Lucky Star, Volume 1 by Kagami Yoshimizu

Lucky Star, Volume 1

by Kagami Yoshimizu

Geijutsuka Art Design Class, Volume 1 by Satoko Kiyuduki (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Geijutsuka Art Design Class is another 4koma slice of life series. It follows five girls who attend an art school. The first volume of three takes a bit to find its footing, but there are some really laugh out loud moments with a similar humor to Lucky Star's "Which side of the choco-coronet is the head?"… (more)

Having always been a fan of the anime series, I thought I'd give a try to the manga that started it all. Like K-On! and Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star 1 is drawn in the four panel style ('yon koma') that is similar in nature to the daily comic strips that one would find in any newspaper State-side, except vertical.

However, while it was entertaining in parts, I found overall the volume to be somewhat lacking. Granted there's not much that a writer can cram daily that's deep into four boxes, but overall a comic strip usually stands or falls based on either the character interaction or by the humor. Maybe it's because this is only the first volume, but I found the characters to be a bit underdeveloped to the point that some of the humor was falling flat to me.

Hopefully, the next volume will fill in that missing spark. Even the anime started a bit slow. ( )
  timothyl33 | Mar 1, 2012 |
Lucky Star is about four high school girls going about their everyday lives. I have to say that this is not my favorite manga, but I think that someone who is familiar with the otaku culture will surely enjoy it. It can be funny at times, and it has a few of those moments where you're like "I know, right?!". Azumanga Daioh, another manga that is similar to this one, in my opinion, has better jokes and the characters are more entertaining. It can get boring at times, especially when they are just sitting there talking for three pages about a really dull subject. I don't recommend it to manga newbies, but if you're really into anime or manga, than it will probably be pretty funny to you. ( )
  Taigamimi | Sep 11, 2010 |

"Witness this study in the human condition as our heroines explore the unexplored in questioning the ordinary!"--Amazon.com.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,532,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible