The Magician's Elephant by Kate…

The Magician's Elephant (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kate DiCamillo, Yoko Tanaka (Illustrator)

Member:YongDC
Title:The Magician's Elephant
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Other authors:Yoko Tanaka (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 208 pages

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo (2009)

English (111)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (113)
“At the end of the century before last…” Peter Augustus Duchene (a young orphan boy) comes upon a fortune teller in the market. He simply must find out if his sister lives and how to get to her! The answer is unexpected – “You must follow the elephant. She will lead you there.” An elephant?! What elephant?

And so begins an adventure of the spirit, of hoping against all odds, of believing in the impossible, of love, of loneliness, of trust, of forgiveness. DiCamillo’s prose is magical and evocative. The book begs to be read aloud (and I kept reading sections to anyone who would listen). Yoko Tanaka’s soft pencil illustrations are the perfect complement to DiCamillo’s heartfelt story. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 2, 2016 |
Really sweet book about how magic and an elephant guide two orphaned siblings back into each others lives. Love Kate DiCamillo! ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |
The story has a Dickens-like feel to it that makes it intriguing and fresh. The side stories introduce additional characters and events along the way, and while they are tied up nicely at the end, it was aggravating to be in the middle of something and then go off on a tangent.

There's more to our review. Visit the The Reading Tub® to see why we recommend this book. You can add your review, too.
  TheReadingTub | Jan 4, 2016 |
Peter was orphaned as a child and his sister was stillborn. When a fortuneteller tells him his sister is, in fact, alive and an elephant will take him to her, he holds onto hope.

This is a quick little book, and it was ok, but nothing special for me. In fact, I found parts of it a little odd. I read the e-book and there were illustrations, but I bet the illustrations would have been nicer in a physical book. ( )
  LibraryCin | Dec 9, 2015 |
This is taking us a dreadfully long time to read aloud, because neither of us really cares to read the next chapter. So nights pass, sometimes we remember to continue, sometimes we read other things or talk for an hour. We're finishing it to finish it, but really, we think it's just "okay" so far (chapter 7).

Update: Chapter 9--Morgan said he was "looking forward to reading" this tonight. We read a quick chapter and he didn't ask to continue. He's predicted an ending.

Upon finishing: It was cute. A magical happily-ever-after fairy tale. I don't see what's so amazing about it, and all of our predictions came true, of course. My 9-year-old ended up really liking it, though. I guess.

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
DiCamillo writes here in a register entirely her own, catching not the ­whimsical-fabulous note of earlier masters for young readers, nor the jokey-realistic one that has too often taken its place, but instead a mood of sober magic that unfolds into something that can be called, without pejorative, “sentimental,” meaning straightforward and heartfelt. The style may evoke Calvino, but the substance belongs to Christmas.

added by melmore | editNational Public Radio (Oct 20, 2009)

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tanaka, YokoIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
For H.S.L. and A.M.T.
They walked ahead of me.K.D.
For Daniel Favini, who magically appeared in my life and made my world blossom. Y.T.
At the end of the century before last, in the market square of the city of Baltese, there stood a boy with a hat on his head and a coin in his hand.
"I intended lilies", said the magician.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763644102, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2009: Newbery Medalist Kate DiCamillo--author of The Tale of Despereaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane-- has crafted another exquisite novel for young readers. The Magician's Elephant tells the tale of Peter Augustus Duchene, a ten-year-old orphan who receives an unbelievable piece of information from the local fortuneteller. Peter learns that his fate is tied to an elephant that has inexplicably fallen from the sky when a magician's trick goes terribly wrong. Why did it happen? And, how can an elephant possibly change the course of Peter's life? This darkly atmospheric, yet hopeful tale, demonstrates that when the answers to life’s big questions are opaque or unforthcoming, all is not lost. DiCamillo's rhythmic writing, combined with Yoko Tanaka's mysterious black-and-white illustrations, enchants and calls out to our sincerest wishes and dreams (recommended for readers ages 8-13). --Lauren Nemroff

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:53 -0400)

When ten-year-old orphan Peter Augustus Duchene encounters a fortune teller in the marketplace one day and she tells him that his sister, who is presumed dead, is in fact alive, he embarks on a remarkable series of adventures as he desperately tries to find her.… (more)

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763644102, 0763648000

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 1 books! | Top bar: Always visible