The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a…

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the… (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Gretchen Rubin

A thoughtful and prescriptive work on happiness filled with practical advice, sharp insight, charm, and humor.
Member:JorgeCarvajal
Title:The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun
Authors:Gretchen Rubin
Info:Harper (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 301 pages
Rating:**

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin (2009)

English (157)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (158)
A very light hearted account of happiness, what it is and how to achieve it. Don't expect any major enlightenments, but still a light, easy read ( )
  dolly22 | Jul 9, 2020 |
Really interesting, inspiring read. Now I just need to decide what to do with it. ( )
  avonar | May 27, 2020 |
I like the notion of being deliberate about self-improvement, and I certainly agree with the premise that I can do a lot to keep my outlook on the world positive and appreciative. Good reading list at the end. Got a bit tired of the quotes from her blog (since I bought this to read what Rubin thinks, not what random blog readers think). Overall, pretty good. ( )
  szbuhayar | May 24, 2020 |
Really enjoyed it and seriously considering taking her happiness project course if it isn't too costly ( )
  USFJoyGirl | May 17, 2020 |
This book has some really good insight and information and bits of advice, but it's very long-winded. The whole novel could have been summed up in a series of blog posts. I will be printing off some of the resources from Rubin's website to try this myself, but I don't think I'm gaining enough information to spend another 4 hours reading this.
  ChelseaMcE | Mar 19, 2020 |
A fun, funny and wise book written by Gretchen Rubin, a regular HuffingtonPost.com contributor, it's a distillation of the wisdom of the ages on happiness. It provides eminently practical ways to amplify your happiness pretty much immediately (e.g. gossip less; exercise more; launch a pet project).

(Video review follows)

I had fun reading about Rubin's triumphs, insights, and failures. She's honest about her frustrating experiences, which are often more interesting that her successful ones.

If you are interested in clarifying your reasons to become uncluttered, are looking to be happier, or simply enjoy the genre of “a year in the life” style books, I recommend checking out The Happiness Project. It’s a great reminder for not letting the joys of life pass you by.
added by bongiovi | editUnclutterer Blog (Dec 29, 2009)

Gretchen Rubinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kord, RussellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenth, LarsOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Bree, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walendowska MonikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Samuel Johnson: "As the Spanish proverb says, 'He, who would bring home the wealth of the Indies, must carry the wealth of the Indies with him."
—James Boswell, The life of Samuel Johnson
There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
—Robert Louis Stevenson
For My Family
A "happiness project" is an approach to changing your life. (A Note to the Reader)
I'd always vaguely expected to outgrow my limitations.

Contents:
January, Vitality: boost energy -- February, Marriage: remember love -- March, Work: aim higher -- April, Parenthood: lighten up -- May, Leisure: be serious about play -- June, Friendship: make time for friends -- July, Money: buy some happiness -- August, Eternity: contemplate the heavens -- September, Books: pursue a passion -- October, Mindfulness: pay attention -- November, Attitude: keep a contented heart -- December, Happiness: boot camp perfect -- Your happiness project -- Further reading.

Happiness Project Tool Box

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,565,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible