The World of Dick and Jane and Friends by…

The World of Dick and Jane and Friends (edition 2004)

by William S. Gray (Author)

Collects three of the original readers from the 1940s and 1950s featuring Dick and Jane, their little sister Sally, their parents, Spot the dog, and Puff the cat. Our second Dick and Jane treasury is here! The World of Dick and Jane and Friends is a compilation of some of the best-loved Dick and Jane titles. The treasury includes stories parents and grandparents will remember from Guess Who, The New We Come and Go, and The New We Look and See. Share a classic treasury with a new generation of Dick and Jane readers, who will love the Dick and Jane Stories as much as you did!… (more)
Member:SarahTeVelde
Title:The World of Dick and Jane and Friends
Authors:William S. Gray (Author)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (2004), 192 pages

Work Information

The World of Dick and Jane and Friends by Scott Foresman and Company

Summary of Book: This is a book that is only a few pages, but shows Dick, Jane, and Sally finding toys, and looking for colorful items on the front steps of their home. It is even structured to build in mild forms of rhyming among the pages.

Personal Reaction to Book: I like the fact that the book deals with number sequencing, introduces colors, focuses on sharing, rhyming, and it introduces no less than 18 basic pre-k and kindergarten level sight words. Additionally, the amazingly simple yet captivating illustrations on EVERY page are riveting to kids of this age. Lastly, as with most Dick and Jane books authored by Gray, they are heavily repetitive, which the children are drawn to. They want to listen to a book they are familiar with, in my experience.

Extension Ideas: I would take a blanket outside and read this book to the kids, since most Dick and Jane books, this one included, use outdoor space and invoke the idea of playing outside in warmth and sunshine. I would pick a day where the temperature was moderate, and I could release them for some free play time after we read it a couple of times and discussed it. ( )
  Dowrox | Jul 5, 2016 |
reprint of:
Guess Who
New We Come and Go
New We Look and See

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,831,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible