The Hickory Chair by Lisa Rowe Fraustino

The Hickory Chair (edition 2001)

by Lisa Rowe Fraustino (Author), Benny Andrews (Illustrator)

1994384,343 (4.37)None
Member:rmajeau
Title:The Hickory Chair
Authors:Lisa Rowe Fraustino (Author)
Other authors:Benny Andrews (Illustrator)
Info:Arthur A. Levine Books (2001), Edition: 1st, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, K-3rd, disabilities

The Hickory Chair by Lisa Rowe Fraustino

I loved reading this book! It reminded me of my grandmother and my family and also my childhood. It reminded me of everything other than the fact that the main character was blind. It portrayed him as a normal little boy, who did normal things, like play hide and seek with his grandmother,and he found her by smell not by sight. She said he had "Blind sight". Lavendar, one of my favorite smells. Let's be frank, what grandmother doesn't smell like bleach at some point! I love that his Grandmother would sit in her old hickory chair to read to him. What a special gift to leave to him and a special way to find out about it too. Read this book, you will not be disappointed! ( )
  S.Becnel | Aug 26, 2018 |
This book is about a little boy named Louie, he is blind. His grandmother and him are very close, she helps him learn how to use his other senses to help him get around. They would always read stories, and his grandmother would read them in her Hickory Chair. When she passes away, Louie doesn’t know what to do. He doesn’t think he can figure out life without his grandmother. He knows deep down that he must figure it out and make her proud. She left hidden notes in the house of all her favorite things, and to whom they will go too. Everyone found the hidden notes, but Louis. He knew deep down that she would haven’t forgotten about him. He picked out the Hickory chair, since it meant so much to him. A long time past, and Louie is now a grandfather, and his granddaughter founds a note…..that note was from his grandmother saying the Hickory Chair belongs to him. I loved this book so much! It was a book that talked about disabilities, and about death. I loved how in the book, it shows the reader that he lived a normal life and figured out how to get around. This book is another great read! This book also shows that his family treats him like everyone else. ( )
  lsalone | Apr 9, 2018 |
I loved this book. The story is so welcoming. The adjectives use really let the reader imagine using their sense of touch and smell. The story is a about a boy, Louis, who is blind, but that does not hold him back from the activities he does with his cousins. He still plays hide and seek. The love the family members have for each other is heartwarming. I like how the grandmother describes her grandchildren as her favorite, but in all different ways. Louis was her favorite youngest. There was also a favorite tallest. When I read the last page, I got goosebumps. The thing he loved doing with his grandmother, rocking in the chair, was what held his note for song long, but was only found by his granddaughter doing the same thing he did as a child. The hickory chair brought the family together in many ways and many generations. I like how the author also highlighted Louis' blindness. To him it wasn't a disability. He could tell who people were by their smells or the sound of their voices. When everyone was looking for their hidden notes, he was the one that found the most. ( )
  rmajeau | Nov 14, 2017 |
Louis is a little boy that is blind. His grandmother says he has blind sight. He can find things with his scent. When his grandma dies, she leaves notes in the items she wants certain family members to have. Louis finds most of them with his blind sight. His family sees he is finding them with his blind sight, so the author portrays the disability of being blind as advantage to find the notes. ( )
  kmparnell | Nov 8, 2017 |
This book meant so much to me because of my relationship with my grandmother and this reminded me of all the love she has to give to each and every person. Also, I was very appreciative of how they incorporated the protagonists blindness into the story without making it the main focus of the story. Overall, the book was very well constructed. ( )
  lpittman | Apr 27, 2017 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590522485, Hardcover)

"I loved Gran's smell, and her warm face when we played touch-your-nose at the gold mirror, and her salty kisses when we sat on Gramps's old army trunk in the attic and listened to the wind sing on the roof."

Blind since birth, Louis uses all his senses to love his grandmother and feel her love for him. When she dies and Louis seems to have been forgotten in the family treasure hunt Gran arranged in lieu of a will, he must hold on to his knowledge of her love for him and his memories of her smell--"lilacs, with a whiff of bleach"--and her "molasses voice" to know he could never have been overlooked. It is a lifetime later, when Louis is a grandfather himself, that his conviction is affirmed by his "favorite youngest grandchild's" discovery in Gran's much-loved hickory chair.

Nothing is overdone in Lisa Rowe Fraustino's beautiful story that shows the profound power of "blind sight," Gran's term for Louis's ability to "see" so much. And the exquisite paintings, in oils and fabric collage by artist Benny Andrews (Sky Sash So Blue) have a tactile appeal, drawing in the reader to Louis's world, as though we are seeing the way he does. (Ages 6 to 10) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:21 -0400)

A blind boy tells of his warm relationship with his grandmother and the gift she left for him after her death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,034,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible