A King of Infinite Space by Tyler Dilts

A King of Infinite Space (2009)

by Tyler Dilts

It was't awful and the characters were intersting. It dragged for me and I guessed the doer in the first quarter of the book. I will not look for others by this author. ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
Well written police procedural featuring widower detective Danny Beckett in Long Beach, CA.

Ditts does an excellent job in this first person narrative of conveying the problems cops face. Beckett keeps his emotions and grief in check, using alcohol as a crutch, as he works on a serial killer case with his partner Jen Tenaka. The partner is well drawn with an interesting complexity as a martial arts expert. The dynamics in the partnership is wonderful.

Read on Kindle and listened on Audible through Immersion Reading. ( )
  nospi | Feb 7, 2016 |
Great read, and I have already started on the second book in the series.

The characters are well formed, the words well chosen, and it's very easy to feel like you're in the main character's head. I finished it in one day because I didn't want to stop reading.

It didn't hurt that I was a CSULB student ages ago and grew up near Long Beach, so the locales were all familiar. I felt like I was back home again.

My favorite part? It was a hard choice, but I fell madly in love with "He left no tone unsterned." Brilliant.
  chawks64 | Dec 28, 2015 |
Eh, entertaining enough. Nothing critically great about it.

3/5 ( )
  ClaraCoulson | Nov 16, 2015 |
Run-of-the-mill police procedural with stereotypical widower cop who has drinking problem and is paired with attractive female partner more skilled than he is in martial arts, smarts, and professional ability.

Perp pretty obvious at the moment he’s introduced. Author wants to make his book stand out on the basis of shocking brutality of how the victims were dispatched and the exotic weapon used. When it comes to inventive weaponry and shrouded culprits, "Clue" is a better game than this is an engaging read.

That said, the writing is solid and the dialog natural and easy. While I didn’t like the book, there’s nothing to complain about in the writing style.

On a good day, I'm not the best fan of the genre. Murder mysteries have to be truly exceptional for me not to find them just variations on a slim formula made “new” by brutishness and some exotic element. ( )
  Limelite | May 30, 2013 |
For my mother
Awake in the darkness , long after midnight, I imagine it like this...

Long Beach, California, homicide detective Danny Beckett is pouring the weekend's first shot of vodka when the call comes in: Elizabeth Williams, a teacher at nearby Warren High School, has been brutally murdered in her classroom. When Danny arrives at the school, the blood-spattered crime scene turns even his veteran stomach. What could this young woman have done to make her the target of such a violent attack? And what is the significance of the victim's left hand, taken by the killer as a grisly trophy? As Beckett delves into investigation, he realizes that ghosts from his past are rising, transforming his hunt for the schoolteacher's murderer into a personal quest for redemption--Publisher's description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,929,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible