Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

Demonglass

by Rachel Hawkins

Series: Hex Hall (2)

Evernight by Claudia Gray (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books involve a romance that shouldn't be allowed to happen; where the person the main character falls for is "the enemy" and someone to be avoided. They are also both series. Read Hex Hall before you read Demonglass though, since Demonglass is book two in the series.… (more)

English (116)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All (118)
So fun! It was a great continuation to the series and I loved it! ( )
  mmalyn | Feb 24, 2018 |

I posted this statement on various websites when it happened, but when a book causes me to swear vehemently at it for the last half, and then force me after finishing it to lay facedown on my bed saying: Ican’tican’tican’tican’t over and over again. That is a sure sign that it is a great book.
I was actually a little bit worried about this one at the beginning, mostly because I was worried that it would succumb to the trilogy problem of the second book. This book also introduces something of a love triangle so I was really worried about that as well (1. Because I don’t really like love triangles much, and 2. Having the love triangle introduced in the second book is an interesting tactic that I wasn’t sure would actually work.)
I can assure you, however, that this book does not disappoint. In fact, in some ways it’s better.
This book takes place in England, away from Hex Hall. Sophie, Jenna and Cal are taken by Sophie’s father to England. Mostly to keep Sophie safe over the summer, but there are other reasons as well.
Like I said before, something of a love triangle is introduced in this book. Except, it’s kind of not. Like, in Prodigium society witches and warlocks are betrothed, except they don’t necessarily have to go through with those betrothals if they don’t want to. So, yes, Cal and Sophie are betrothed. Except she’s not really interested and aside from a few sweet moments they share, it’s pretty obvious she’s still in love with Archer - the warlock who works for the anti-Prodigium group.
Which is good. Because I adore Archer. Really I do. In a lot of recent YA books, the bad boy type is attempted and fails miserably. But Archer does a pretty good job of it (he also is a toned down version of the evil!boyfriend trope. And we all know how much I adore that trope). He doesn’t make as many appearances in this book as in the previous one, but when he is in the story it’s pretty great.
In essence, Sophie is taken to the current Council headquarters in England, were she meets two other demon kids - Nick and Daisy (oh, Nick. I couldn’t help comparing him to Nick Ryves, my dear favourite demon/human from The Demon’s Lexicon.) She was under the impression that her family were the only ones who were actually demons, but then she meets these kids. Her father then explains to her that Nick and Daisy were created much like Sophie’s ancestor, Alice, and he was searching for a way to reverse the process.
Now, ok, I was a bit put out - I guess - about the fact that Sophie gets along so well with her absentee father. I mean, I’m not entirely sure that it would work like that. I didn’t mind that she got along really well with him, because I thought he was a great character. I guess I just wanted a little more teenage abandonment angst. Then again, Sophie isn’t an angsty character so I guess that does explain that.
During the course of the summer, though, Sophie (with the help of Archer) discovers a plot that could prove even more dangerous to the Prodigium than both their current enemies combined.
Then, I mean, just as a note I spent the entire last 50 pages swearing at the pages. Because the ending is AMAZING. I really like the pacing of these books. The endings are just complete rushes of action and it’s great. I also wasn’t expecting the end at all so that was just great.
Also Rachel Hawkins is one of us (the infected few who watched Hex and spawned these kinds of novels) so, basically, she’s the greatest and I really would like to meet her. To sob about Hex, mostly. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
Really enjoying this series. A few minor niggles about Sophie's supposedly-British dad who says things like "come spend the summer with me". I know, I always complain about things like this, but if you were casting a movie you'd have a man with a British accent in the role. So why have the character with an American turn of phrase in the book? Sigh.

Oh, and England isn't an island (though I do accept that Sophie probably wouldn't know that!). And British people don't think in kilometres. And I'll shut up about this now... ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
I might have liked it better had I read it before Vampire Academy. I couldn't help but compare the two, and this is definitely the lesser series. Overall, an enjoyable quick read. The protagonist is jokey, and the other tropes those well-read in the genre come to recognize are present and obvious.

Would I recommend it? Yes. To teens who love Vamp Academy, Marked, Blue Bloods, City of.... etc. Did it have anything special? Not so much ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
OMG. That ending. That plot twist. That love triangle. This is easily one of my favorite series ever. I cannot wait to read book 3. SO GOOD. ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
For John, who said, "You know what this book needs? More fire. And maybe some swords" This one time, honey, you were right.
At a normal high school, having class outside on a gorgeous May day is usually pretty awesome.

Sophie Mercer's first term at Hex Hall turned out to be quite eventful. First the ghost of her evil grandmother haunted her every move, then her best friend was accused of murder and of course there was the discovery that Archer Cross, aka the boy of her dreams, was actually an undercover demon hunter - which would probably be something she could have worked on, if she hadn't also discovered that she was actually the demon Archer was hunting...So, despite their issues, Sophie is actually relieved to be spending the summer in London with her father. But when your father is Head of The Council of Prodigium and your summer is being spent at the headquarters of everything magical, then a quiet holiday isn't really that likely. And, as Sophie struggles to come to terms with her new found demon powers, she finds herself thrust once again into a world of dark magic and conspiracies. The only thing that could possibly make things more complicated would be for Archer Cross to show up again, which of course he wouldn't, would he?

After learning that she is capable of dangerous magic, Sophie Mercer goes to England with her father, friend Jenna, and Cal hoping to have her powers removed, but soon she learns that she is being hunted by the Eye--and haunted by Elodie.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,527,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible