Moonlight Road by Robyn Carr

Moonlight Road (2010)

by Robyn Carr

Series: Virgin River (11)

Erin was pushed into taking a leave from her job, so she comes to her brother-in-law's Virgin River cabin to hide out for a while. Aiden is taking time off after leaving the Navy to decide what's next, staying near his brother in Virgin River. Letting his hair and beard grown, and taking long hikes in fatigues, he scares Erin when he spies her at her remote cabin. But after he scares off a bear that got into Erin's house, she decides he's OK. Back story of older widow Maureen hooking up with Noah's seminary professor, and agreeing to travel the country with him in an RV, sending her sons into apoplexy. ( )
  nancynova | Nov 3, 2017 |
The Virgin River series by Robyn Carr is like a visit with family. It's nice to see what is going on in the town, and what new people you may meet along the way.

With her younger siblings settled and happy, Erin Foley has empty nest syndrome. At age thirty Five.

So she's hitting the pause button on her life and holing up in a secluded cabin near Virgin River. Erin is planning on getting to know herself... not some shaggy-haired mountain man.
In fact beneath his faded fatigues and bushy beard Aiden Riordan is a doctor, recharging for a summer after leaving the navy. He is intrigued by the pretty, slightly snotty refugee from the rat race. He'd love to get closer...if his scruffy exterior and crazy ex-wife don't hold his back. ( )
  oldriverbooks | Mar 2, 2015 |
Again, Robyn Carr proves that she can make you fall in love with Virgin River again and again.
In a new perspective of Virgin River, we know more about some secondary characters, like Aiden and Erin, and be in touch with all the others.
This is what I like the most about Robyn Carr novels, especially these ones, everything is told, the new as a place with the old and you can feel a continuous sense of gathering and love. That is what Virgin River is to me, a safe harbor.
Also, it's funny, tragic and beautiful. It's a ray of light for those who need to feel a little loved. ( )
  Lost_Lenore | Oct 15, 2013 |
Moonlight Road was another fabulous installment in Robyn Carr's Virgin River series. This one focuses primarily on the rather large and still growing Riordan clan. We also get to see a fair bit of Ian and Marcie (A Virgin River Christmas) for the first time since their book. Many other current and former Virgin River residents pop in for a visit although some are merely in the background. This time the story was a little less about the town, and a little more about both Aiden and Erin's family ties. I absolutely loved this though, because the Riordans and Foleys still projected that warmth and comfort that I've come to expect from a Virgin River novel.

Like all of his brothers and many of the male residents of Virgin River, Aiden is a military man, ex-Navy to be precise. Not wanting to be assigned to a ship again for the next two years, he resigns his commission to look for work in the private sector. Out of all the Riordan boys, Aiden is the one who has wanted a wife and children the most, but also the one who has had the worst luck with women. After his brief but tempestuous marriage to a “crazy woman,” he's been rather wary of relationships despite his desire for a family. He finally realized that being in the Navy wasn't helping any in his search for the right woman. Before finding a steady job and settling down, he decides to sojourn in Virgin River for a few months while awaiting the birth of his first nephew. In my opinion, Aiden leans toward being a beta hero. As an OB/GYN, he's very sensitive toward women's issues, and overall, he's a pretty romantic guy. Even though he doesn't exactly get off on the right foot with Erin, which leaves her less than accommodating, he is very gentle and takes the time to get to know her. I love how he was secretly doing little things for her without her knowing about them. He was kind of her own personal gardening and handyman fairy which was really cute. It was also incredibly romantic how he gave Erin the prom that she'd missed out on, and I love how he taught her to just relax and have fun. Add to all this the fact that Aiden is a tender lover who patiently awakens Erin to things she's been missing, and he's pretty much the perfect guy. I've liked Aiden since he was first introduced in Luke's book, so I was very excited to finally get to his book. It certainly didn't disappoint, and I think he found the perfect match in Erin.

When Erin was first introduced in Marcie and Ian's book as the meddling older sister, I had a hard time warming up to her. After reading this book, I realize that she was simply a misunderstood character. Erin has spent her whole life taking care of her family and basically missed out on some of her formative growing up years. I have to say that I admire her commitment to her brother and sister. She was a very strong woman to put herself through law school while taking care of them. Now that both of them have lives of their own and have moved out, she's feeling adrift, not knowing what to do with herself. After doing a major remodel on Ian's primitive old cabin to make it livable, Erin takes a long leave from work and comes to Virgin River looking for a peaceful place to learn how to be alone. Sadly, she can't seem to find anything to do that interests and excites her until a scruffy-looking mountain man comes walking out of the forest into her clearing. Being a girly-girl who's into designer clothes and such, she's none too impressed with him at first, but when she finds out how nicely he cleans up, she can't help being attracted. She'd dated occasionally, but never had a serious relationship. Her already too-full life simply didn't allow for it, and most of the guys she went out with didn't really float her boat either. Aiden is different than anyone she'd known before and seems to intuitively know how to make her feel good. I enjoyed watching the personal journey Erin went on and how she grew throughout the story.

Of course, this wouldn't be a Virgin River novel without lots of secondary characters, some of whom get their own POV scenes. Luke and Shelby are eagerly awaiting the birth of their first child while dealing with some new developments for Art, the young man with Down's Syndrome who became their charge. I love how Robyn Carr gives everyone an opportunity for romance regardless of age or disability, so I thought the little side plot about Art reconnecting with his “girlfriend” was really sweet. Sean returns from his tour in Iraq, but he, Franci, and Rosie are only around for a short while before heading off to his next assignment. Momma Maureen makes good on her plan to spend her retirement traveling the country with her boyfriend, George, in their new luxury RV, which surprises a few of her offspring, and their first stop is Virgin River to be there for the baby's birth. Erin's sister, Marcie, and her husband, Ian, are also about to become first-time parents, which is partly why Erin decided to vacation fairly close to home. The only townspeople who have a major part in this book are Jack and Mel who experience a little trouble in paradise as they disagree over whether to have another child, which would be a big undertaking since Mel had a hysterectomy. I have to admit that I was a little worried about this part of the story, but I'm very pleased with how it all turned out. Lastly, was the villain, Aiden's crazy ex, Annalee. I felt so bad for Aiden for all that she put him through, both during their marriage and when she returns in this book. I'm glad that Erin didn't doubt Aiden for long and instead, trusted the things he said even though she didn't exactly have proof. Very few villains make me as angry as Annalee did, so I guess that's a testament to Robyn Carr's writing skill.

Moonlight Road got off to an incredibly amusing start with Erin accidentally knocking herself out when Aiden walked out of the forest looking like a homeless man, carrying a machete. From there it runs a gamut of emotions with lots of warm family interactions as all the Riordans come together for the birth of Luke and Shelby's baby. It wraps up with some high suspense, but I won't say any more about that because I don't want to give anything away. Overall, it was another great addition to this already wonderful series that I highly recommend. ( )
  mom2lnb | Oct 3, 2013 |
I think this was my favourite book in this set of new books. Erin Foley is suffering from Empty Nest Syndrome after her younger siblings – which she helped to raise – have moved out and she is lost on what to do with herself. Aiden has recently left the Navy and is enjoying a summer break with his family in Virgin River, and is trying to figure out what to do with the rest of his life. Their first encounter was humourous and Erin believes Aiden is down on his luck – which he allows her to continue to believe. I did find this amusing as their initial interactions were about hiding behind different impressions of each other, but it allowed them to open up in a fun way. Robyn Carr has a great approach to humour and I loved how she implemented it with Aiden and especially later with the rest of the Riordans. And their interplay felt realistic but with a sense of fun.

I also loved how Aiden would help tend her garden that Erin tries to start while she’s holidaying in the woods. However it’s not something she’s happy with in her new setting, and she is quite lonely. And her garden – which is pretty lack lustre with her plants/veggies failing to grow – reflects her situation, where she’s alone and is unable to care and nurture for those she cares about. So I thought it was a wonderful symbolism that Aiden is the one who helps tend her garden, and it becomes a success and reflects what’s happening with them.

But soon after they embark in a relationship, Aiden’s ex crazy wife shows up. Although I don’t think she was literally crazy – just an ex from hell. I did enjoy the conflict that she brought to Aiden, and the people around him. Out of the ‘villains’ of these three books, Annalee felt the most real out of them, and made the most impact for me as her manipulative actions didn’t feel forced. I also think Aiden and Erin were my favourite couple who really complimented each other, and I loved the gentle humour and wit they shared.

I give Moonlight Road a 4 out of 5 ( )
  Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |

Robyn Carrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Toni Crandall, because the world would be a dimmer place without all the love you have in your heart. Thank you for being even more than a friend -- thank you for being a sister.
In the two weeks Aiden Riordan had been in Virgin River, he'd hiked over a hundred miles and grown himself a pretty hefty dark red beard.

With her beloved younger siblings settled and happy, Erin Foley has empty nest syndrome. At age thirty-five.

So she's hitting the pause button on her life and holing up in a secluded (but totally upgraded—she's not into roughing it) cabin near Virgin River. Erin is planning on getting to know herself…not the shaggy-haired mountain man she meets.

In fact, beneath his faded fatigues and bushy beard, Aiden Riordan is a doctor, recharging for a summer after leaving the navy. He's intrigued by the pretty, slightly snooty refugee from the rat race—her meditating and journaling are definitely keeping him at arm's length. He'd love to get closer…if his scruffy exterior and crazy ex-wife don't hold him back.

But maybe it's something in the water—unlikely romances seem to take root in Virgin River…helped along by some well-intentioned meddling, of course.

With her beloved younger siblings settled and happy, Erin Foley has empty nest syndrome. At age 35. So she's hitting the pause button on her life and holing up in a secluded cabin near Virgin River. Erin is planning on getting to know herself...not the shaggy-haired mountain man that she meets. She doesn't realized the stranger is a doctor, recharging for the summer after leaving the Navy. But maybe it's something in the water--unlikely romances seem to take root in Virgin River...helped along by some well-intentioned meddling, of course.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,529,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible