Wilma Tenderfoot: The Case of the Frozen…

Wilma Tenderfoot: The Case of the Frozen Hearts

by Emma Kennedy

2011 (2) adults (1) bureaucracy (1) children (1) children's (2) crime (2) criminals (1) detective (5) England (1) fast-paced (1) fiction (2) flirting (1) friendship (1) Grades 3-5 (1) grown-ups (1) hond (1) humor (2) humorous (2) jewels (1) juvenile (1) Malapropisms (1) murder (1) mystery (5) orphan (2) orphans (3) read (1) series (2) sugar (1) to-read (2) YA (1)

I loved the suspense and mystery in this book as well as the excitement in finding who stole the catzin stone and why peoples heartzs were getting frozen. ( )
  SRaval | Aug 24, 2013 |
Delightfully silly, a good mystery, and strong characters. The detective and Inspector reminded me a bit of Holmes (serious) and Watson (bumbling). "Pickle" the beagle sometimes stole the show! And, I tried the recipe for Corn Crumbles and they are quite addicting. ( )
  bookwren | Aug 8, 2012 |
I was sincerely looking forward to reading this children’s novel; it had the makings of a great story for me. I’m an eager adult reader of children’s fiction but this just didn’t cut the mustard I’m afraid. There was something missing that didn’t have me flipping through the pages desperate to know what happens to Wilma. I think it was the way the narrator had an annoying habit of speaking directly to the reader; sometimes this works but in this story it didn’t.

The characters are lovely though; Emma Kennedy did a good job of really making the reader appreciate them, especially Theodore. The plot itself is good, I just feel it went on a little too long. It seems as though it would suit a good 8 or 9 year old but the size of the font etc seems more suited to a reader about 3 or 4 years older than that. Maybe I’ve missed out on so much because my proof copy still had editorial notes and all the illustrations missing but I just didn’t feel the urge to continue into the next adventure with Wilma sadly. ( )
  SmithSJ01 | Nov 3, 2009 |
A great detective novel for children that follows in the traditions of Roald Dahl and Lemony Snicket. Wilma Tenderfoot is an endearing character and I'm sure her desire to become a detective will create many budding detectives amongst younger readers. Dark and funny, this book will delight both adults and children, and the sequel eill be eagerly awaited. ( )
  Rubbah | Sep 4, 2009 |

"Nothing and nobody stops Wilma Tenderfoot!" (If she does say so herself.)

Wilma Tenderfoot, a tiny, brash, and determined ten-year-old orphan, dreams of becoming a worldfamous detective so she can find out who her parents are. Wilma discovers that her new next-door neighbor is the renowned detective Theodore P. Goodman, and he has a new case. Wilma is set on becoming Mr. Goodman's apprentice, so with the help of her beagle, Pickle, she makes deductions, follows leads, and scouts out suspects. She's sure she'll win the famous detective over and crack the case, as soon as Pickle stops eating the clues.

With wicked humor, dastardly villains, red herrings, and a setting that would make Sherlock Holmes proud, this mystery is just like Wilma-funny, feisty, cheeky, and charming.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:23 -0400)

Wilma Tenderfoot, a ten-year-old orphan who lives at Cooper Island's Lowside Institute for Woeful Children, dreams of escape and of becoming the apprentice of the world-famous detective Theodore P. Goodman, whose every case she follows devotedly in the newspaper.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,924,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible