Something Beyond Greatness: Conversations with a Man of Science & a Woman… (2009)

by Judy Rodgers, Gayatri Naraine

Greatness Has Many Faces In their worldwide search for extraordinary figures who fit the criteria for 'something beyond greatness,' authors Judy Rogers and Gayatri Naraine humbly discovered that the quality of greatness is not the exclusive province of those recognized publicly for their deeds. While all of us acknowledge that this noble characteristic is shared by people such as Gandhi, Mother Teresa, and Martin Luther King Jr., what Rogers and Naraine found is that this life-affirming quality very often rests in the ordinary. We are all capable of seeing with love and acting from the heart--two essential qualities of those who accomplish the selfless deeds that transform the world for the better. It is the choice people make when faced with a call to action, no matter how seemingly small or grand, that sets them apart and elevates their esteem in others' eyes, if not in their own. Something Beyond Greatness is a thought-provoking discussion of the humble, loving service to others that is at the heart of greatness. For insight into the two sides of the coin, Rogers and Naraine turned to a woman of God and a man of science--Dadi Janki and Humberto Maturana, both world-renowned in their respective practices. Through their discussions with Janki, Maturana, and many others, you'll come to realize, as have the authors, that the two sides of the coin make one whole . . . and that performing a miraculous act of greatness or living a life of greatness is an inspired and heartfelt choice that one makes in a moment of chaos, in the… (more)

First off, I have to say that when I first read about this book, I was expecting something different. I had understood it to be a book of tales of heroism in the face of danger, stories of people who stood up for what’s right without thought for the consequences, stories of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Ghandi and everyday people. While it did have a few stories in it, it was more a book about the recipe for such people.

At first, I didn’t think this book was much. At times it was difficult for me to retain what was being said, which may have to do with the fact it’s been hot and I had walked to the library in the heat to read it there. But the crazy thing about it is that the info pops out and says boo! now as I’m watching the news, movies, or reading. There’s this little voice in the back of my mind that analyzes events I encounter through what I’ve read. AND the whole time reading it, every heroic act I’ve seen or heard or done popped up for application or proof of what I was reading.

The person who will step into greatness must see the others with love, compassion, and concern. He or she will have a sense of “mine” towards them. Then he or she must be able to sense or see the way through to help. Third, this person must have the will to step out and do it. Usually, this will is recalled by the person afterwards as more of a compulsion, “I just did what anyone else would do.”

My first impulse was to give this book three stars, but after watching it ooze and stew and bubble, I’m thinking it’s much more effective than I first thought and I’m going to give Something Beyond Greatnessby Judy Rodgers and Gayatri Naraine 4 out of 5 stars.

click for full review: http://thekoolaidmom.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/something-beyond-greatness-by-judy... ( )
  thekoolaidmom | Jun 28, 2009 |

Judy Rodgersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Naraine, Gayatrimain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Dadi Janki
Great leaders are first and foremost great human beings
"What the world needs now is not only individual moments of greatness or even individual lives of greatness, but whole communities of greatness. We need to move beyond admiring greatness in the other to becoming like that ourselves."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,059,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible