Have a Little Faith: A True Story by Mitch…

Have a Little Faith: A True Story

by Mitch Albom

What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Matheson is a genius story teller. This novel is about death, the afterlife and love. It is beautifully written and I think it would compliment Have a Little Faith.

As I've said before, I have a kind of love/hate response to Mitch Albom's books. The whole religious slant thing he does always feels so cliche and marketed Still, he knows how to spin a story, and I appreciate that. I think it's the sports writer in him. I remember back when I worked for a newspaper, our sports department always had the best writers. (To be clear, I couldn't care less about sports. I wouldn't walk across the street to see a game of any kind if it were free unless maybe the players were little kids just playing for fun. So when I say they sports writers were good, I mean they wrote well enough to make me interested--even for a few minutes--in something I couldn't care less about otherwise.)

This book contains two simple, intertwined stories. The first begins when Mitch Albom's family rabbi asks Albom to speak at his funeral, and Albom in turn requests that he have a chance to get to know the rabbi as a man rather than a teacher. The second story is about a minister who once was a violent criminal and who tries to help the homeless in Detroit's inner city. The plot is predictable and the story unabashedly emotionally manipulative, but it's still good storytelling. ( )
  Yaaresse | Apr 24, 2018 |
Warmed my heart and filled my soul; brought me closer to my memories of my Poppy and my mother; will become a gift I need to give to a few people who will live forever in my heart. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
good inspirational book, easy to read ( )
  rmcdevitt4 | Aug 2, 2017 |
Straightforward and real. With some parts I really needed to read right about now. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
I'd give it a 3.5 rating ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Albom writes, as he always does, with a loving hand, revealing great intimacies that touch the heart. Like TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE, HAVE A LITTLE FAITH reminds us that, despite our differences, we are all human beings experiencing life, love, hatred and death; with any luck in our lifetimes, we will “be satisfied,” “be grateful.”

Finally, a book for my father, Ira Albom, in whom I have always believed
In the beginning, there was a question.
"Will you do my eulogy?"

The author tells the story of two incredible men whose lives demonstrate what faith is all about. They impacted his life, and now--without ever having met them--they will impact yours.

When an eighty-two-year-old rabbi from Albom's old hometown asks him to deliver his eulogy, Albom goes back to his nonfiction roots and becomes involved with a Detroit pastor--a reformed drug dealer and convict--who preaches to the poor and homeless in a decaying church with a hole in its roof. A timely, moving, and inspiring look at faith: not just who believes, but why.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mitch Albom's book Have a Little Faith was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Hyperion and Voice

2 editions of this book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 0786868724, 140131046X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,530,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible