Love Waits by Donald James Parker

Love Waits

by Donald James Parker

641,268,033 (4)None

Agreed with core message but do not support a lot of the theological arguments (the Charismatic view) that are stated. ( )
  Stella-T | Jan 18, 2016 |
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

Cheri just moved from a small town in Nebraska to the big city. Her mother died from cancer two years ago and Cheri is at loose ends. She misses her friends and isn't getting along with her dad all too well.

There is a girl at school who has found out that Cheri is a virgin and is trying to get her hooked up. Cheri doesn't know what to believe.

Then in walks her neighbor, a wonderful grandmotherly-type person who leads Cheri to God. Cheri's world changes, and even though there are still times of trouble, life makes a dramatic turn for the better.

I enjoyed the story a lot but had a hard time with some of the beliefs the author had, even though I am a practicing Christian. It is heavy on fundamental faith values. Some of the dialogue is not very realistic, but the struggles that the characters are dealing with are very real - whether you are a Christian or not.

I got caught up with the story and even if you don't believe all that the characters do, you can come away with a good story and start deciding on what you believe about sex, dealing with death, rape, and teenage pregnancy. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 12, 2009 |
I never attended American high school or junior high, so I don’t know what it’s like. And I never had any daughters, so I don’t know what they’d think it was like either.

The school in Love Waits, by Donald James Parker, fits all the clichés that I’ve heard of, with girls discussing their virginity or lack thereof, peer pressure, showers, church youth groups and moderately aggressive religious witnessing. But I liked the way the author indicates that his setting is just one school, without implying that everywhere is the same.

The protagonist, Cheri, has just moved into the city with her father as he starts a new job. She remembers peaceful country lanes, small communities and safe friends, but she finds herself trying to fit in with the local popular girls, who insist she needs to “do it.”

Meanwhile Duke is facing similar peer pressure in the boys’ locker room, and Judy sets them up to meet.

The author handles the shyness and conversation of his two teenagers very realistically. I found myself really enjoying their interactions. And when Cheri’s father meets Duke his over-reaction is eminently plausible. Cheri is grounded, and even given a baby-sitter in the form of their elderly neighbor, leading to a delightful cross-generational friendship.

Soon Cheri is going back to church, and again the author makes it clear that not all churches are the same. All black people aren’t the same. All white people aren’t the same. All rich people, all poor people, all families aren’t the same. And although there are some obvious stereotypes in the story, they are always very cleverly balanced.

Conversation in the church youth group—"We meet every Wednesday night to discuss sexual abstinence…”—turns out to be quite natural, and wise, despite the unpromising introduction. The ultimate outsider, Becky, finally succumbs to the lure of friendship, and the troubles that land on the youngsters’ shoulders lead to a satisfying conclusion.

While the story’s ending may be a little too easy, this is fiction and problems need to be resolved. The story itself is far from simple, and the message is well-delivered. In a complex teenage world, I’d imagine this novel would provide at the very least an interesting talking point, and at best an entertaining, involving, inspiring and educational story. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Sep 4, 2009 |
I deal with teenagers facing this problem every school day. As a teacher I wish I had this book to hand to a couple of my students who had made it very clear they were sexually active.

I laughed, cried and related to a lot of this book. Donald Parker has taken a very tough subject and put it in a way that is non-confrontational to teens. It shows them a way out.

Cheri has moved from a small town to a larger city after her mother's death and her father's promotion. Shortly after starting school she is challenged to change her beliefs about sex before marriage. Her challenger, Judy even offers to hook her up with a guy she knows is a virgin. Cheri almost makes that mistake but on that fateful day she and Duke decide no one should have the right to push them into this decision. Found walking alone with a boy her father finds her a babysitter in her next door neighbor. Jean is a widow and a former flute teacher. She is also a strong Christian. She guides Cheri in her flute lessons and in lessons of the spirit. Cheri begins attending church and she and Duke join a purity class that teaches them about the role of abstinance in their life. Cheri invites Becky, another girl that Judy has constantly ragged on about being a virgin. They along with Tiffany from their church form a strong friendship. When Judy is attacked it is the very people she has verbally attacked that befriend her and lead her to God's love.

This book is about teen problems, rape, abortion, sex before marriage for teens and adults, consequences of bad decisions and true friendship. Most importantly it is about the miracles God can work in your life if you let him. The book was full of scripture which I found refreshing but was not preachy at all. This is definately a book I will add to my shelf at school. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jun 26, 2009 |
After her mother’s death, Cheri has to go with his father’s decision to move out from Nebraska. Leaving her old memories and starting new life in a big city is a big deal for her.
In her school, the 14-year-old Cheri has to face the mean girl society, led by Judy, and her feelings for a mysterious guy. In her home, problems don’t stop there. Cheri has to counter his father’s changing personality as he hopes Cheri to replace his late wife’s task in treating the house and be his little daughter in the same time. Out of those problems, Cheri has to decide what to do with her deeply personal situations, about her virginity.
As a girl from little city, Cheri doesn’t know the life would be in the new city that would be her new home. Having sex in young age is something that has never come across her mind, yet it becomes an issue for her school life. The mean queen, Judy, then tries to hook her up with a guy. For her surprise, the guy is her crush, Duke.
Duke and Cheri meet and decide to stay who they are. Life takes Cheri with her father disapproval on her relationship with Duke, and let her trapped into a protective mode life at home after school. The unexpected Mrs. Macalester grabs Cheri to her real passion in flute and into the world where she doesn’t feel lonely. With her, Cheri is able to see the other side of the world, while she pursues to get her life back on track.

My review: Donald James Parker has succeeded to bring this issue of teenage life in 21st century in a very clear example through the book. Also, the acceptable message regarding the issue on wise thoughts, within the belief of Christianity, is written very well and logical.
The chemistry among the characters is seen very moving. Cheri really represents an image of young girl coming from small town and the words of her mind really showing how she feels about the fear and lost she has been into. The life told in the book amazingly puts us on how if we’re in the life that Cheri has, including past events and characters she meets.
Although the story is about searching real self and principle of life, it doesn’t lose any points for romantic scenes and family value.

I recommend this book for teenage girls and boys as well, who is seeking their life path and power of faith.

Cheri is an innocent fourteen-year-old raised in a small town in Nebraska. Her father lands a promotion, demoting her to a status of 'nobody' in a much larger and inhospitable city. One of the few people she connects with in her new school spills the beans that Cheri is still a virgin. Some of her cool schoolmates exert pressure on her to unbuckle the chastity belt. Faced with the loneliness of the new environment and coupled with relationship problems with her father, Cheri finds the temptation growing strong. When her father recruits a sixty-something babysitter, she is ready to rebel. However, she finds that Jean Macalester is no ordinary woman. Jean's womanly wisdom, background as a flute teacher, and love of God provide a counterweight to the peer pressure of Judy Green, the girl who goes on a crusade to convert Cheri to modern morality. When Cheri and Duke Williams, Cheri's new crush, discover the church youth group plans a chastity pledge, they have to decide whether to join or fly solo.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:16 -0400)

Donald James Parker is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,545,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible