Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

Demonglass

by Rachel Hawkins

Series: Hex Hall (2)

Evernight by Claudia Gray (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books involve a romance that shouldn't be allowed to happen; where the person the main character falls for is "the enemy" and someone to be avoided. They are also both series. Read Hex Hall before you read Demonglass though, since Demonglass is book two in the series.… (more)

English (119)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (121)
I flew through this book. When we come in we are about 6 months after the events in Hex Hall. Sophie is still at the school, and while she has somewhat come to terms with everything that happened, she is determined to go through the Removal. The Removal will remove her powers and could possibly kill her, but it is something she feels that she must do in order to protect those around her. After 6 months of waiting her father finally shows up on the day that she is thrown into the lake "swamp" and must pretend to drown and then use her powers to save herself. Only, no one told Sophie that a demon could not escape the pond...
At first her father seems kinda uptight, but I guess as head of the Council, he should be.. We soon get a glimpse of just where Sophie got her sarcasm from. Her mother, father and the headmistress of the school are all trying to talk Sophie out of going through with the Removal, and with good reason; who really wants to see their child die?
Sophie's father makes her a deal, spend the summer with him in London and then if she still wants to go through with the removal he will allow it. Sophie insists that her best friend Jenna; the vampire, be allowed to go too. Her father agrees and then adds that Cal; the groundskeeper, will be joining them. Sophie then learns that while she has been at Hex Hall with Cal, she has been his betrothed. And then to find out that he knew all along, upsets her. Sophie is still hung up on Archer, even though she pretends not to be.
As everyone sets off to London, Sophie has a feeling in the pit of her stomach that they will never return to Hex Hall. Once arriving in London and finally getting to where they will be staying, Sophie realizes that there are two more demons, and they are staying with the Council; well what is left of them.
The book didn't go as fast, nor where there as many twists and turns as in the first, but with Archer making an appearance a few chapters in, the story line picked up. They Eye "hunters" are actively hunting Sophie, as she is heir apparent to the Head of the Council and really no one wants a demon to be in charge. But Archer saves her, so you can tell that maybe he still feels something for her. The story pretty much revolves around finding out who made the two demons, Nick and Daisy, that are at Council Headquarters and Sophie getting back in with Archer.
There are a few fights, nothing big and then at the end there is a major infiltration of the Council, and we learn just who has been making the demons. When the story closes, Sophie is powerless thanks to the Council, her father and Archer are trapped in the cells below the Abbey and she is told to go to the Brannick's ( also hunters).
I was disappointed in the ending and believe that the story could have went a little farther, so that we weren't left with so many questions. I can't wait till the third book is released so I can find out exactly what happens next. ( )
  chaoticbooklover | Dec 26, 2018 |
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings on October 5, 2012.

A few days ago, I posted my review of Hex Hall. Let me just say that Demonglass is just as good. I was so involved in the story that I didn't quite see all the twists and turns that come up in this book, so I was nicely surprised there.

There is a love triangle, but to be honest I really kind of enjoy this one. I know that I've said in the past that some love triangles are horrible, but this one is really well done. The dynamics that Sophie has with each of the guys are really different, so they're easy to differentiate, and she really has different feelings for each one. It's kind of a forced love triangle in a way since Cal is betrothed to her, but it still works well. I feel for Cal, he's so nice and it's clear that he cares for her a lot, so it's a shame that she doesn't feel the same way. Although judging by some actions toward the end of the book this may change, it'll be interesting to see what happens between them in the next book.

There's a lot of action in this book, and a lot more magic and spells. A lot more dark magic, of course, now that Sophie knows she's a demon. There's cool teleportation, Sophie's bound to a ghost, people are trying to kill her, it really is jam packed. But, the laugh out loud humor is still there, which is awesome. I loved it in the last book and I loved it in this one too.

The progression of the relationship between Sophie and her father is really great to watch too. At first, she's unsure, and doesn't trust him. I wouldn't either, if he'd been gone from my life for 17 years. But then as she starts to trust him a little more, she grows to care for him. It's clear that she wants to make him proud, and that she recognizes that he has a lot that he can teach her.

The story leaves you wanting so much more. I don't want to put in any spoilers but let me just say that I'm so disappointed that my library doesn't have the third book, I'll have to get it ASAP so that I can find out what happens. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
When Sophie Mercer was sent to monster school she had no idea what she would get into. She never thought she'd be best friends with a vampire who may or may not be killing off the school's mean girls, be haunted by a ghost who is actually her dead grandmother, or fall in love with the "pretty" boy of the school. But she did. Then a bomb was dropped on Sophie. She's a demon. And then she drops a bomb on everybody else. She wants to go through the Removal where she can get all her powers and demoness removed but the cost could be her life.

Now I'm sure you're wondering what happened with all of that. Well 6 months later she's still at Hex Hall after declaring she wanted to go through the removal. Her mom is there with Cal which sounds strange writing it now but didn't sound strange reading it so there must have been some sort of arrangement where he moved.... whatever. Her father comes to get her and she spends the summer at Thorne Abbey with...... Jenna and Cal! Yes, my friends Jenna is there. And Cal you know is just there to add to the whole love triangle thing. Hawkins sends you another of one those *gasp* moments with those two.

There are another two people thrown into the mix and they happen to be demons. "Wait. What?" you ask. "Demons are being raised?" *knowing smile*. Bwahahaha!!! Well Nick and Daisy are a strange bunch. Daisy is quiet until it's just them. The adults are just way too happy in Thorne Abbey. Creepily so. Nick is a bit wilder and you know it just by looking at him. And then of course there is the thing about Archer being in London....

So much better than the first! The other one wasn't bad at all but it even got better! The second book usually is eh compared to the first or an utter disappointed making you cry out and rant maniacally how horrible the author is and why? Why would they do this to you!? But Demonglass exceeded my expectations. My mind was blown more than once. The secrecy underneath... and then the Cal and Archer situation. I still can't decide! So many exclamation points....

Sophie again was her same sarcastic self which I am very happy about. She was what made me love Hex Hall from the beginning so I'm happy she didn't change much. She kind of grew up from the last book. She has more confidence. As you can tell from the difference in the two lovely book covers. The end is so evil! Like that's it and then I sob from wanting more. Nevertheless it was a great ending that has kept my mind occupied with different scenarios and hopefully there won't be any betrayals but I have a bad feeling that there will be which will make me rant and curse Hawkins! You know. The old standby. So you know I'm expecting Spell bound to be just as great if not better than Demonglass.

http://shesgotbooksonhermind.blogspot.com/ ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
A very nice, engaging sequel. I'm still not sure in what order I'd rank the books of the series in so I can't really say for sure here. I read them all pretty quickly and they sort of all just blend together as one, big action packed story to me. I give it a four out of five stars! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
So fun! It was a great continuation to the series and I loved it! ( )
  mmalyn | Feb 24, 2018 |
For John, who said, "You know what this book needs? More fire. And maybe some swords" This one time, honey, you were right.
At a normal high school, having class outside on a gorgeous May day is usually pretty awesome.

Sophie Mercer's first term at Hex Hall turned out to be quite eventful. First the ghost of her evil grandmother haunted her every move, then her best friend was accused of murder and of course there was the discovery that Archer Cross, aka the boy of her dreams, was actually an undercover demon hunter - which would probably be something she could have worked on, if she hadn't also discovered that she was actually the demon Archer was hunting...So, despite their issues, Sophie is actually relieved to be spending the summer in London with her father. But when your father is Head of The Council of Prodigium and your summer is being spent at the headquarters of everything magical, then a quiet holiday isn't really that likely. And, as Sophie struggles to come to terms with her new found demon powers, she finds herself thrust once again into a world of dark magic and conspiracies. The only thing that could possibly make things more complicated would be for Archer Cross to show up again, which of course he wouldn't, would he?

After learning that she is capable of dangerous magic, Sophie Mercer goes to England with her father, friend Jenna, and Cal hoping to have her powers removed, but soon she learns that she is being hunted by the Eye--and haunted by Elodie.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,749,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible