The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the… (2009)

by Gretchen Rubin

A thoughtful and prescriptive work on happiness filled with practical advice, sharp insight, charm, and humor.

English (161)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (162)
A combination of 12 mini books, each in the form as a months goals. Somewhat a condensed version of Getting Things Done, relationship advice, family, friendship, religion and time. One interesting insight by Gretchen was the comment that Agnostics/Athiests read biographies to identify with people for a similar reason that Catholics read the bible. Some good insights and many good reminders on how to be happy. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
I got some good ideas and some inspiration and that was the point. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Interesting but i'm not sure its going to change my life in any way. ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Feb 1, 2021 |
This was a worthwhile in not entirely innovative read. I really enjoyed the premise of finding happiness in your everyday life. I also liked the fact that Rubin broke it all down into accessible chapters, focusing on one new theme each month. She has a good voice and I did like Rubin for most of the book, though she borders on a tad self-righteous and too-perfect at times. To give her credit, though, she recognizes these faults and is quick to point out her failures. Overall, I'm glad to have read it though it wasn't earth-shattering information. ( )
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
I actually really like this, and I was surprised that the book had garnered the low star reviews and all their accompanying reverie.

Gretchen has obviously thoroughly researched her drive to be happy, and jumps feet first in when trying all the techniques she has identified, then is happy to report on their success or failure in her mission.

I don’t see that her life circumstances detract from this at all, yes many people are far worse off, but that is never a reason to not live your best life, or indeed, improve upon your lot. As humankind slowly realise that *everyone* has mental health, surely we should support endeavours to seek a peaceful and happier life?

I’m glad Gretchen discusses her faults and failures so openly. It balances the book, one that was all happy-happiness with a bit of zen on top would be far too saccharine. Mind you, in the Pollyanna week, I’d have maybe screamed into more than one cushion, if it were in my house. There are times when one should embrace their inner grouch, as it is just so much fun. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
A fun, funny and wise book written by Gretchen Rubin, a regular HuffingtonPost.com contributor, it's a distillation of the wisdom of the ages on happiness. It provides eminently practical ways to amplify your happiness pretty much immediately (e.g. gossip less; exercise more; launch a pet project).

(Video review follows)

I had fun reading about Rubin's triumphs, insights, and failures. She's honest about her frustrating experiences, which are often more interesting that her successful ones.

If you are interested in clarifying your reasons to become uncluttered, are looking to be happier, or simply enjoy the genre of “a year in the life” style books, I recommend checking out The Happiness Project. It’s a great reminder for not letting the joys of life pass you by.
added by bongiovi | editUnclutterer Blog (Dec 29, 2009)

Gretchen Rubinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kord, RussellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenth, LarsOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Bree, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walendowska MonikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Samuel Johnson: "As the Spanish proverb says, 'He, who would bring home the wealth of the Indies, must carry the wealth of the Indies with him."
—James Boswell, The life of Samuel Johnson
There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
—Robert Louis Stevenson
For My Family
A "happiness project" is an approach to changing your life. (A Note to the Reader)
I'd always vaguely expected to outgrow my limitations.

Contents:
January, Vitality: boost energy -- February, Marriage: remember love -- March, Work: aim higher -- April, Parenthood: lighten up -- May, Leisure: be serious about play -- June, Friendship: make time for friends -- July, Money: buy some happiness -- August, Eternity: contemplate the heavens -- September, Books: pursue a passion -- October, Mindfulness: pay attention -- November, Attitude: keep a contented heart -- December, Happiness: boot camp perfect -- Your happiness project -- Further reading.

Happiness Project Tool Box

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,271,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible