The Intuitive Body: Aikido as a Clairsentient Practice

by Wendy Palmer

Intuitive Body draws on the principles of the Japanese martial art aikido and meditation to present a unique method of cultivating awareness, attention, and self-acceptance. Wendy Palmer shows us through basic practice and partner exercises how we can become more aware of the body and trust its wisdom. Palmer introduces exercises from her Conscious Embodiment and Intuition Training program, connecting movement, meditation, and breathing in a daily practice which can help the process of integration, of deepening and unifying ourselves, and learning to deal with our fear and aggression.… (more)

from cover 'For Wendy Palmer, the martial arts mat is a laboratory of the human spirit, a place less for demonstrating perfect, invulnerable technique than for exploring the mysteries of imperfection, the uses of vulnerability. 'Now this scientist of the spirit has distilled her learning to date in a strikingly original book. 'The Intuitive Body is by no means just for marital artists, but rather for all those who want ot rediscover, in her words, a part of ourselves that is wise, kind, and capable of clear and powerful embodied action.'--from the Introduction by George Leonard The Intuitive Body draws on the priniciples of the Japanese martial art aikido to present a unique method for cultivating awareness and attention. Wendy Palmer shows us through aikido exercises with a partner how we can become more aware of the body and trust its wisdom. Using exercises from her Conscious Embodiment and Intuition Training program, Palmer connects ordinary movement, meditation, and breathing. Grounding attention in our physical movement can release fear, giving us choices in difficult situations. Wendy Palmer is a 4th degree black belt in aikido. She co-founded and teaches at the Tamalpais Aikido Dojo in Mill Valley, California and currently directs the Prison Integrated Health Project, a women's program at Santa Rita Correctional Facility.
  IrimiNow | Feb 12, 2011 |
Wendy Palmer applies aikido principles to mindfulness meditation. The aikido aspect is actually a fairly small part of the book, though you could argue that to the extent that it informs her practice, aikido is central to the book. The book works on a nice, secular primer on meditation. I especially liked her emphasis on making the body a part of mindfulness practice and on the idea of creating a space of openess and curiousity. I suspect I will be coming back to this book from time to time for inspiration. ( )
  CarlosMcRey | May 30, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,897,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible