The World is Flat: A Brief History of the…

The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century

by Thomas L. Friedman

In The world is flat, award-winning journalist Thomas Friedman explained how the "flattening" of the world happened at the dawn of the 21st century, what it means to countries, companies, communities, and individuals, and how governments and societies can, and must, adapt. For this updated and expanded edition, Friedman has provided more than three hours of new reporting and commentary.… (more)
    The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx (Rigour)
    Rigour: Read the Communist Manifesto to truly understand globalization (whatever your personal ideology is).
    Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution--and How It Can Renew America by Thomas L. Friedman (skyiscool)
    skyiscool: Hot, Flat, and Crowded builds off many of the topics that Friedman presents in The World Is Flat. Although both books adequately stand on their own, they together form an informed and powerful worldview.
    The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger by Marc Levinson (infiniteletters)
    Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future by Bill McKibben (pa5t0rd)

English (152)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (158)
The world is flat talks about globalisation and it goes through 3 phases of this process. The period between 1492 and 1800 he calls globalisation 1.0. It’s a period fuelled by muscle power and the national economy. The bigger the country you came from, the greater the chances you would do well in international trade. The second era lasted from 1800 until 2000 and, naturally, was called globalisation 2.0. It was the era of multinational companies and decreasing cost of transportation thanks to the steam engine, railroads, ships and then telecommunications to move goods and information from continent to continent, creating global markets. Finally, globalisation 3.0 is the period from 2000 to the present. The third phase is driven by empowered individuals from countries outside both the United States and Western Europe and it is a result of convergence and creations of a global web-enabled playing field that allows for multiple forms of collaboration. Sharing of knowledge and work in real time without regard to geographical dislocation made the world “flat”. We are going from vertical structures to horizontal in terms of how value will be created.

Next, the author of the book details 10 flatteners, in other words, 10 forces and events that came together responsible for creating the world we exist in.

So the first one was the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. I know that it happened before 2000. Anyway, the fall was symbolic as it has shown that free-market economies were the way to get ahead and centrally-controlled communism was on the way out. Deregulation became very much in favour and bureaucratic control became something to avoid at all costs. A lot of countries opened up their economies towards the global marketplace.

The second flattener was in September 1995, and that was the day when Netscape went public. It brought the internet alive and...(if you like to read my full review please visit my blog https://leadersarereaders.blog/2019/01/31/theworldisflat) ( )
  LeadersAreReaders | Feb 19, 2019 |
In this brilliant book, the award-winning New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman demystifies the brave new world for readers, allowing them to make sense of the often bewildering global scene unfolding before their eyes. With his inimitable ability to translate complex foreign policy and economic issues, Friedman explains how the flattening of the world happened at the dawn of the 21st century; what it means to countries, companies, communities and individuals; and how governments and societies can, and must, adapt.
  HandelmanLibraryTINR | Nov 22, 2018 |
The World is Flat is a complex look at the systems and infrastructure that goes on within our world. It also greatly explains how people throughout the world, especially in developing countries are able to work for companies in the U.S. I would reccomend this book to anyone interested in getting a job in the next four years. ( )
  KatelynSBolds | Nov 12, 2018 |
I had heard of this book for some time; well in fact years and never quite got around to reading it. Nor did I read it this time actually listening to an audiobook version. Took 25 or so hours to do that. My first impression was that it is a book that needs to be read in a timely mannerl; meaning closer to publication date as it got dated quickly. So being a good ten years behind I could see all I missed in the intervening years.

Thomas Friedman no doubt put a lot of thought and analysis into the ideas presented here and many I felt were quite on the mark. The central theme being whittled down into the fact that the explosion of information technology and computer centered technology to be more specific has indeed flattened the world. India and China being the seemingly big winners and the U.S. ultimately one of the big losers. Having launched much if not most of the technology that made this flattening possible we now stand by and watch as these rising star countries make use of it siphoning off our past dominance in world trade among other things.

He covers a wide array of topics and makes it a point to expound on his more liberal viewpoint on how the world is and the future should be. And we know who the bad guys are according to Friedman. He may have some valid points here and there but unless you are aligned to his viewpoint you clearly are on the other side of what supposedly got us into this mess. ( )
  knightlight777 | May 23, 2018 |
A' class informative book about globalised world in 21st century. It talks away the notion of round world. Thomas Friedman identifies forces of flattening of the world beginning fall of Berlin Wall to major events that shaped internet revolution in globalised world of equality. Spread through the pages are perspectives on America, developing countries and companies w.r.to the flat world. Towards the end, the book draws attention to effects of these forces on you and I as individuals. It also indulges in resultant effects on geo-politics and offers a window of future imagination. Highly research oriented book and a definitive read to know digitisation that's already happened to America, and that's trickling down to developing world thence. First published in 2005, this book is a comprehensive account of forces that are shaping our future currently. ( )
  dimplesrao | Jan 21, 2018 |
On an ideological level, Friedman's new book is the worst, most boring kind of middlebrow horseshit. If its literary peculiarities could somehow be removed from the equation, The World Is Flat would appear as no more than an unusually long pamphlet replete with the kind of plug-filled, free-trader leg-humping that passes for thought in this country. It is a tale of a man who walks 10 feet in front of his house armed with a late-model Blackberry and comes back home five minutes later to gush to his wife that hospitals now use the internet to outsource the reading of CAT scans. Man flies on planes, observes the wonders of capitalism, says we're not in Kansas anymore. (He actually says we're not in Kansas anymore.) That's the whole plot right there. If the underlying message is all that interests you, read no further, because that's all there is.

Friedman describes his honest reaction to this new world while he's at one of India's great outsourcing companies, Infosys. He was standing, he says, ''at the gate observing this river of educated young people flowing in and out. . . . They all looked as if they had scored 1600 on their SAT's.

To Matt and Kay and to Ron
No one ever gave me directions like this on a golf course before: "Aim at either Microsoft or IBM."

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,330,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible