The Magician's Elephant by Kate…

The Magician's Elephant (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kate DiCamillo, Yoko Tanaka (Illustrator)

1,4201115,321 (3.92)65
Title:The Magician's Elephant
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Other authors:Yoko Tanaka (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 208 pages

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo (2009)

Recently added bySharpop, dukem5702, kilaschoolmt, davidgn, private library, cabyrum

English (109)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (111)
This is taking us a dreadfully long time to read aloud, because neither of us really cares to read the next chapter. So nights pass, sometimes we remember to continue, sometimes we read other things or talk for an hour. We're finishing it to finish it, but really, we think it's just "okay" so far (chapter 7).

Update: Chapter 9--Morgan said he was "looking forward to reading" this tonight. We read a quick chapter and he didn't ask to continue. He's predicted an ending.

Upon finishing: It was cute. A magical happily-ever-after fairy tale. I don't see what's so amazing about it, and all of our predictions came true, of course. My 9-year-old ended up really liking it, though. I guess.

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Really liked this book. FInde myself pausing whenever I say "But you don't understand...." and wanting to finish with "... I was crippled.... crippled by an elephant!".

Nice little magical tale ... it's certainly DiCamillio'ian .. and that's fine by me. ( )
  Industrialstr | Aug 7, 2015 |
Another magical adventure. I'm continually disturbed by the fact that what was imo opinion her weakest book turned out to be the one made into such a popular movie. I hope people were turned onto this enchantress by "Because of Winn-Dixie" and are now enjoying these more complex and creative works. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Response - I really enjoyed this book, which read like a fairy tale. I thought that the pacing was just right and the characters simple but realistic.

Curricular connection - read aloud, reading groups
  jegammon | Feb 11, 2015 |
I recommend this book to people who enjoy adventure stories. This book is about how an elephant is conjured
by a magician through an opera house roof and has to be conjured home by the magician. There is a man who has to follow the elephant around with a bucket and a shovel for the whole book. I feel really bad for him! Sometimes the story gets a little sad, but it is a darn good book. ( )
  SampsonK | Jan 12, 2015 |
DiCamillo writes here in a register entirely her own, catching not the ­whimsical-fabulous note of earlier masters for young readers, nor the jokey-realistic one that has too often taken its place, but instead a mood of sober magic that unfolds into something that can be called, without pejorative, “sentimental,” meaning straightforward and heartfelt. The style may evoke Calvino, but the substance belongs to Christmas.
added by melmore | editNational Public Radio (Oct 20, 2009)

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tanaka, YokoIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
For H.S.L. and A.M.T.
They walked ahead of me.K.D.
For Daniel Favini, who magically appeared in my life and made my world blossom. Y.T.
At the end of the century before last, in the market square of the city of Baltese, there stood a boy with a hat on his head and a coin in his hand.
"I intended lilies", said the magician.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763644102, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2009: Newbery Medalist Kate DiCamillo--author of The Tale of Despereaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane-- has crafted another exquisite novel for young readers. The Magician's Elephant tells the tale of Peter Augustus Duchene, a ten-year-old orphan who receives an unbelievable piece of information from the local fortuneteller. Peter learns that his fate is tied to an elephant that has inexplicably fallen from the sky when a magician's trick goes terribly wrong. Why did it happen? And, how can an elephant possibly change the course of Peter's life? This darkly atmospheric, yet hopeful tale, demonstrates that when the answers to life’s big questions are opaque or unforthcoming, all is not lost. DiCamillo's rhythmic writing, combined with Yoko Tanaka's mysterious black-and-white illustrations, enchants and calls out to our sincerest wishes and dreams (recommended for readers ages 8-13). --Lauren Nemroff

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:53 -0400)

When ten-year-old orphan Peter Augustus Duchene encounters a fortune teller in the marketplace one day and she tells him that his sister, who is presumed dead, is in fact alive, he embarks on a remarkable series of adventures as he desperately tries to find her.… (more)

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763644102, 0763648000

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,708,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible