Little Black Lies by Tish Cohen

Little Black Lies

by Tish Cohen

This book shows that "friends" aren't all they're cracked up to be sometimes, that boys are trouble, and that you have to watch what you say around people. Definitely how high school works, (at least for me)! 4Q4P The cover art is awesome and I'd recommend this to high school students. I chose to read this book because when reading the back of it I found this phrase appealing, "Boston's most elite high school is a high-wire act and Sara Black is losing her balance." I absolutely loved that. AliciaH
  edspicer | Jul 26, 2014 |
Little Black Lies start out a bit dull for me but developed into something interesting towards the end. In the end this was a good book with a few twists and adorable scenes. We can say this entire book does a great job on the word “karma”. Karma is a bitch isn’t it?

A few white lies, turning to black, and bam, all hell goes loose. This is what Sara goes through. One thing that I really found refreshing is that the main character (Sara) didn’t get away scot free. There are consequences for every action and Tish Cohen did an excellent example of that through this book.

I also loved how the author incorporated random facts here and there.

“In South America, army ants are actually used as sutures. Doctors squeeze the gaping wound shut and deposit ants long the gash. In defense, each ant grabs hold of the edges of skin with its mandibles, or jaws, and locks it in place. Doctors then slice off the head, leaving the mandibles in place to secure the cut until healed. I’m not saying I’d lop off this guy’s head, but if his squared-off jaw were to clamp down on my flesh, I’m pretty sure I’d heal in half the time.”

Overall: A nice debut book. Would have liked something more. ( )
  ylin.0621 | Feb 19, 2010 |
At the outset it appeared that Little Black Lies was the typical “awkward new student outcast lies to fit in with the popular crowd” story. However, after a few chapters the reader is quick to realize that there is a bit more to the story than just this young girl adjusting to a new school and new friends. The addition of her father’s struggle brings with it the most promise.

I think I’ve mentioned before that books that focus on the father/daughter relationship are important to me. My brother is a single father to a teenage girl so when I read a story that has any focus on an that type of relationship I am always comparing it to my real life. It may not be fair but I can’t help but let my experiences shape how I read and reflect on the story. In this case I felt Sara and her father’s story was extremely realistic. I enjoyed watching them struggle with the loss of her mother, the re-appearance of his OCD and her self-loathing at lying so completely about who she is. Despite his own issues her father continued to be a mostly positive influence and wholly supportive parent.

Another element of this book that was slightly near and dear to me was the setting of Anton High. Growing up I too was a townie in a quaint New England burg that was home to one of the Nation’s foremost private prep schools. Though I wasn’t a student I interacted with many who were and the portrayal that Cohen has depicted of these teens is spot on. None of the girls were over the top and the boys were appropriately aloof and self-absorbed. A breeding ground for competitiveness and self-entitlement Anton High was exactly what one would expect from such an institution.

The sub-stories of Sara’s friends were an interesting addition to the overall plot. In particular one such story involving the most popular girl in school went to further showcase Sara’s own struggle with keeping who she really was a secret. It humanized the rich bitch while still allowing the readers to loathe her just enough for still being both who she was at school and the girl Sara’s crush was dating. Speaking of the crush, Leo wasn’t the picture perfect hunky sport playing guy. He was as normal and flawed as Sara was thus making the potential for a relationship quite rootable. There wasn’t any “Pretty Woman” syndrome here.

If I had to find one fault with this book it would be that a few things seemed much too coincidental for my liking. For example the role that Leo’s father plays in resolving some of the problems Sara and her father faced was more than timely. Having said that, the few coincidences and predictable weren’t so out of the ordinary or tremendously blatant that it ruined the entire story for me.

In the end, I found Little Black Lies to be quite enjoyable. Definitely worth adding to your TBR pile if you’re looking for a quick but thoughtful YA read. ( )
  galleysmith | Jan 26, 2010 |
Sara Black is tiptoeing across a fraying tightrope.
As the new eleventh grader at Anton High – the most elite public school in the country – she sticks out like an old VW bus in a parking lot full of shiny BMWs. But being the new kid also brings a certain advantageous anonymity.
In Anton High’s world of privilege, intelligence, and wealth, Sara can escape her family’s tarnished past and become whomever she wants.
And what’s the harm in telling a few little black lies when it can lead to popularity? That is, until another it girl at Anton becomes jealous of Sara’s social climbing.
With her balance evaporating, one small push could bring Sara crashing down.

Hmmm...Little Black Lies is an awesome book! I loved it. It had all the good qualities in a book i was looking for, it was well written, witty, and the characters were believable. I loved the message in the book, as the story goes on Sara learns some important lessons about the value of a good parent(i mean her dad is awesome), the love of a friend, and the importance of honesty.Because a little black lie can lead to just a BIG web of lies.

Sara was my favorite character, being the main character she took on those challenges in life like her dad's OCD, her parents divorce(her mom being so far away in) no friends, and a new school.I think a lot of teens can relate to her. The only problem i had with her was the lies, but i wasn't surprised that she was just making an invented life to impress her peers well the High School Mean Girl and her clique. At one point in the book I was so mad at Sara because of what she said about her father. At times i really did think she didn't deserve a father like Charlie.But that's what made her believable because she had her flaws, it made her human. I liked Poppy too! I wish she had a bigger role in the book. I guess we can call her the weird girl who video camera's everything but she knows who she is and what she wants. All The characters were awesome(LEO!!)They well developed, they had strong hero/heroine personalities.

I liked the way Tish Cohen dealt with lying(being a troublesome/difficult issue). As much as i like Sara i didn't like her lying. But I'm not angel either.In the end it proved how much trouble you can cause and how much you can hurt people. "Honesty is KEY",as my teacher would always say and never to abandon the people you love most. As for the romance, It wasn’t a big part of the book, but when there was some(tease lol) it was sweet. The ending was perfecto! and Leo and Sara are a cute couple. I'm happy with the ending.So if you haven't read this book you should! ( )
  fayeflame | Dec 1, 2009 |
This story starts off a little slow but eventually picked up as Sara finds herself falling deeper and deeper into her web of lies. This book portrays well the pressure teenagers face when wanting to fit and the lengths they will sometimes go to be a part of the "in crowd". When you first meet Sara she seems like a brat who is ashamed of her dad's job and his OCD tendencies but as you get to know more about her life, how her dad's OCD problems have affected her and what her mother is really like you begin to get some insight into why she feels the intense need to fit in. Another unique aspect of this school to me is the emphasis on the students intellect. In Anton High how smart you are is a big deal and a lot of the students actions are molded based on the pressures to succeed in life. The romance with Leo at the end seems a little random as they never seem to really get to know one another before falling for each other. Still I think young adult girls will enjoy this book. ( )
  dasuzuki | Oct 29, 2009 |

Starting her junior year at an ultra-elite Boston school, sixteen-year-old Sara, hoping to join the popular crowd, hides that her father not only is the school janitor, but also has obsessive-compulsive disorder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,712,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible