Have a Little Faith: A True Story

by Mitch Albom

When an eighty-two-year-old rabbi from Albom's old hometown asks him to deliver his eulogy, Albom goes back to his nonfiction roots and becomes involved with a Detroit pastor--a reformed drug dealer and convict--who preaches to the poor and homeless in a decaying church with a hole in its roof. A timely, moving, and inspiring look at faith: not just who believes, but why.… (more)
    What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Matheson is a genius story teller. This novel is about death, the afterlife and love. It is beautifully written and I think it would compliment Have a Little Faith.

English (139)  French (1)  All languages (140)
Audiobook read by the author
3.5***

As he did with his breakout work, Tuesdays With Morrie, Albom recounts his interviews / conversations with his rabbi, who asked him to give the eulogy at “The Reb’s” funeral. Albom figured he needed to know more about the man and spent several years visiting with the Reb, learning about his way of living his faith.

In the meantime, Albom also came across a compelling story on his Detroit beat. Henry Covington was the pastor of I Am My Brother’s Keeper Ministry. He, too, was called “The Reb” but his congregation was very different from that of Rabbi Lewis, and his path to the pulpit was unusual, to say the least.

And yet, both men, in the ways they led their lives exemplified faith and compassion and dignity and humility and courage and love.

There were a couple of times when I bristled at the feeling of being emotionally manipulated, but I knew going in what kind of work I was likely to experience. This isn’t the first book by Albom that I’ve read. In the end, I found it moving and thought-provoking, comforting and challenging.

Albom narrated the audiobook himself. I cannot imagine anyone else doing a better job of it.

One final note. The book has a subtitle: "A True Story" That seemed superfluous. Would readers really think this was fiction? ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 23, 2022 |
Albom's Have a Little Faith is another exquisite 'pearl' to add to his other beautiful 'pearls of wisdom.'
Albom interviews 2 very different men of faith: Rabbi Albert Lewis and Pastor Henry Covington, but with so much in common.

Gently Albom asks virtually all the questions about religion most of us want to know. The responses he gets illuminate the faith, love and passion within the hearts and souls of Lewis and Covington, and why they attract thousands of people to them.

This lovely book is concise, insightful, filled with human kindness and understanding. Powerfully dazzling!
  Bookish59 | May 30, 2021 |
Mitch Albom has a way of telling a touching story and making the reader connect with the characters. In that respect, I enjoyed this book, in that I felt like I truly knew Reb and that he was telling his stories directly to me.

On the other hand, I felt this was Albom's weakest attempt so far. I thought his other books told much stronger stories and created stronger connections between reader and character. I would still recommend this as a quick read when you need some inspiration though! ( )
  CASDonnelly218 | Feb 1, 2021 |
I like this better than the other Albom books I have read. I find it honest and down-to-earth. ( )
  siok | Nov 29, 2020 |
Mitch Albom is an inspirational writer, and I don't quite have a bookshelf for that category. I enjoyed it, I was touched by it. I recommend it. I mentioned it to my family this evening. Woven through this book is the author's gradual understanding of how Jews and Christians and people without faith, even without hope learn to relate. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
Albom writes, as he always does, with a loving hand, revealing great intimacies that touch the heart. Like TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE, HAVE A LITTLE FAITH reminds us that, despite our differences, we are all human beings experiencing life, love, hatred and death; with any luck in our lifetimes, we will “be satisfied,” “be grateful.”

Finally, a book for my father, Ira Albom, in whom I have always believed
In the beginning, there was a question.
"Will you do my eulogy?"

The author tells the story of two incredible men whose lives demonstrate what faith is all about. They impacted his life, and now--without ever having met them--they will impact yours.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mitch Albom's book Have a Little Faith was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Hyperion and Voice

2 editions of this book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 0786868724, 140131046X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,442,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible