The Last Apprentice: Clash of the Demons by…

The Last Apprentice: Clash of the Demons (2009)

by Joseph Delaney

I can't quite put my finger on it, but the first four books of The Last Apprentice were non-stop entertainment for me. I can find no flaws with them, considering the age-group they were written for.

The fifth book brought all that to a halt and, even being a very short kid's book, was a bit of a struggle for me to get through, and the thing is I can't even put my finger on why.

This book brought back more of that intangible element that I loved about the series in the first place, but not enough to warrant a higher rating, seeing as how probably eighty percent of my enjoyment came from the last seventy pages or so. Everything leading up to that felt like a slog.

that being said, it does set up a lot of things and I'm hoping book seven will be better. ( )
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
So this series has gone from simple and fight a dark foe to massive battles against the dark forces. Such a good story with actual implications to decisions made. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Clash of the Demons was full of action. And demons. It is the 6th installment in The Last Apprentice series. The tension is there from the start.

Thomas Ward's mother (mam) is coming to visit. She has something important to discuss. Truns out she is about to embark on quest. She needs her son's help. And The Spook's. They need to travel to mam's hometown in Greece. The Ordeen is about to return to earth. It happens every seven years. She gets stronger each time. With the Fiend loose (previous books), and the ordeen coming, the entire world is in danger of being taken over by dark forces. The only problem -- Mam's other alleys include the witches from Pendle.

The Spook refuses to help. He will not join forces with evil to fight evil. He tells Thomas Ward to make a choice. If Thomas decides to help his mother, then he can forget about his apprenticeship. It is a tough choice, and Thomas is not sure what is the right thing to do. All he knows for sure is that he can't turn his back on his mother.

We get to see Spook, Bill Arkwright. The journey is long and dangerous. Ordeen is about to wake up, and the Fiend is ready to attack the group. Sacrifices are made, difficult choices are made, and heartache is shared by all ... by all who survive.

Another fantastic book by Joseph Delaney. Getting ready to start Book 7 next.

Phillip Tomasso
Author of Damn the Dead, and Young Blood: The Nightbreed Saga ( )
  ptom3 | May 2, 2015 |
Overall the tone of this book hasn't been like the other books. It's a great deal slower, and it surely is a lot more advanced. I am liking that there is a lot more monsters in this book compared to the previous in the series.
There are epic consequences from the parties traveling to Greece, but you'll have to read it for yourself to find out how it turns out.
Cheers and Spooky Reading! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
The 6th book in the series and the 2nd I've read. Received from the publisher via a goodreads giveaway, in return for a review.
Tom, the spook's apprentice, has to go on a long adventure in order to defeat the Ordeen. There are lots of battles along the way, lots of different characters and emotional dilemmas.
Well written and interesting. I'm actually really looking forward to reading this series from the beginning. ( )
  claireh18 | Oct 11, 2013 |
For Marie
I awoke suddenly with the urgent sense that something was wrong

Tom is reunited with his mother and must return to Greece to face a new and terrible threat from the dark forces, and a momentous decision must be made, causing a serious rift between Tom and the Spook that threatens to separate them forever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,572,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible