Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) by…

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Stephenie Meyer (Author)

Series: Twilight Saga (1)

51,508218216 (3.74)2 / 799
When seventeen-year-old Bella leaves Phoenix to live with her father in Forks, Washington, she meets an exquisitely handsome boy at school for whom she feels an overwhelming attraction and who she comes to realize is not wholly human.
Member:emoki13
Title:Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)
Authors:Stephenie Meyer (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2011), 544 pages
Rating:*****

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (2005)

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (xcentaur)
    xcentaur: Now that you've had the starters, lets move on to better vampire lit ...
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters, allisongryski, goodiegoodie, Konran)
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (Caramellunacy, allisongryski, jfoster_sf, rose_81, Konran)
    Caramellunacy: The Silver Kiss is a vampire romance that deals with being different and misunderstood, loneliness, grief and death - including a spree of murders. There's a definite poignancy to the relationship between Zoe and Simon that makes this well worth reading for fans of vampire lit.… (more)
    jfoster_sf: A classic vampire novel that also deals with love, loss, death, etc.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (_Zoe_, MyriadBooks)
    The Awakening by L. J. Smith (nicoleryan)
    nicoleryan: The Vampire Diaries has more to do with just vampires. Theres witches, wolves, and even underground demons....
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (Laelatb, samkablam7, SunnySD)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159, zippa101, Cpassmore)
    tyuiop159: They both have the same Romeo and Juliet structure.
    zippa101: It really filled that gap that twilight made.
    Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (VictoriaPL)
    Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (FFortuna)
    Betrayed by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Vampire Academy Box Set 1-6 by Richelle Mead (Aleana)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (jennyellen22)
    Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (stephxsu)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (HollyMS)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Matia414, ldelprete)
    ldelprete: this is a story in which you can really get attached to the characters. If you like to root for the underdog in stories, like jacob in twilight, then you will enjoy this series where the entire country is an underdog.
    Need by Carrie Jones (knfwalker, FFortuna, deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: YA novel with the same feel as Twilight, only possibly better!
    A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb (jbarry)
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)

English (2,079)  Spanish (21)  German (10)  French (9)  Dutch (8)  Finnish (7)  Swedish (6)  Italian (5)  Danish (5)  Norwegian (4)  Lithuanian (4)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Latvian (1)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hindi (1)  Chinese, simplified (1)  All languages (2,172)
Showing 1-5 of 2079 (next | show all)
The emptiness of this book was astounding. I didn't really care for the films, but I thought there might be more depth in the book. I was wrong. There was an unprecedentedly vast horror of cliche and petty manipulation. Pages upon pages describing the perfection of Edward and when it comes time to tell us about our main character, the description falters. Why? Because the author has determined to let her readers step into that role and fill it with their own sympathetic insecurities.

Whereas that may work for a teenage girl, I found it endlessly annoying. I never fell into the story, and that is its greatest failing. So many of the trivial things I would normally let slide in a book with my profound ability to suspend disbelief were shockingly forefront.

This rant could go on, but I'm beginning to make myself angry, and that should never happen in a review.

In short: if you're a teenage girl, pick it up. Otherwise... ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
Let me start with a caveat. I was vaguely curious about whether Stephenie would manage to pull off the task she said she set out to pull of with this book. To prove that she could swap the gender of her characters and still tell the same story, with the same gender roles she was so flamed for and how it would be the same. A new story rehashing the old. An author writing her own AU mash-up. As a previous reader, a teacher, and a fanfiction rerader/writer I had to admit I was a little awed by the idea and in that a tiny seedling of hope sprouted.

Only to be horrendously crashed by this book. I should just copy-paste all of my twitter/facebook comments while reading it. It was terrible, and basically felt like she control find-edited the names and then just tried to touch up certain seconds, but without actually doing anything else. Plus, she left the truly terrible faux paus in Alice's powers, even though she actually changed the entire end of the book. Yeah. Don't even consider this. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
Not totally sure how many times I've read this but I know i reread back in like 2019

8/20/20 :I'm just gonna call it quits for now, stopped reading around 58%. I should be getting Midnight Sun soon anyways so whatever ( )
  beethovensfruit | Aug 21, 2021 |
I had mixed feelings about his book. I loved the Twilight series when I read it but this was my first time reading this book. I was so sick of the narrator saying over and over and over again how perfect and beautiful Edythe. The book would have been shorter without that repetition and it was just like "okay, we get it." I did start enjoying the book once it got to the part where the rival vampires showed up. I was very curious to see how she would end the book and if it would change. I was very happy with the ending. Basically it was like the Twilight episode of how it should have ended. ( )
  nebulafire | Aug 20, 2021 |
So this book gets peoples shackles up all the time. There are those who hate it and though who love it and will defend it with a vengence. I am neither of those. While I do love the books and will even reread this series a few times probably. I won't defend it against haters, cause I kinda see there point. Its just the things that bother others don't ruin the book for me. But I do think the Edward is over controlling, and that Bella goes from independent to defining herself over a man. Not to mention selfish in the way that she can't let Jacob go, which would be best for both Edward and Jacob. I have no complaints about Jacob though. I love him. I'm team Jacob so much that Bella don't deserve him.

starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Showing 1-5 of 2079 (next | show all)
"Meyer's prose seldom rises above the serviceable, and the plotting is leaden" [....] "It's like reading a young teenage girl's blog"
added by GYKM | editWashington Post, Elizabeth Hand (May 26, 2010)

Astonishing, mainly for the ineptitude of her prose. Teen vampire schlock that has the nation’s youth in thrall.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph, Brian MacArthur (Nov 13, 2009)

[L]et me say to you as a meat-eating, Entourage-watching, sports-loving (OK, I really don't love sports, or actually understand sports) — heterosexual man who can't sit through a single show on Lifetime television, let me loudly proclaim: I, Brad Meltzer, love the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.

I confess, I have joined the legions of the bitten and smitten.

The plot may sound rather comic and camp, but Meyer chooses to play it straight and serious. Vampires or not, what this novel is really about is a fatal attraction to someone or something dangerously different from yourself. The trajectory of the story is such that Bella's behavior and choices grow increasingly more disturbing, with irrevocable, self-destructive consequences.

Meyer, Stephenieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twilight ( [2008]IMDb)
But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. -- Genesis 2:17
For my big sister, Emily,
without whose enthusiasm this story might still be unfinished.
I'd never given much thought to how I would die—though I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.
Breathe Bella.
You're exactly my brand of heroin.
It's twilight. It's the safest time of the day for us. The easiest part. But also the saddest, in a way. The end of another day, the return of the night.
ISBN 0316015849 is not a video recording.

Hachette Book Group

5 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316015849, 0316160172, 0316038377, 0316038385, 0316033413

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,175,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible