The Sinful Life of Lucy Burns by Elizabeth…

The Sinful Life of Lucy Burns

by Elizabeth Leiknes

I wanted to read this book after I read a review at Dear Author. Unfortunately, it was not available at amazon or book depository at the time (eta: it is now though!). So I did what anyone would do, I suggested my library get it and they did. And guess who was number one on the wait list? *g*

And the wait was worth it. Once I started this book, I couldn't put it down. And coming in at only 167 pages, it was a quick read. Quick but thoroughly enjoyable. I liked everything about the book except it's length. LOL

When Lucy was 11, her sister was hit by a truck and was in a coma. Lucy wrote a letter To Whom It May Concern begging for her sister's life and that letter was answered. So now Lucy works for you know who. There's a portal to hell in her basement and her dog Pluto is actually a hellhound. He helps round up Lucy's marks. And after facilitating for so long, Lucy is tired. She wants a normal life. As part of the job, she can't have friends, boyfriends and cannot have contact with her family. Now she wants what she can't have. And with the help of her musical idol, Lucy thinks she can get it.

Lucy...oh Lucy. She is one of those characters you'll think about long after the book is done. She's my kind of girl. Even though she works for you know who, she's not an evil person. She's ridding the world of evil, one person at a time. And in some cases, even groups at a time! LOL She has a soft spot for her neighbour's kid, always helping him out with homework and such. And her sense of humour! I love her sense of humour. And she makes lists. And she has crazy ideas that I can totally get behind:
A La Carte-Blanche was Luke's favorite restaurant, and I knew why immediately upon arrival. As its name implied, the notion of choice was paramount. The decor was, in fact, a clean slate-white walls, white tablecloths, white dishes.

It was so blank it made me want to take a black marker and scribble random thoughts on every flat surface. I imagined penning "sea turtle" on the white door, "lemon meringue" on the white-tiled floor, and "serendipity" on the milky-countered bar.
I can get behind that. LOL

And Luke is the man that Lucy can see herself being with. He's totally hot. And you gotta give a guy kudos for giving Lucy a second chance. You see, the first time they meet is hilarious and sad (hilarious for the reader, sad for Lucy). And then you gotta give Lucy kudos for giving him a second shot...because he does something a little bit stupid before he really knows her. But no one is perfect and that makes these two pretty damn perfect for each other. Luke was totally yummy.

Also, I really enjoyed the fact that the big showdown with You Know Who didn't drag on forever. It was quick and dirty and that's the way its done best. The Sinful Life of Lucy Burns gets a B from me. It was funny and it had some great characters. Definitely check it out if you see it somewhere. ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |

I can get behind that. LOL

ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
A quick and enjoyable read, but without much substance. ( )
  tahoegirl | May 23, 2010 |
This was the first book I read for the April 2010 24-Hour Read-a-Thon. I picked it up at 8 AM on Saturday morning and finished it roughly ninety minutes later. I might not have been fully awake when I first started reading it, but there is something about Lucy and her plight that makes one forget about needing coffee and completely absorbs your thoughts.

Ms. Leiknes did a fantastic job of presenting a classic good versus evil morality tale, with her own added twist. Lucy is funny, likeable, and snarky. The snark definitely lightens the message but allows the reader to relate to Lucy, even if she can eat all the chocolate she wants without gaining weight.

At 167 pages, there does not appear to be much there, but Ms. Leiknes does a tremendous job of raising questions - what makes people good versus evil? Is it one's job, one's thoughts, one's actions, one's intentions, or a combination thereof? In addition, she demonstrates very clearly that one should also be careful of what one wishes - in a very literal sense. More importantly, she presents a great lesson on empathy and the need to always get to know the full story before making assumptions.

The Sinful Life of Lucy Burns is deliciously fun in its snarkiness, but it does have a very serious message about having it all and being careful for what you wish. This is no fairy tale in the Disney sense but rather a tale for today's age - one where the bad and the good guys are difficult to discern. A quick read, I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a lighthearted good versus evil story. Lucy Burns will charm her way into any reader's heart!
  jmchshannon | Apr 17, 2010 |
Who would have the nastiness, the evil, the just plain meanness to take advantage of a ten year old kid's plea for help? Satan would, that's who!

When Lucy's sister, Ellen, has a terrible accident, Lucy turns to their playhouse mailbox. She leaves a note, a plea really, for the survival of her sister. Her only mistake was a certain vagueness in addressing it: "To Whom it May Concern" is not very exact, unfortunately. But it got a reply, and her sister recovered.

As the years went by, Lucy managed to forget about that reply, and the creepy "I'll be in touch" included within it. She even managed to overlook the birthday phone calls that she received thereafter, the ones that asked what she wished for and somehow granted those wishes, even when the wishes were for a prettier face and bigger boobs.

Then, in her first year of college, the Devil came to collect his due. Lucy was placed in his ranks as a "facilitator." There are some high points: she never ages, can eat anything she wants without gaining a pound. And she gets to do away with the some really evil humans, sending them down her basement stairs to hell. But the drawbacks are huge. She has to sever her link with her family, for fear of causing them harm. And she is not allowed to have a close relationship with a man, no boyfriends, husband, children, nothing like that. She is lonely.

After years of serving as Satan's minion, Lucy's luck turns one day when she learns that there is a way out. A loophole. By fulfilling three tasks, she can return to her normal life and be free of the job, and the boss, that she hates. But, of course, the tasks are not easy. They take ingenuity and courage, will Lucy have enough of both to break the bargain that she made when she was just a kid?

This book was such fun! It is well written, has some hilarious scenes and a truly likable heroine. The story moves along at a brisk pace, it is a short book that just speeds by. The whole thing is charming and quirky, it even contains some nods to classic literature. Try not to like this book...go ahead, try. I'll bet you won't be able to. It is lovable. I, for one, will be fascinated to see where Elizabeth Leiknes takes us next. ( )
2 vote thetometraveller | Nov 30, 2009 |

Lucy Burns wants a normal life: friends, love, and a family of her own. And she could have it all if only she could break free from the job she hates. That job? Facilitator to hell. And her boss is a real devil. At the age of eleven, to save her sister's life, Lucy writes a desperate letter to "To Whom It May Concern", but when He writes back, Lucy is bound for life. There are perks: sure she's ageless, she's beautiful, and she can eat as much chocolate as she wants and never get fat, but there are also consequences. She can never see her family again. She can never have a boyfriend. She must spend her life leading sinners to their demise. After nineteen years of doing the Devil s dirty work, Lucy wants out, but it all seems hopeless until Teddy Nightingale, her easy listening music idol, gives her the answer: a little-known loophole. If she succeeds, Lucy gets love, happiness, and everything she ever really wanted. But the consequences? They're considerably worse than death. To make it through, Lucy must decide what is evil and what is good, what is right and what is wrong, and if, in the end, there's ever any way to truly know. Smart, sassy, fun, and wickedly funny, "The Sinful Life of Lucy Burns" is a fast and stunning read perfect for any occasion. Elizabeth Leiknes's fresh writing and comic wit will stick with you long after you've put the book down.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,932,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible