Just the Right Size: Why Big Animals Are Big and Little Animals Are Little (2009)

by Nicola Davies

Other authors: Neal Layton (Illustrator)

This book uses cartoon-style art and geometry to explain the relationship between an animal's size and its abilities.

This picture book was a good picture book that l would recommend to a student that was confused about size. I would also recommend this book to those students that are interested in animals. It seems more geared to younger kids but is definitely a good read. ( )
  Sidneyplunkett | Nov 11, 2019 |
This book shows you why animals are the size that they are through the evolutionary theory. The book could be used for Science classes because it gives great examples of 'survivor of the fittest'. It also can be used in math because of the size proportions used in the book. This is a great and interesting read for students because the book is very detailed, factual, and yet understandable. ( )
  erynrowe1 | Nov 7, 2019 |
A charming little walk through evolutionary theory. Ms. Davies explains the theories and offers countless real-world examples to support them; Mr. Layton's illustrations bring the concepts to life in amusing vignettes. The style is suitable for 5th grade on (in my uneducated opinion), and the author takes great pains to explain any terminology that may be unfamiliar to the reader (there's also a glossary in the back to help). This book is a great way to introduce younger readers to the ideas of evolutionary biology, geometric ratios, and the kaleidoscope of spectacularly unique animals that inhabit the planet. Some background information about dinosaurs is assumed, but most everything else is carefully and wittily explained in the text. ( )
  cyoung3 | Feb 27, 2018 |
It's hard for adults, sometimes, to judge the appeal & clarity of children's science books. ?ŠIn my opinion this has the right balance of whimsical illustrations and informative text for age 9 up. ?√ɬ°And I know plenty of adults who could learn a few things from it, too. ?√ɬ°The only thing it desperately needs is a 'for further reading' section. ?√ɬ°It could also use a 'cutting edge' note... the page about the degree of warm-bloodedness of dinosaurs is vague and, if one searches online, esp. at ASU, one can get better & more up-to-date info. ?√ɬ°

It's also a little unclear on just how evolution works, failing to make it plain that there is no forethought, no 'desire' for a critter to evolve to be better adapted. ?áSomehow we need to make it plain to kids that evolution is random, and that the definition of 'fittest' is 'most fit currently for the current set of constraints.' ?áOtherwise kids (and adults) keep thinking that fittest means 'best' and that man is top of the heap, king of the mountain.

Still, it's far better than a lot of friendly science books for young children, and I do recommend it. ?á
I also say that it is worthy of the Candlewick logo. ;) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book is all about different sizes- height, weight, volume, etc. It's an ok book, but can get a little wordy. I might pick parts of the book to read along with certain lessons. but it's not a book I would read in it's entirety. ( )
  rhigginbotham | Nov 25, 2014 |

Nicola Daviesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Layton, NealIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639249, 0763653004

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,878,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible