Soothing Music for Stray Cats by Jayne Joso

Soothing Music for Stray Cats

by Jayne Joso

412,354,983 (3)1

This is the story of Mark, who, after the suicide of the best friend he's not seen for 17 years, wanders out of his existing life and drifts off to London to flat sit. He then drifts around London in a cloud of depression meeting people in various implausible situations. I liked this book up to a point, but found the writing style a bit distracting - the colloquialisms, ending sentences with 'like' etc didn't quite work for me. Mark is also quite an annoying character, critical of others while having seemingly little insight into himself. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Jul 26, 2009 |
My name's Mark Kerr, I'm 35, and one of what my dad calls 'Thatcher's youth, and the generation who thought they could have it all'.

This contemporary rights of passage novel is a calm, cool, and well controlled debut flooded with warmth and humanity.

Mark's best friend, Jim, has just jumped from the window on the twentieth floor. In his quest to understand what was going through Jim's mind, Mark heads for London; dreams of songwriting, and the rhythms of better living drumming gently in his mind.

As his adventure unfolds Mark drifts through a familiar yet sometimes alienating cityscape using music and literature to help make sense of things, and making the most amazing friendships on the way.

'... a generous and engaging novel which embraces the extremes of human experience so thoughtfully and yet so lightly.' Emma Rae, Planet Magazine, Issue 195.

finalist for the People's Book Prize 2009/2010

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:35 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,802,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible