Marx for Beginners by Rius

Marx for Beginners (original 1976; edition 2003)

by Rius

A cartoon book about Marx? Are you sure it's Karl, not Groucho? How can you summarize the work of Karl Marx in cartoons? It took Rius to do it. He's put it all in: the origins of Marxist philosophy, history, economics; of capital, labor, the class struggle, socialism. And there's a biography of "Charlie" Marx besides. Like the companion volumes in the series, Marx for Beginners is accurate, understandable, and very, very funny.… (more)
Member:textivore
Title:Marx for Beginners
Authors:Rius
Info:Pantheon (2003), Paperback, 160 pages

Marx for Beginners by Rius (1976)

Recently added byCalifas1, GreteM, nehou, skneils, private library, Gurdrewhousehold, dwalkup
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose

Teaching this for class this week. It's kind of silly—Rius sort of oscillates between annoying and reductive snark and really, really clear explanations. It's fine for some high school students who haven't heard of Marx before but. ( )
  jshttnbm | May 14, 2020 |
I don't get on well with philosophy and social sciences at the whole because words seem so imperfect and insubstantial compared to the simple beauty of formal and natural sciences, so my review isn't really objective. But I'm trying to fathom some basic ideas to not be plain stupid. This book works well in this case. It pays a lot of attention to history and evolution of philosophy which helps to understand difference between idealism and materialism, dialectical and metaphysical. I feel that this duality and antagonism are probably simplicated, but wiki page on "Metaphysics" causes me a headache, so this simplicity is welcome.
As for the Marx theory, it was not a revelation. Raised in post Soviet country, I happened to have a good grasp of this idea without really noticing it. It's strange that being born in the first years of independance I know every big phrases from this book. I even have a feeling that I've read The Communist Manifesto before, but it's impossible. Obviously, it's a knowledge of the Soviet time history. They really tried to build a socialism (or showed their trying), so big reforms, especially the early ones, correspond well to the manifesto.
Said it, I don't understand author's occasional praising of Lenin. Because you cannot be serious to praise any man who tried to make Marx theories into practice.

So, I recommend this book who want to understand the basic principles, especially if you are bad in philosophy. Though, it's not very easy to read, but much better than usual school books.
1 vote aviskase | Nov 26, 2015 |
Right, let me be honest from the start, I am no Marxist. Marx, however, is a significant figure and it is as well to have a grasp of his philosophy. Surely, I hear you say, the best way to do that is to read Marx's writings. Have you tried reading Karl's oeuvre, without help?

Rius has produced a comic book style offering which contains a surprising amount of serious information. Topics which I have read in Marx's books suddenly make more sense. I would still consider myself to be a non-Maxist socialist, but at least I may claim a basic understanding of his beliefs.

The book does use humour and is unashamedly pro Marx but, neither of these facts should, in any way, deter your reading of same. The text goes surprisingly deep but somehow remains comprehensible.

This is the first of the 'For Beginners' series that I have read, I shall certainly look out for other examples. ( )
1 vote the.ken.petersen | Jan 18, 2014 |
It's written in comic book form and while I hate comic books it's incredibly reader friendly and does a great job of making Marx very accessible. It's my #1 most recommended book to people who are interested in Marx. Plus, it's cute. ( )
1 vote agnesmack | Sep 5, 2011 |
This was a very good read, though confusing, at times, due to it's somewhat comic-book style. It is CLEARLY written from a pro-Marx perspective. On more than one occasion it made some very clear attacks on religion in general, but especially Christianity. If you are searching for a "new philosophy," I would not recommend this, due to it's clear bias. If you are fairly confident, in your ability to objectively analyze information, and discern fact from bias, then I would recommend this. It does seem to give a fairly extensive view of the ideologies behind Marxism, without getting bogged down in the mundane mechanics of it. Ironically, after reading this, I am even more convinced that Marxism cannot work, because it requires you to start with some assumptions about mankind, which I can't agree with, nor do I see any evidence for. All in all, a good read, with some good information. ( )
1 vote WCallister | Dec 4, 2009 |

Riusprimary authorall editionscalculated
psevd. for Eduardo del Rio Riusmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Appignanesi, RichardTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,493,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible