Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir…

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Rhoda Janzen (Author)

Series: Rhoda Janzen memoir (book 1)

A hilarious and moving memoir--in the spirit of Anne Lamott and Nora Ephron--about a woman who returns home to her close-knit Mennonite family after a personal crisis.
Member:baruthcook
Title:Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home
Authors:Rhoda Janzen (Author)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2009), Edition: 1, 256 pages
Rating:**

Work Information

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen (2009)

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both of these books deal with a woman looking for meaning and trying to deal with failed relationships in their past -- one travels the world, the other goes home, but both have written heartfelt and funny memoirs about the experience.
    The Possibility of Everything - A Memoir by Hope Edelman (Alliebadger)
    The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance: A Memoir by Elna Baker (LAKobow)
    Love Shrinks: A Memoir of a Marriage Counselor's Divorce by Sharyn Wolf (FFortuna)
    I'm Down: A Memoir by Mishna Wolff (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books are funny and thoughtful memoirs of somewhat unusual childhoods.

Adult nonfiction; humor/memoir. Rhoda writes super funny commentary about her life as she undergoes a hysterectomy followed by a divorce to her bipolar husband (who leaves her for a man named Bob from Gay.com). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This is proof that I do not prefer memoirs. It is a book of memories that does not become a story with an ending. There are episodes of her childhood life and habits of her mother that are humorous. What a life she had with a husband who was bipolar even while dating. I still had a hard time with why the author felt this religious life was fine for even her sister yet not for her. It was like she was justifying it to the public but saying it is OK for some people but not all. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
I wanted to like this more, especially since it was written by a friend of a friend but it just didn't do much for me. Parts of it were funny but overall her story seemed to ramble on a little too much. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
Bawdy, rated R to X but funny, very very funny!😄 ( )
  bibliophileofalls | Mar 4, 2020 |
Memoir of a scholarly woman who has left her Mennonite background to pursue a life of educational/literary work. The first few chapters are some major surgeries that she has to have done, a hysterectomy and then after a bad car accident. We also learn that her husband left her for another man between the two happening. Then she tells us stories about moving out of the Midwest and back in with her parents who are still practicing Mennonites. This is where the book got better for me for the most part. Several times through out the book it seems that she is using it more as a way of catharsis to get over her husband and her failed marriage. But all in all a good book. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Aug 25, 2019 |
“Mennonite in a Little Black Dress” is loose and gossipy, organic and unhurried without losing control. It has “a real nice shape,” to use a compliment one matchmaker applies to Janzen herself... I loved this book, and Rhoda Janzen. She is a terrific, pithy, beautiful writer, a reliable, sympathetic narrator and a fantastically good sport.

Belongs to Series

For Mary Loewen Janzen
The year I turned forty-three was the year I realized I should have never taken my Mennonite genes for granted.
"When you're young, faith is often a matter of rules. What you should do and shouldn't do, that kind of thing. But as you get older, you realize that faith is really a matter of relationship - with God, with the people around you, with the members of your community" (p 137)
Wrapped in his own misery and despair, he was incapable of the simple practiced presence that love demands. (p 171)
I'd never minded the little things in Nick's behavior; I'd never even noticed them. It was after Nick had left me that I learned the lesson: it's when you don't love somebody that you do notice the little things. Then you mind them. You mind them terribly. (p 181)

Not long after Rhoda Janzen turned forty, her world turned upside down. It was bad enough that her husband of fifteen years left her for Bob, a guy he met on Gay.com, but that same week a car accident left her injured. Needing a place to rest and pick up the pieces of her life, Rhoda packed her bags, crossed the country, and returned to her quirky Mennonite family's home, where she was welcomed back with open arms and offbeat advice. (Rhoda's good-natured mother suggested she get over her heartbreak by dating her first cousin—he owned a tractor, see.)

Written with wry humor and huge personality—and tackling faith, love, family, and aging—Mennonite in a Little Black Dress is an immensely moving memoir of healing, certain to touch anyone who has ever had to look homeward in order to move ahead.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rhoda Janzen's book Mennonite In A Little Black Dress was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,843,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible