Hatching Magic by Ann Downer

Hatching Magic (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Ann Downer

Member:oreolover333
Title:Hatching Magic
Authors:Ann Downer
Info:Aladdin (2004), Paperback, 256 pages

Hatching Magic by Ann Downer (2003)

English (12)  Chinese (1)  All languages (13)
Very cute! ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
I just love this book. I have read it so many times. I had to get myself an extra copy because of how much I love it. Will definitely read to my future children someday. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
Ok, there wasn't much plot. And the characters were kinda flat & vague. But the details about magic and wyverns and secret clubs, and even about Boston and Theodora's (Dodo's) family, was fascinating, even to this adult. I can just imagine how I would have loved it were I 10. Also, the drawings of the baby wyvern that opened each chapter were absolutely precious. No credit given, so they must be by Downer herself (?).

--------------

Ok, this is bad. I picked this up the other day getting ready to release it via Bookcrossing, and decided to read it first. I read the whole thing, formulated a review in my mind, came here, and only at that time did I find I've read it already. It's only 1 1/2 years later and I don't remember reading it before!

(The original date read is August 26, 2012.)

This time I was slightly less impressed, but in general had a similar reaction. The world-building was interesting, contemporary Boston was interesting, the adventure was ok, the characters were pretty darn blah. The whole thing was (indeed!) not memorable. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A complex, but fun tale of a time traveling dragon, her wizard, a professor, an evil wizard, and a young gamer. Whew! ( )
  Tina_Ervin | Jun 21, 2014 |

Ann Downerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rayyan,OmarCover & illustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, AnnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ed, with love, for always believing Wycca would make her way out of my imagination and onto the page with her scales unruffled and magic intact, and For Bennet, who generously shared his early months of life with the completion of this book, with very little complaint.
Like a cat that hides under the barn to have her kittens, a wyvern mother-to-be likes a nice, private spot to lay her egg.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689870574, Paperback)

In this friendly little fantasy, three different seekers pursue a lost dragon. And this isn’t just any dragon--her name is Wycca, and she’s a wyvern, the most catlike of the species. Wycca belongs to Gideon, a busy twelfth-century wizard. When he finds that she has wandered through a bolt-hole into the future, he sighs, packs up his magic implements and his familiars--Ignus the flame and the two-headed snake he calls Ouroboros--and steps into the mysterious opening to emerge in twenty-first century Boston. There he meets Iain Merlin O’Shea, the Wizard of Harvard Square, who takes him home and explains the magic of technology while they search for the lost wyvern. Other seekers are also abroad: Kobold, Gideon’s half-brother and arch enemy, wants to capture Wycca to turn her against her master; he has brought along an assistant demon, Febrys, who in her uncomfortable disguise as a human woman finds that cloven hooves are not compatible with high heels. Caught between these two magical forces is twelve-year-old Theodora, or Dodo, who yearns for the black wyvern card to complete her set and gain her admittance to the Wyvernkeeper’s Circle that meets in the local bookstore. To complicate matters, Wycca is with egg, and when she has nested and hatched her chick, there are two wyverns on the loose in Boston in this fast-moving tale that will entertain younger fantasy readers. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:34 -0400)

When a thirteenth-century wizard confronts twenty-first century Boston while seeking his pet dragon, he is followed by a rival wizard and a very unhappy demon, but eleven-year-old Theodora Oglethorpe may hold the secret to setting everything right.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,838,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible