These is my Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes…

These is my Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 (P.S.) (1998)

by Nancy E. Turner

In a novel based on the life of the author's ancestor, Sarah Prine, a child of the westward expansion, records her dreams, marriage, adventures, joys, and sorrows in her diary.
    The Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas (clee67)
    Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls (Electablue)
    One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus (bnbookgirl)
    My Old True Love: A Novel by Sheila Kay Adams (glade1)
    glade1: Another 19th Century historical novel told from the point of view of a strong female character, and an excellent read.
    Between Earth and Sky by Amanda Skenandore (thea-block)
    thea-block: Both books based in same time period, dealing with white/Native relations and living in middle America. Similar tone and understanding.
    A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich (dara85)
    Journal of Callie Wade by Dawn Miller (dara85)
    dara85: Even though they are different times they are both frontier stories.
    True Women by Janice Woods Windle (countrylife)
    countrylife: Family memoir as novel of pioneer women in Texas.
    Tomboy Bride: A Woman's Personal Account of Life in Mining Camps of the West by Harriet Fish Backus (JennB1976)

A bit too much romance for my taste, but well done, aside from that. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
From the very first page I was completely caught up in this authentic-feeling account of frontier life in the Arizona Territories. It’s loosely based on journals the author’s grandmother kept and mixes hardship and tragedy with one of the most enduring romances I’ve ever come across. I especially liked the rich historical detail in its description of Tucson at the turn of the century. So nice to know it’s the first of a three-part series. ( )
  wandaly | Sep 6, 2018 |
I have a weakness for books about people who love books. This is one of these. It's written as a diary of a woman living in the Arizona territory in the late 1800s. It was predictable at times, but I loved the characters and the story. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
I read a segment of this story many years ago and never got around to reading the entire book. Well, now I am glad I finally did!

Although written as a diary entries, this is a fictionalized account loosely based on the author's great grandmother's life. I won't say this is always a cheerful story, because the author often depicts the darker aspects of living in Arizona Territories. However, this is also a story about love, family, respect and diligence. The most poignant passages did not focus on grand events, but instead the main character's appreciation of the little things such as the kindness of neighbors or a passionate kiss from her beloved.

I am now looking forward to reading the next book in the series, Sarah's Quilt.

Favorite Quotes:

"Mama told me to make a special point to remember the best times of my life. There are so many hard things, and latching onto the good things will give you strength to endure."

“Education doesn't keep a person from being a fool and the lack of it doesn't keep a person from being intelligent.”

"It seems as if I can only think if I write in my journal, it connects the part of my head that is busy doing things with the part that is busy thinking about everything else." ( )
  This-n-That | Nov 17, 2017 |
This book was inspired by some of the author's family memoirs and features Sarah Prine, a woman who lived in the Arizona Territory in the late 1800s. Sarah begins recording her life from the time she was a young girl in 1881 until about 1901. She and her family are heading west from Texas when tragedy strikes. There is death, and Indian attacks, and Sarah is forced to save some young girls from rape. She is also shown respect as a warrior when a young Indian pays tribute to her in a way that is most familiar to him. When she finds an abandoned wagon filled with books, we see just how much she wants to learn to read and the price she's going to pay to take those books with her to Arizona.

This is not a book filled with fun and excitement. It's a look at the day to day struggle that pioneer families had to go through to find a place they could call home. There's quite a bit of tragedy and your heartstrings will be pulled numerous times during the book. Sarah finds marriage and happiness, but not necessarily at the same time.

I've owned this book for quite a while and despite the great reviews I just never picked it up. It starts off a bit slow but by the time I was a quarter of the way through, I just couldn't put it down. If you enjoy American historical fiction set in the west, I definitely recommend this book. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
For everyone who has ever stood alone on a hill in a storm
A storm is rolling in, and that always makes me a little sad and wistful so I got it in my head to set to paper all these things that have got us this far on our way through this heathen land.
No one can eat. We have drank our tears for food.
I am making a rag rug with scraps the Maldonados gave me from all their children’s old worn out clothes. I told them what a happy rug it would be as it carries all the children’s laughter with it
It seems as if I can only think if I write my journal, it just connects the part of my head that is busy doing things with the part that is busy thinking about everything else.
... our home is Arizona Territory. There’s too much blood spilt on that land to leave it. It costs to live there, and we’ve both paid a price.
Now he is back, and I feel like my arm or something has been missing and now is returned to me. It is a hard feeling to describe, it is like the smell after a rain, and a paper journal will not hold the feeling of it.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,957,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible