Strange Places: a Memoir of Mental Illness…

Strange Places: a Memoir of Mental Illness

by Will Elliott

The book is certainly strange - watching the disintegration of a young man's personality is painful. I've known three people this has happened to, and shared a house with one. I'm all for the legalisation of marijuana but in the author's case and two of the three people I knew who became schizophrenic, marijuana was certainly a huge factor, although whether it was part of the problem, became part of a perceived solution, or is just a red herring I don't know.

Its a difficult book to critique, it would be like critising someone's diary, I can't do that. Definitely an intesting reading experience - up until the last few chapters which have nothing to do with schizophrenia and are all about Will Elliot making it as an author and are thoroughly boring and reduced a four-star book to three stars. ( )
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
This short but utterly compelling account of one man's descent into psychosis and desperate attempt to free himself from stagnating and become a published author. Which he does, check out the frenetic whirlwind of oddity that is "The Pilo Family Circus". If the topic seems depressing it isn't, shocking, compelling and wryly humourous are better discriptions. Elliot manage to get depict a compltely alien journey, grounded by deep honesty and to be honest he describes it all much better than than I ever could:

"I've been places that no one else on this planet will ever go. Me, I've lived for a short time as a werewolf. As a vampire. As a revolutionary. As a psychic. As a magician. As someone who cannot be hurt by physical force. As someone who can speak to the dead...I have lived as Jesus Christ. I have been he who knows all. You see, all this is true, because, for a while, it was all real." ( )
  clfisha | Nov 17, 2009 |
Where am I?

In 2006 Will Elliott had his first novel The Pilo Family Circus published.

It won five literary awards and great acclaim, nationally and internationally. What nobody knew was that the young author of that work of terrifying fantasy had recently recovered from a psychotic episode and been diagnosed as schizophrenic.

Strange Places takes us on a journey through psychosis and out the other side, documenting the delusions, the drugs and the insights that recovery brings. A beautifully written memoir of a harrowing -- and enlightening -- time, from one of Australia′s best young writers

In 2006 Will Elliott had his first novel The Pilo Family Circus published. It won literary awards and acclaim nationally and internationally. What nobody knew was that the young author of that work of terrifying fantasy had just recovered from a psychotic episode and been diagnosed as a schizophrenic. This is his memoir.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,777,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible