Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp

Drinking: A Love Story (edition 1997)

by Caroline Knapp (Author)

Fifteen million Americans a year are plagued with alcoholism. Five million of them are women. Many of them, like Caroline Knapp, started in their early teens and began to use alcohol as "liquid armor," a way to protect themselves against the difficult realities of life. In this extraordinarily candid and revealing memoir, Knapp offers important insights not only about alcoholism, but about life itself and how we learn to cope with it. It was love at first sight. The beads of moisture on a chilled bottle. The way the glasses clinked and the conversation flowed. Then it became obsession. The way she hid her bottles behind her lover's refrigerator. The way she slipped from the dinner table to the bathroom, from work to the bar. And then, like so many love stories, it fell apart. Drinking is Caroline Kapp's harrowing chronicle of her twenty-year love affair with alcohol. Caroline had her first drink at fourteen. She drank through her yeras at an Ivy League college, and through an award-winning career as an editor and columnist. Publicly she was a dutiful daughter, a sophisticated professional. Privately she was drinking herself into oblivion. This startlingly honest memoir lays bare the secrecy, family myths, and destructive relationships that go hand in hand with drinking. And it is, above all, a love story for our times--full of passion and heartbreak, betrayal and desire--a triumph over the pain and deception that mark an alcoholic life.  Praise for Drinking "Quietly moving . . . Caroline Knapp dazzles us with her heady description of alcohol's allure and its devastating hold."--Los Angeles Times Book Review "Filled with hard-won wisdom . . . [a] perceptive and revealing book."--San Francisco Chronicle "Eloquent . . . a remarkable exercise in self-discovery."--The New York Times "Drinking not only describes triumph; it is one."--Newsweek… (more)
Member:y_reads
Title:Drinking: A Love Story
Authors:Caroline Knapp (Author)
Info:Dial Press Trade Paperback (1997), 304 pages

Work Information

Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp

Incisive dissection lf the motivations of a well-off, successful, "high-functioning alcoholic." Especially interesting is her understanding of her relationship with her father. She commits to AA and finds strength in the shared struggle, but makes no real claim for belief in a higher power. ( )
  beaujoe | Jan 9, 2022 |
“...I was living badly, just plain living wrong.”
“The shape of addiction is circular. When you drink to deal with feelings like that, it’s impossible to get over them.”
“that yearning for something, something outside the self that will provide relief and solace and well-being.”
“The drink stunts you, prevents you from walking through the kinds of fearful life experiences that bring you from point A to point B on the maturity scale...”
“...alcohol has the insidious dual effect of deadening the discomfort and also preventing us from ever really overcoming it...”
“liquor numbs the real feelings and the real fears and the real doubts; it deprives you of the courage it takes to be honest.” ( )
  bowendwelle | Apr 19, 2021 |
Beautifully written. A lot of her words hit close to home, having alcoholism in my family and seeing it up close and personal. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
Knapp's memoir, novel?, is accessible and poignant but the thematic structure of the book lends itself to circular and pedantic reflections on her alcoholism. I didn't get enough of her to really care about her plight or the struggles of her family. But her observations on the obfuscation of the self and avoidance of pain in drinking gave me much to ponder as I consider my own relationship with alcohol.
  b.masonjudy | Apr 3, 2020 |
It's not just drinking. We can fall in love in so many ways - some ways destroy us, some ways free us. This book helped me look at this razor edge of "on" which we court in our culture. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |

Caroline Knappprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zackman, GabraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,979,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible