The Nanny Returns by Emma McLaughlin

The Nanny Returns

by Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus

Thank God for a follow up. I've always worried about Grayer X. I knew that Nanny (Nan-neh!) would land on her feet, but Grayer...I always wondered what would happen to him.

If you liked "The Nanny Diaries" I do believe you will like this sequel (the ladies are even talking trilogy!!) We find Nanny's socialite nemesies struggling against the economy - what do you mean I can't have my Prada and my driver too? - and Nanny struggling with possible motherhood.

I felt like the book brought up a lot of things I've seen in my own community over the last couple of years: Mothers in their Porsche SUVs with the kids tucked in back, head phones on watching Sponge Bob on the SUV's DVD system - totally unattached to their kids, unplugged as I heard someone mention the other day (a teacher); kids getting rowdier and rowdier with little to no personal responsibility; and an overall sense of entitlement.

I think Emma and Nicola's books are really good commentaries on current society. If you haven't read "Citizen Girl," you really must. Especially if you're a young woman struggling to figure out what to do with your life in our crappy economy. Again, Emma and Nicola just nail the feelings and struggles of women everywhere.

In Nanny Returns Nanny ponders motherhood: to be or not to be. Every one says, "oh you're so good with kids!" she finally says so what? just because i'm good with kids doesn't mean I will make a good mother. I've often heard how great I am with kids and how wonderful a mom I would make because of that. I applaud Emma and Nicola for bringing up this touchy subject. Nanny's husband travels a lot for his job and she says she doesn't want her child to grow up fatherless like so many of the kids she nannied in her day. She knows the impression that having two active parents in a child's life makes. Just because you conceived a child does not make you a parent. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
Narrated by Susan Bennett. Arrrghh! Nan is such an enabler and doormat. I really enjoyed "The Nanny Diaries" last decade, but perhaps my being 10 years older now, I found Nan's lack of backbone annoying. I would have called social services on the kids, high-society protocol be damned. Actually, that would have made a more interesting book: how would high society react if social services was called on one of their own? All things considered, narrator Bennett did excellent voicework, whether as snooty high society or the frustrated-at-every-turn Nan. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This was one of those books you just can't put down until you get to the end. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Typos & irritation -just enough to get me to stop halfway through (which I never do). The whole meek and mild main character irritates me to no end. If she gets her voice in the end, I'll never know but nothing irritates me more than a one-dimensional main character with overly made up characters around them. ( )
  nattso78 | Mar 11, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |

Emma McLaughlinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kraus, Nicolamain authorall editionsconfirmed
"Brooke Astor was always candid about the fact that she was not the motherly type."
- New York Magazine, "The Family Astor,"
8/7/2006, Meryl Gordon

"And yet, for all his good works, Herman (Merkin) was a remote, withholding father. Short of not living at home he couldn't have been less involved."- New York Magazine, "The Monster Mensch,"2/22/09, Steve Fishman
"The (Madoffs) have not spoken to their father since his confession to them ... or to their mother, not because they think she was involved - they'd don't - but because they believe her tendency to side with him, no matter what ... enabled his dirty deeds."- Vanity Fair, "Did the Madoff Sons Know?"6/3/09, David Margolick
To the children on their way - we await you with arms and hearts open.
'What're we doing?"

Nan revisits 721 Park, home of the moneyed but morally bankrupt Xs, and the boy she guiltily left behind in their inept care in this smart and sassy sequel to The Nanny Diaries. And though Nan has grown up a bit, married Harvard Hottie Ryan and traveled the world, the plight of the rich and stupid continues, as does Nan's new crusade to save former charge Grayer and his younger brother Stilton, renovate a crumbling East Harlem mansion and stick it out at a soulless Manhattan private school. Outcomes are deeply uncertain, though Nan is nothing if not a natural-born cheerleader: I know what I'm worth. Because I care for these kids, I do, right down to my toes, she says of her young charges in and out of school. There's still one fear, however—whether she'll ever be able to make the leap from nanny to mommy. McLaughlin and Kraus leave no dry eyes as they once again wield a razor-sharp wit that cuts down the most uppity mortals even as it lifts up their vulnerable children. You could safely bet your first born that this'll be another smash hit. (Dec.)

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

From amazon.com

A sequel to the best-selling Nanny Diaries finds Nan returning to New York after 10 years abroad and getting approached by a drunken 16-year-old Grayer X, who describes his parents' brutal divorce and prompts her re-entry into child care for the elite.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,530,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible