Double Play by Jill Shalvis
208656,261 (3.97)9
    Hot Property by Carly Phillips (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are steamy contemporary romances featuring baseball players recovering from career-threatening injuries and threats of negative publicity. Both have a similar mixture of the funny and tender.

I did enjoy this baseball story. At first I thought it was heavy in sports talk but soon saw how that not only setup a fun plot but also showed strength of character which made this a good book. News reporter Holly is assigned to write a story about a baseball team including its pitcher Pace.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Loved it! I really can't get enough of Jill Shalvis' writing. I think I've read all of her books and I. Just. Can't. Get. Enough! This one was a little outside of the norm, seeing that the story involves the baseball world and not the whole small town thing, though that just gave this book and story a little other very great detail about it. We learn more about the baseball world and its very yummy and hot players, but also about a reporter that has some incredible backbone and doesn't take s*** from anybody. The other characters were very fun too, but there were some mixed feelings on my part about Red and Tucker, but that's just me. Hope everyone who gets their hands on this, enjoy it as much as I have. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |

Holly was fun and witty. Though she held herself back from forming strong attachments she wasn't completely closed off. She was still open and honest. I really liked her personality.

Pace wasn't your typical alpha-athlete. Though he was the star of the team, it bothered him that people thought of him so. Instead of coming off as a martyr, I found him to be somewhat refreshing.

The issue of trust between the two of them was the main source of contention. I think this worked because both were upfront about not trusting the other, and because the reasons each presented were believable.

Overall I really enjoyed the book. I'm anxious for the next one. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
The romance was worth three stars, but the baseball was only worth one. I really don't need yet more PED sanctimony out of my pleasure reading. I couldn't believe the pitcher's recovery process, and the heroine's grasp of journalistic ethics gives bloggers a bad name. ( )
  bunnygirl | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is an author who knows how to write perfect contemporary romance. Jill Shalvis is always guaranteed to make you laugh; provide a hot relationship, an engaging story, and excellent secondary characters.

Now, I absolutely hate baseball. I didn’t think there was anything more boring than cricket, but it’s possible baseball is. Yet, somehow that didn’t matter to me, and Shalvis managed to make me care about it enough to really enjoy the book.

Pace and Holly are both excellent, well-rounded characters. Pace is a star with a multi-million dollar contract, and Holly is a reporter doing a series of articles about the team and the sport. She’s there, basically, to dig up things the team would rather leave buried - drug scandals, for example. When she discovers there is truth to the rumours, it causes all kinds of problems with her new relationship with Pace.

Shalvis writes stories that are generally lighthearted, but with just enough depth and emotion to stop them delving into Chick Lit Land. She’s one of the few authors who can make me laugh out loud, and yet at the same time I really care about the characters and what happens to them. There is a whole cast of entertaining and individual characters in this book, including the hero and heroine of the second book in the Pacific Heat series.

I very much enjoyed this book. ( )
  ZosiaCanberra | May 19, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425228681, Mass Market Paperback)

He's a great pitcher...and a great catch.

With the end of his career looming, the last thing ace pitcher Pace Martin needs is a distraction, even if it comes in the form of a tough, beautiful, tell-it-like-it-is writer who sees past his defenses.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:08 -0400)

"Pace Martin is the ace pitcher for the Pacific Heat. He's got the arm, the experience, and the wins. He's also got the pain, the pressure, and the possible end of his career looming over him. The last thing he needs now is a distraction, even if it comes in the form of a tough, beautiful, tell-it-like-it-is writer who sees past his defenses. Holly Hutchins knows a good story when she sees one, and the tall, dark, and slightly attitude-challenged Pace Martin fits the bill. But when she realizes there's more at stake than just a win, she starts to see the handsome, broad-shouldered jock in a different light. Pace and Holly begin a seductive game, but in the face of unexpected betrayal and challenges, they'll have to find the courage to swing for the fences..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,600,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible