dismiss

Atemschaukel : Roman by Herta Müller

Atemschaukel : Roman (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Herta Müller

January 1945, the war is not yet over : the Soviets begin the deportation of the German minority from the labor camps in Ukraine. This is the story of seventeen year old Leo Auberge, who went to the camp with the naive unawareness of the boy eager to escape provincial life. The last five years however he experienced daily hunger and cold, extreme fatigue and death.… (more)
Member:Cath.Blaauwendraad
Title:Atemschaukel : Roman
Authors:Herta Müller
Info:Frankfurt am Main Fischer-Taschenbuch-Verl. 2011

The Hunger Angel by Herta Müller (2009)

Recently added byprivate library, lumen156, casa_tali, Pen_the_silea, Fesp, malinsundback, benjamin_oc, DougLasT
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (Anonymous user)

English (31)  Dutch (8)  German (7)  Catalan (5)  Norwegian (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (56)
Like many readers, I didn't know of Muller before she was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2009. It happens this book was written in that year, and translated to English in 2012. The story is of Leo Auberg, shipped off to a freezing Soviet labor camp at the close of the Second World War, simply for being a Romanian of German ethnicity. My research shows that about 15% of Romania's German population was deported (over 30,000), on the order of the USSR, especially men but also most young women excepting those who were pregnant or with young children. Muller's mother was one of the deportees (5 years labor), and along with the author's interviews with a dissident male poet who also survived, she traced actual experiences to create this novel. The story is jarring. Deplorable conditions and near-starvation are icily evoked. With meager rations, Leo must decide each morning if he can will himself to save a morsel of bread to supplement his evening soup. Short chapters, such as one focused on the tortured moving of fresh-molded cement blocks, and the body-choreography that goes into avoiding a botched delivery (and severe beating), is typical in its authentic feel. Spare, smartly told. And the Hunger Angel herself is a constant companion, awaiting the hollowed cheeks, "furred in white and clinging to her bones", to know that she can soon leave this poor soul, and find another. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Dec 8, 2017 |
C'è tanto in questo libro. Tanto talento. Tanto lavoro. Tanta storia. Tanti incubi. Tanta poesia.
[Nobel meritatissimo. Questo libro rimarrà, lascerà il segno] ( )
  downisthenewup | Aug 17, 2017 |
Profoundly disturbing, exquisitely evocative, heartrending. I do not know how else to characterize this magnificent piece of writing. Muller uses language (and I read this in an English translation) as few writers I have ever read have been able to. I felt as if I was inside the soul of Leo, a young man sent to a Russian work camp at the end of WWII. I am anything but a squeamish reader, yet I repeatedly had to set this book down because of the pain evoked by the author's prose. Just as Leo is haunted for the rest of his life by the hunger angel, I will be haunted by this powerful novel! ( )
  hemlokgang | Jul 30, 2017 |
I carry silent baggage. I have packed myself into silence so deeply and for so long that I can never unpack myself using words
By sally tarbox TOP 500 REVIEWER on 23 Feb. 2014
Format: Paperback
In 1945, the Russians forced thousands of German Romanians into forced labour in their country. This novel follows 17 year old Leo Auberg, wrenched away from home to a new life, defined by constant hunger.
There are many books on such camps, but Ms Muller's work is entirely original and poetic, taking us inside Leo's head...recollections of home contrast with what's happening to him now; doubts as to whether his family even care about him; his personification of the 'hunger angel':
'The hunger angel climbs to the roof of my mouth and hangs his scales. He puts on my eyes and the heart-shovel goes dizzy, the coal starts to blur. He wears my cheeks over his chin. He sets my breath to swinging , back and forth...my brain twitches, pinned to the sky with a needle, at the only fixed point it has left, where it fantasizes about food...The hunger angel looks at his scales and says:
You're still not light enough for me. Why don't you just let go?'
Although Leo survives his 5 years in Russia, his life back home is scarred by the things he endured but cannot talk about. Stunning work. ( )
  starbox | Jul 9, 2016 |
Story about a young German who is taken to a labor camp in Russia as "wiedergutmachung". Life in the camp is horrible, people die, there's constant hunger. Mueller wrote the book after talking to someone who had actually been in such a camp. If the person hadn't died before Mueller wrote the book, they would have written it together.

It's a fascinating novel, very well written. It reads like poetry (I read it in German, I don't know if the same is true for translations). I'll say it again: it's very well written. ( )
  xtien | Jul 30, 2015 |
Von seltsamen Dingen, erschreckenden Erscheinungen hören wir in diesem Roman, vom "Hungerengel" und vom "Blechkuss", von "Kartoffelmenschen" und der "Atemschaukel". Der Hungerengel sitzt immer mit am Tisch, wenn die Insassen des Lagers die karge Ration Brot verzehren, die ihnen die "Brotoffizierin" zugeteilt hat, quälend langsam essen die einen, verzweifelt schlingen die anderen; der Hungerengel wacht über ihren Schlaf, er geht durch ihre Träume, begleitet sie in die Fabrik und auf das Feld hinaus, wo sie schuften, bis sie umfallen und in die Grube gekippt werden oder sich irgendwie aufrecht halten, um dann bis zum nächsten Tag in ihre Baracken zurückzukehren...

Der Roman ist aus 64 kurzen Abschnitten gebaut, ein jeder von ihnen schreitet ein Revier des Lagers, eine Höllenstunde des Lageralltags, ein Gefühl, eine Verlorenheit, einen Schmerz der Inhaftierten aus. Herta Müller hat für die "Atemschaukel" mit den Deportierten ihres Dorfes gesprochen, vor allem aber hat sie sich von Oskar Pastior, der als Jugendlicher in die Sowjetunion verschleppt wurde, immer wieder vom Leben und Sterben im Lager erzählen lassen. So sollte ein gemeinsames Buch beider entstehen, doch nach dem überraschenden Tod des Dichters im Herbst 2006 musste Herta Müller mit ihren Notizen, Aufzeichnungen, Plänen alleine zurande kommen und ihr eigenes Buch verfassen, das zwar auch die Lagergeschichte von Oskar Pastior erzählt, aber dennoch nicht als Schlüsselroman gelesen werden sollte

Å overleve i helvete : Nobelprisvinner Herta Müllers nye roman skildrer fem år i en sovjetisk arbeidsleir. Boka forteller en viktig historie i en høyst særegen stil. Herta Müller mottok i 2009 Nobelprisen i litteratur. I begrunnelsen heter det at hun nekter å fortie om de inhumane sidene ved kommunismen.
På norsk har man fram til nå kunnet lese tre av hennes romaner. Alle skildrer de på et vis diktaturets konsekvenser; det dreier seg om mennesker utsatt for overvåkning, terror og fordrivelse.

Poesiens avslørende makt : Nobelprisvinner Herta Müllers metode når det gjelder valg av ord er original. Hennes blanding av poesi, nøkternhet og jordnærhet blir en enestående litterær reise.

Müller, Hertaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Seltzer, RebeccaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Too, KellyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is abridged in

Alles, was ich habe, trage ich bei mir.
All that I have I carry on me.
1 shovel load = 1 gram bread

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Herta Müller's book Tot el que tinc, ho duc al damunt was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,675,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible