The Enemy of the Good by Michael Arditti

The Enemy of the Good (2009)

by Michael Arditti

Another of those gay Anglican Aga-sagas, with a bit of orthodox Judaism, mercy-killing, and prison life thrown in. Not disagreeable if you like that sort of thing - and I generally do - and it's undeniably a bold concept, but it did seem to me that Arditti wasn't quite a good enough writer to get away with that much philosophy in one novel. It does occasionally feel as though you're trapped in a soap opera, as one ethical challenge follows another in bewildering succession. A bit of lightness and wit in the narrator's voice would have made all the difference, I think. ( )
  thorold | Aug 6, 2012 |
Before I picked up this book in the library, I had never heard of Michael Arditti, but I found this story fascinating. Following various members of the Granville family, it explores the difficulties that people feel when trying to reconcile their faith and the modern world - or perhaps, more accurately, how faith can still provide a necessary haven of peace and purpose in a world that can otherwise seem heartbreakingly cruel. Edwin Granville is a bishop who no longer believes in God, but who believes in the vital social role of the rituals and community of the church. His wife, Marta, is a secular Jewish anthropologist who sees moral perfection in the African tribe she has spent her career studying. Their son, Clement, is a liberal Christian who has managed to reconcile his faith with his homosexuality; his boyfriend, Mike, is resolutely secular. Susanna, Clement's sister, is perhaps the character who undergoes the most transformation throughout the story, finding comfort and peace within the Orthodox Judaism from which her mother had distanced herself. And there is a rich cast of supporting characters who expand and enrich the story.

I'm not religious, but that didn't stop me empathising with and enjoying Arditti's story. It resonated with me because, at root, it's a story about the changing dynamics of family life, about trying to find meaning in the world and about the struggle to find a balance between worldly success and inner peace. I imagine some readers might feel alienated by the fact that so much of this book revolves around privileged people having heated philosophical discussions - but, to me, it was a book that had real heart and characters who are complex and believable: sympathetic and selfish by turns. I can best describe it by saying that it felt like a cross between A.S. Byatt and Alan Hollinghurst. ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Mar 6, 2012 |

The Glanvilles are an extraordinary family. Edwin is a retired bishop who has lost his faith. Marta a child of the Warsaw Ghetto, is a controversial anthropologist. Their son, Clement, is a celebrated gay painter traumatized by the death of his twin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,765,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible