Pig Island by Mo Hayder

Pig Island (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Mo Hayder

Member:littleche
Title:Pig Island
Authors:Mo Hayder
Info:Ulverscroft Large Print (2008), Paperback, 432 pages

Pig Island by Mo Hayder (2006)

English (23)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (29)
This book took me a long time to finish. It had an interesting premise, but the actual story was not that compelling. The first part of the book was the most interesting. Joe investigates the secretive cult living on the island. Joe has become obsessed with the cult leader, Malachi Dove, and wants to get to the bottom of the mystery of what is living on the island.

After events on the island come to a head, the book moves into its second part. Now the book switches back and forth between Joe's point of view, and that of his wife, Lexie. Lexie is a very unsympathetic character. Very self serving. I couldn't care about the character, even when something unpleasant happened to her.

I would have liked a little more background on Malachi. An explanation of how he went from being a charismatic religious leader to a crazed loner would have improved the story. As it is, we just have to accept that he has spent many years hiding on one side of the island.

Towards the end of the book, Joe's obsession with Angeline also becomes a bit much. As Angeline grows stronger, he seems to grow crazier. Overall, this book was ok. I would give this author another chance, especially since other reviewers have noted that this is not her strongest book. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
This book was alright, but aside from the twisted ending nothing special ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
This is the fourth Mo Hayder book I have read and she continues to enthrall me. That said, this book is so different from her others that I can't really compare them. Ms Hayder is far from a formulaic writer.

Freelance journalist Joe Oakes makes a living debunking hoaxes. So when he is invited to Pig Island, off the coast of Scotland, to counter allegations of Satanic practises he figures he will find the truth and that it will be some garden variety hoax. The fact that a long-time nemesis, Malachi Dove, used to head up the community on Pig Island is a bonus. Joe's wife, Lexie, decides to join him on this job and rents a cottage on the mainland near to Pig Island. Lexie has her own motives for joining Joe but Joe doesn't realize that. In fact, he thinks their marriage is almost done for but he agrees to her joining him.

What Joe discovers on Pig Island is far from what he expected but it isn't Satanism, or at least the community is not practising Satanism. Malachi Dove, who lives separately from the community, has been acting very strangely. He has a restraining order preventing anyone coming onto his property but Joe is not going to let that stop him. The electrified fence almost does though!

That is only the first part of the book, about one-third of the total, and the rest has many more surprises, including an absolute shocker at the end. I did not see that one coming at all.

This was a great read that I devoured in one day while taking the ferry from Bella Coola to Vancouver Island. Well done Mo. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 9, 2017 |
Wow, am I glad to have finished reading this book!
People around me adk why I keep reading when I dislike it. Well: for two reasons.
1. Maybe it gets better and I just need to get into it.
2. Curiosity to find out who did what.

Well, it didn't get better and the whodunnit was not really surprising... ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 11, 2017 |
This is one of Mo Hayder's standalone novels. I love her books normally but this book was a huge disappointment. It starts off good and creepy but then just falls into a pile of crap. The characters are unlikeable and the plot was dismal. Got 3/4 in to it and just could not face up to going any further. I felt as if Mo Hayder just didn't know where she was going with this book.

Back Cover Blurb:
Journalist Joe Oakes makes a living exposing supernatural hoaxes. A born sceptic, he believes everything has a rational explanation. But when he visits a secretive religious community on a remote Scottish island, everything he thought he knew is overturned.
Questions mount: Why has the community been accused of Satanism? What has happened to their leader, Pastor Malachi Dove? And, perhaps most important, why will no one discuss the strange appartion seen wandering the lonely beaches of Pig Island?
Their confrontation, and its violent and bloody aftermath, is so catastrophic that it forces Oaksey to question the nature of evil, and whether he might not be responsible for the terrible crime about to unfold. ( )
  mazda502001 | Aug 1, 2016 |
"Und er griff den Drachen, die alte Schlange, welche ist der Teufel und Satan, und band ihn tausend Jahre."
Offenbarung 20,2
The alarms first went off in my head when the landlord and the lobsterman showed me what had been washed up on the beach.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0143113607, Mass Market Paperback)

A bone-chilling new mystery from the acclaimed author of The Devil of Nanking

Mo Hayder , a rising star of hardcore horror fiction, returns with a riveting and macabre novel that explores the evils committed in the name of faith. Journalist Joe Oakes is a born skeptic who makes his living exposing supernatural hoaxes. But his stay with a cult-like religious group on Scotland?s remote Pig Island might be enough to turn him into a believer. When the island erupts into bloodshed, Oakes must abandon everything he thought he knew to discover the secret behind exiled cult leader Malachi Dove, who lives alone behind a wall of electricity and toxic waste on the island?s far end. As the cataclysm of violence crashes down around him, Oakes is ultimately forced to confront the very nature of evil itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:19 -0400)

Debunking supernatural hoaxes for a living, journalist Joe Oakes finds his beliefs coming into question on a visit to a remote Scottish island, where a secretive religious community lives apart from a violent band of isolationists who harbor a murderous strange creature.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,748,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible