All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab

All Unquiet Things

by Anna Jarzab

dnf-ed at about 2/3 because wow I just do not care about anyone in this book. the writing is very stilted and awkward, there are constant time jumps that are very convoluted, and the voices of our two protagonists are very similar and difficult to distinguish from one another ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
Carly was a sweet girl with a wonderful personality. She was pretty and popular; vivacious and funny. She was as smart as a whip and knew everything about the privileged student body of the Brighton Day School. As much as he still loves her, it's disturbing for Neily to see how much his girlfriend has changed: she has begun running with a much faster crowd, and become extremely self-destructive.

When she suddenly dumps him for a notorious bad boy, Neily is devastated. Bewildered and angered by Carly's strange behavior, he steadfastly doesn't answer the phone whenever she calls. However, what initially seems like a typical teenage reaction to a difficult breakup, becomes tinged with sadness and regret after Carly is murdered. Neily is ultimately wracked with grief and guilt for his own stubbornness.

If he had answered the call she had made before she died, he may have been able to help her. Now, he can't get the image of her lifeless body out of his mind. Desperately hoping to assuage some of the guilt he feels about her death, Neily reluctantly teams up with Carly's cousin Audrey to find her killer. After all, it is the last thing they can do to honor her memory.

Audrey is dealing with her own regrets over her cousin's death. She was the reason Carly got tangled up with Brighton's fast crowd in the first place, and she will have to live with the consequences of that decision on her conscience for the rest of her life. Because Audrey is convinced of two things about Carly's death: someone at Brighton is obviously a murderer, and the police have put the wrong person in jail. So, she turns to Neily for help in finding Carly's killer.

As Neily and Audrey begin to investigate their shared history with Carly, her dealings with Brighton's seedier elements come to light. For the amateur sleuths, these are shocking revelations that lead them to wonder if Carly actually knew something that could have gotten her killed. However, figuring out how Carly and her killer fit together into the twisted drama of Brighton's secretive world will force the reluctant allies to face some harsh truths about themselves and the girl they couldn't save.

To be perfectly honest, I found some of the pettiness between the characters to be slightly annoying. Having said that, I still enjoyed reading the book. I would give this book a definite A! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Aug 26, 2017 |
This book was slow in places but ultimately it held my interest. I think that I would have invested more of myself into this story if I'd had even an ounce of sympathy for Carly. She was, however, completely unlikable so in the end I didn't much care who killed her. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
So, how about that ending?

One day, I went to the library and picked this book up because the blurb mentioned that it was a psychological suspense novel. I'm a huge fan of psychological suspense. It's one of my favourite genres. So I picked it up and read it, without reading any reviews about this. The cover is gorgeous and haunting and the blurb sold me.

Once I finished the novel, the only thing going through my head was this. The ending was rushed and was incredibly unsatisfying. I didn't figure out who the real murderer was, but that's mainly because I stopped caring many chapters ago.

I will say that the writing was great. I like Anna Jarzab's style and will probably read more of her books in the future. But I just couldn't get into this, despite how badly I wanted to. It had everything I love from a psychological novel. Great plot, flawed characters, and good writing.

And when I first started to read this, I was already prepared to love it. Even though I found all the characters to be insufferable, they felt real so I could forgive it. Neily is a judgmental jerkwad, but he's still interesting and kept the plot moving forward. I appreciated that. But once we got to the Audrey chapters it seemed the story stalled. I kept hoping Neily would come back, but once he did I was already out of it.

I did continue to read this though, so that is a huge plus. But that ending.....

pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
I had a hard time with the alternating points of view. There was times I would be reading, and I would forget if I was reading from Audrey's or Neily's point of view. The mystery of the plot is one to keep you guessing until the last moment. The story is about how keeping secrets leads to terrible events. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Apr 22, 2013 |
For my parents, in memory of Audrey Richier
It was the end of summer, when hills were bone dry and brown; the sun beating down and shimmering up off the pavement was enough to give you heatstoke.

After the death of his ex-girlfriend Carly, northern California high school student Neily joins forces with Carly's cousin Audrey to try to solve her murder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,813,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible