Born of Fire by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Born of Fire

by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Series: League (2)

8192417,673 (4.12)11
"...Syn was raised as a tech-thief until his livelihood uncovered a truth that could end his life. He tried to destroy the evidence and has been on the run ever since. Now trained as an assassin, he allows no one to threaten him. Ever. He is the darkness that swallows his enemies whole. Shahara Dagan is the best bounty hunter in the universe. When Syn comes back on the radar, she's the only one who can bring him to justice. There's only one problem: Syn is a close family friend who's helped out the Dagans countless times. But if she saves him, both of their lives will be on the line..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

MUCH better than the first. Still a little over-dramatic, but I loved the angst and the tough-but-traumatized hero and heroine. ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
While listening:

Already two issues and I'm only a disc in. First, change in narrator, which means no consistency with the pronunciation of names. Two there's a plot glitch. For this to fit into the timeline of the first book, he should already know who's attacking him, because he and NyKierian discussed it.

At least this is being laid out more like a science fiction romance, rather than a science fiction book that becomes a romance. There is a much better flow and no sudden right turn.

Syn called it Halo syndrome, but it was the Helen Keller effect that he was describing, I think.

-----
Ah , Syn. Definitely one of my favorite characters.

For how this book overlays the timeline of Born of Night, there were a few glitches, plot wise. When Syn and Shahara show up at the hospital for Kiera to give birth, they hadn't known Syn was alive, yet here, Shahara and Nykierian spoke while he was incarcerated?

This definitely fills in many blanks as to why Syn is the way he is. I enjoyed it, even if a few scenes were ... extraneous.

Admittedly, for someone who hunts criminals, even someone of such a Just alignment as Shahara, she's a bit of a noob regarding criminals. Makes me wonder how she caught some of those she did. And her stealth and common sense when dealing with things seemed a bit ... off. Seriously. The girl was supposed to be a bad arse fighter, yet acted too much like a princess smitten with the knight, while not noticing the dragon he tried to slay. I could definitely rate this higher, were it not for her characterization. ( )
  gilroy | Aug 10, 2016 |
No matter what genre Sherrilyn writes, her books are hard to put down, including this series. She has a way with words that always keeps me hooked on her series and anxious to read them all.

Syn has spent most of his life running from authorities and being judged harshly because he couldn't help being the son of the most notorious killer in the the universe. All but those who work with him assume the worst when in fact he's far from being his father's prodigy and is the kind of guy you want on your side.

Shahara spent most of her young life raising her brother and sister when her parents passed away and left a lot of debt. She is the kind of gal that most guys are leery of particularly if they are in trouble with the law. She's one of the best tracers in the universe and is a well known seax. When her sister is put in the hospital for being with the wrong people, it's up to Shahara to find a way to pay for her stay. Desperate to save her sister, she takes on the contract of finding Syn to give to the authorities to be able to have enough money for her sister and pay off other debts her siblings have accumulated. Little does she know how much this desperate act will change her life forever.

Shahara and Syn are thrown together in a strange sort of irony and soon realize there's more than meets the eye with each other. Shahara may soon come to regret something that could very well be a matter of life or death. Will they take a shot at the growing feelings between each other or let them pass by? And will they be able to make their way through many close calls and come out on top?

You'll have to read this book to find out. It will be more than worth it! If romance, adventure, a dash of comedy and a futuristic setting are things you enjoy, you'll love this book! ( )
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
Soooooo awesome!
  giraffkrzy | Feb 17, 2016 |
4.5 This is my second time reading this book. First time was good second time on audio was better- I'd love to find myself some Syn to indulge my fantasies. He's just such a macho, sensitive, heartbroken, smart ass, ripped, intelligent, handsome, damaged, scared, predator, self made, man of most women's dreams. He is incarcerated wrongly, physically abused, lied to, and cheated by almost everyone he has ever known, and yet he still gives and loves. His past is not caused by his doing but of his fathers, the most notorious nasty on the books. There seem to be very few who let him forget he is his fathers son, He is alone.
The story follows the familiar path, broken man meets broken women. They don't get along, one have nefarious actions hidden to the other, There will be betrayals, lust, hate and love, all delivered painfully. They grow to know each other and what unfolds is wondrous to watch. It is a great love story with a nice geeky scifi twist.
Just pure enjoyment for my ears ! ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
(prologue) "They're going to kill me, Shay. I need your help."
(chapter 1) Hell had many interpretations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,378,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible