Introduction to Electrodynamics (3rd…

Introduction to Electrodynamics (3rd Edition) (edition 1999)

by David J. Griffiths

Member:astropi
Title:Introduction to Electrodynamics (3rd Edition)
Authors:David J. Griffiths
Info:Benjamin Cummings (1999), Edition: 3, Hardcover, 576 pages
Rating:*****

Introduction to Electrodynamics by David J. Griffiths

This book is an introduction on electricity and magnetism covering:

Electrostatics
Electric Fields
Magnetostatics
Magnetic Fields
Radiation
Relativistic Electrodynamics

The style of the book is very concise. In my opinion the majority of the examples are a bit abstract. Still the explanations are clear and the main points are indicated in such a way that you cannot miss them. For instance, in the story about Faraday’s law, the sentence

“A changing magnetic field induces an electric field.”

is printed in bold with a box around it and lots of whitespace. To be honest, I first tried winging it, only reading handouts and lecture notes. This was a big mistake. Having this book in my possession was a huge improvement. ( )
  IvanIdris | Jan 2, 2012 |
This is one of my all-time favorite reference books. It covers vector analysis and electrodynamics very comprehensively. Although I've never had a class that has required this textbook, I frequently found myself using it as a reference in courses I took in optics and fields and waves, and even for brushing up my vector math skills. ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 28, 2009 |
This is one of my all-time favorite science books! Does a BRILLIANT job of presenting the physics, and reviews the basic math (divergence, Stoke's Theorem, etc). This book is a MUST for anyone in physics/astronomy! This book WILL be useful when you study for you qualifying exam! Great exercises, great understanding and clarity of the physics, simple and clear figures (the way it should be), overall a masterpiece. Calculus is necessary here, but nothing much beyond that. Perhaps a little differential equations, and of course you needed to have basic physics. ( )
  astropi | Jun 23, 2009 |
Second year E&M textbook at Cornell circa 1991. Thorough and well-presented. Lots of exercises at the end of the chapters.
  billmcn | Dec 16, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 013805326X, Hardcover)

For junior/senior-level electricity and magnetism courses. This book is known for its clear, concise and accessible coverage of standard topics in a logical and pedagogically sound order. The Third Edition features a clear, accessible treatment of the fundamentals of electromagnetic theory, providing a sound platform for the exploration of related applications (ac circuits, antennas, transmission lines, plasmas, optics, etc.). Its lean and focused approach employs numerous examples and problems.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,231,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible