A Friend of the Family by Lauren Grodstein

A Friend of the Family

by Lauren Grodstein

Pretty absorbing, once I started reading I couldn't put it down. The story jumps around a lot, and has a lot of flashbacks, so it can be a little hard to follow at times but in the end it all comes together. I liked the way the writer portrayed a family dynamic, and the way she gave just enough info about what was currently going on to give you a thread to grasp at until you got the next piece of the story. Probably won't read it again, but it was worth reading. ( )
  MissWordNerd | Jul 14, 2018 |
I was hoping/expecting more. I had read so many great reviews. It was good but not great (or at least not as great as I thought it'd be). ( )
  Charlie-Ravioli | Jan 18, 2016 |
The depiction of suburban New Jersey and the conflicts therein were wonderful. I felt a little let down by the buildup of the conflict and the eventual reveal, the ending felt rushed and somewhat unsatisfying. But a great read until that point. ( )
  Caryn.Rose | Mar 18, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book. It's a struggle for every parent -- how far should you intervene in your children's lives, especially when you fear they're making choices that will destroy their futures. The central character, Dr. Pete, is a family practice doctor with a son who dropped out of college to pursue a career as an artist and who then becomes involved with the 30-year-old daughter of Dr. Pete's best friend, who as teenager killed her prematurely delivered baby in a bathroom stall. And by the way, Dr. Pete has also never gotten over the crush he's had on his best friend's wife since they all met in college. To make matters worse, he's facing a medical malpractice suit because a young woman under his care died. That's quite a dramatic stew -- and Grodstein explores it all with wonderful sophistication and not the least bit of melodrama. She does an amazing job examining all the issues -- whether someone who's made a horrible mistake can ever redeem their lives and how much parents should interfere in their children's lives without running the risk of just making everything worse. I loved her earlier novel, Reproduction is the Flaw of Love (Delta Fiction), which is also told from a man's perspective. She does a great job of getting inside men's heads. (There was only minor detail she got wrong, which I think most men would know. While shooting around a basketball, Dr. Pete -- who I think is supposed to be about 6 feet 2 -- dunks. That's not something most guys of that height, and especially those in their early 50s as Dr. Pete is, could do.) ( )
1 vote johnluiz | Aug 6, 2013 |
Grodstein is a terrific storyteller and an even better ventriloquist. She beautifully captures Pete’s sly self-deceptions: the man-of-the-people persona that masks his deeply rooted elitism, the liberal pose that hides an almost pathological conservatism.

For Nathaniel and in memory of his great-grandparents
These days, when people ask how I'm doing - some of them still ask, you'd be surprised - I shrug and say, as manfully as I can, "Much better than you'd think."

After his best friend's daughter, Laura, sets her sights on his son, Alec, Pete Dizinoff sees his plans for a perfect son not just unraveling but being destroyed completely and sets out to derail the romance.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,848,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible