A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1) (original 1996; edition 2003)

by George R. R. Martin (Author)

35,902106147 (4.36)4 / 1483
A tale of court intrigues in the land of Seven Kingdoms, a country "blessed by golden summers that go on for years, and cursed by cruel winters that can last a generation". The cold is returning to Winterfell, where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime. A time of conflict has arisen in the Stark family, as they are pulled from the safety of their home into a whirlpool of tradedy, betrayal, assassination plots and counterplots. Each decision and action carries with it the potential for conflict as several prominent families, comprised of lords, ladies, soldiers, sorcerers, assassins and bastards, are pulled together in the most deadly game of all, the game of thrones.… (more)
Member:pandaofhugs
Title:A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
Authors:George R. R. Martin (Author)
Info:Bantam (2003), 819 pages

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (1996)

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (MyriadBooks, Navarone, martlet)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (majkia)
    majkia: Both feature war-torn landscapes, confusing and conflicting motivations for main characters, and focus on complex characters whose loyalties are strained and oftentimes change.
    Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay (allthesedarnbooks)
    Shogun by James Clavell (saturnine13)
    saturnine13: If you like gritty, faux historical fiction, how about another with an asian flavor? Shogun, like A Game of Thrones, concerns the byzantine political intrigues of a multitude of different characters painted in moral shades of grey, generously heaped with gruesome action and heart-breaking romance. While Shogun lacks dragons, it does have the added interest of being mostly based upon real events and people.… (more)
    A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (Sunnussu)
    The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword by George R. R. Martin (jpers36)
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (music2084)
    The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    The Iron King by Maurice Druon (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".
    Acacia: The War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (Konran)
    Malice by John Gwynne (Toby_Sugden)
    Toby_Sugden: The start of what looks like a great fantasy series
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (sboyte)
    sboyte: Like Game of Thrones, this book shows us the lives of medieval men and women with a bit of magic and politics thrown in.
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker (martlet)
    Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both are high fantasy epics with dragons :-)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Tjarda, Patangel)
    The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford (nessreader)
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (Anonymous user)
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)

1990s (3)

English (1,012)  Spanish (15)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  German (5)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (1,060)
I know there are a ton of people who absolutely love this book/series, and alternately, there are a bunch of people who hate it. As for me, I've only read this book so far, and seen half of the first season of the TV show based on this novel, so I'm certainly not well-versed in the series as a whole yet. However, I have to say that I'm on the fence with this particular book.

I went into this book expecting an epic fantasy novel, and finished the book feeling ripped off. It seemed as if occasionally George R.R. Martin realized he was supposed to be writing in the fantasy genre and threw in a dragon here or a direwolf there just to appease the critics. However, this book focused more on the dynamics and politics of a made-up society where everyone is human. If I had wanted to read a book just like that, I could have picked up a history text about the Normans vs. the Saxons, or something about the Germanic tribes. I wanted fantasy, but all I got was a dish of politics, with a side of sociology, all sprinkled lightly with a dish of whimsy.

Beyond that complaint, there were two other things that irked me. One: it was hard for me to LIKE any of the characters. Sure, Jon Snow is intriguing, and I enjoyed reading about Tyrion Lannister, as well as Arya and Bran Stark. But as a whole, I found myself either hating or being annoyed by a good number of the characters, and that's never a good thing (in my opinion, of course.)

Secondly, this book was so obviously written about a man. The female characters sustained much abuse at the pen of the Martin, and I don't mean just because so many were raped, abused, insulted, etc. With the exceptions of Arya, and perhaps her mother at times, the women in this novel all had gross faults to deal with, unlike a good number of the male characters who only had minor issues at best. Also, let's not forget the number of times "breasts" were mentioned throughout the whole 800-something pages, whether they were loose, swinging, small, or what have you. Just because women have breasts doesn't mean they're thinking about them all of the time, George R.R. Martin. I noticed that you didn't write about male genitalia as much as you wrote about female parts - this is uneven and just comes off leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Overall, I enjoyed the general idea of the novel. Politics and court intrigue are all well and good in their own ways... The lack of a strong fantasy core and the empty, unresolved storylines ("Winter is coming...") just left me hanging and not in a good way. I'm hoping they will be resolved in the other novels and I really hope that there will be more fantasy now, but that remains to be seen. As for now, I am feeling discontented and a little bit petulant. Apologies to those of my friends who are deeply offended by this review!

ETA: This review is only the bare bones of my thoughts on the book... I could go into depth about other things I liked/disliked, but that would take far longer than I care to get into at the moment. Suffice it to say, if I want high fantasy, I will happily stick with Tolkien! ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
I know I'm late to the game, and I don't know what happened last time I tried to give this a listen, but I'm so glad that Nate talked me into giving it another go. I was absolutely transfixed by this story and could not read it fast enough. The only slow part was a big chunk of Danearys' story, but even that had it's moments. On to the next one! ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
Actual vote: 4.5 stars

Martin è senza dubbio un bravissimo scrittore.
Delinea i personaggi in modo cosi dettagliato che sembrano veri, umani, con i loro pregi e difetti, doppiogiochisti, onorevoli, orgogliosi o umili. Ti ci fa affezionare o te li fa odiare, ma come se fossero persone, quindi quello che sta simpatico a me può non stare simpatico ad un altro e via discorrendo. Di questo libro mi è piaciuto quasi tutto, in primis la scrittura o lo stile, per intenderci. Ciò che non mi è piaciuto non sono le morti che già sapevo perché ho visto la serie TV (anche se fino all'ultimo speravo che non accadessero), bensì i POV di alcuni personaggi prettamente noiosi o paranoici. Tutto cio, però, lo considero relativo. Mi spiego: anche in quei capitoli dove mi sono rotta le scatole succedeva qualcosa o veniva spiegato qualcosa di importante, infatti per questo li ho apprezzati. Ciò che mi ha fatto tentare il suicidio più volte è il modo in cui alcuni personaggi metabolizzano gli eventi (avete visto che sono veri? Vi prego, ditemi che non sono l'unica a pensarlo). Ad esempio, Sansa! Spero che si dia una bella svegliata prima o poi perché è tutta un "Joffrey mi ama e anche la regina mi ama" oppure "ripeti a memori tutto quello che ti hanno insegnato a dire in queste situazioni". Oppure Catelyn! Miiiii! "Devo essere una Stark". I personaggi che dicono questo tipo di frasi ("devo comportarmi da...devo dimostrare di essere qui, là e insà") mi stanno sulle balle. Cara Catelyn non sarai mai una Stark, ma un l'insopportabile e rompipalle Tully! Oppure Bran... Martin, ma ti pare?! Non era meglio fare morire lui e tenere in vita Khal Drogo?! Perché devi storpiare un ragazzino che da paralizzato è inutile come una nutria e mi fai morire Khal Drogo per una morte stupida?! vabbe tralasciamo, tanto è inutile parlare con Martin... Insomma il tutto per dire che i personaggi sono vivi e sono legati da intrighi politici di tanto di cappello.
Consigliato? Assolutamente si! Anche a chi non è amante del fantasy dato che di Fantasy ha relativamente poco. Passatemi il concetto. Gli elementi fantasy in questo libro non sono portanti. I personaggi sono umani e la trama si snoda tra intrighi di corte, non attraverso un sistema magico. ( )
  Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |
I FINALLY finished this book! probably 3.75 stars.

Staring out this book, I had heard a lot about this book and I knew a lot of major spoilers for this book and for later books in this series. I think the fact that this series became such a cultural phenomenon really affected my reading experience. In some ways it was good that I knew some spoilers because I could see how those events were foreshadowed in the writing. However, this book was so hyped up that I felt like I would like it even though I know that this type of " very similar to the real world, war fantasy" is not really the kinds of books I like to read.

I thought the writing in this book was really good. I can absolutely see why this book gets the praise it gets. Every plot point seems very intentional, though there were times where I think some plot points could have been changed slightly and improved. My issues and boredom with some parts of the book had less to do with the writing and more to do with my fantasy preferences, though I do think if something is really well written, I won't be bored even if it's outside my comfort zone.

I think what I've heard most from fan of these books is how well written and complex every character is and I think that's true. Each character manages to make you understand their actions, even if you disagree with them. The thing I don't love as much about this world and the characters is just how similar it was to our real world. Everything matched a real medieval setting with the same government and attitudes and gender roles. There is no need to make everything so similar to real life and to me shows a lack of creativity somewhat. And people can't just say it needs to be that way because it's whats realistic because this is a fantasy world.

Also, after reading [b:Parable of the Sower|52397|Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1)|Octavia E. Butler|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1442169447l/52397._SY75_.jpg|59258], I think I've seen the better way to write about difficult issues, such as sexual violence and violence against women, and I do have some problems with how that was written in this book. I'm not going to get into it because other have discussed this and better than I could but if you want to read a book that deals with these issues well, I would recommend reading Parable .

I think at some point in the future I'll continue with this series but I have so much to read right now and I'm not super excited about reading the next book so I'm not sure when I'll be reading book two. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
This book was even more fun the second time around. And having watched the show makes keeping track of characters so much easier.

auldhouse | Sep 30, 2021 |
This is a perfect book.

There's honestly nothing I can think of that could improve it in any way. This is a book that made me shout at it, that made me giggle and cry, that made me gasp, that made me tremble and hate and love. It's seamless; I'd say it's unputdownable, except that sometimes I found I desperately needed to put it down because I was overwhelmed with the wonder of it, only to pick it up again half an hour later.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 15, 2007)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thulin, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
this one is for Melinda
"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. "The wildlings are dead."
"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends", Ser Jorah told her. "It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace." He gave a shrug. "They never are."
Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? "That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.
The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.
A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.
Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition.

Languages known to have multiple-volumes - French*, German*, Italian*, Portugese, Romanian and Swedish*.

Languages marked by an asterisk also have a single volume edition.
This is the single-volume edition "A Game of Thrones". DO not combine with the omnibus edition containing "A Game of Thrones" and " A Clash of Kings".

Long suffering Starks,
betrayal is always near,
beware Lannisters.

(leahdawn)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,485,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible