Flow: Nature's Patterns: A Tapestry in…

Flow: Nature's Patterns: A Tapestry in Three Parts

by Philip Ball

Danish (1)  English (1)  All languages (2)
Nice, short, pop-sci intro to various types of flow, smooth to turbulent, fluids to traffic. ( )
  encephalical | Aug 6, 2018 |
In short, Ball is capable of making us gasp at worlds both tiny and huge. It's nice to know that life isn't all about entropy. As he says in Shapes: "Here, then, is a rejoinder to the accusation that a scientific attitude is prone to blunt our wonderment at the world."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0199237972, Hardcover)

From the swirl of a wisp of smoke to eddies in rivers, and the huge persistent storm system that is the Great Spot on Jupiter, we see similar forms and patterns wherever there is flow - whether the movement of wind, water, sand, or flocks of birds. It is the complex dynamics of flow that structures our atmosphere, land, and oceans.

Part of a trilogy of books exploring the science of patterns in nature by acclaimed science writer Philip Ball, this volume explores the elusive rules that govern flow - the science of chaotic behavior.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:50 -0400)

From the swirl of a wisp of smoke to eddies in rivers, and the huge persistent storm system that is the Great Spot on Jupiter, we see similar forms and patterns wherever there is flow whether the movement of wind, water, sand, or flocks of birds. It is the complex dynamics of flow that structures our atmosphere, land, and oceans. Part of a trilogy of books exploring the science of patterns in nature by acclaimed science writer Philip Ball, this volume explores the elusive rules that govern flow the science of chaotic behaviour.Biology.Chaos theory.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,806,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible