Murder in the Name of Honor by Rana Husseini

Murder in the Name of Honor (2009)

by Rana Husseini

I've heard of these so-called 'honor killings' (one quite recently) and it's a really disgusting tradition and seems to go against everything Islam teaches. The sheer waste of life is mind-boggling - and over such small issues!! I think Husseini did an excellent job of writing about this topic and some of the stories she mentioned were very chilling! Wish she would have provided websites for those who wanted to look more in-depth on the subject or other book titles/authors. Never heard of the book she mentions, but was glad she brought it to her readers' attentions. ( )
  briannad84 | Aug 8, 2012 |
This is a hard read for anyone who is disgusted by the domination of one person over another. I had to read this book in chunks which is not like me.

This is not saying this book is not well written or the subject matter not important or interesting. This book depicts a lifestyle unknown to the average U.S person.

I have had the pleasure of being able to communicate with the author of this book . She is truly courageous to tell this story of the victimized women in her country. She herself has received multiple death threats. ( )
1 vote mikomi6 | Aug 2, 2011 |
I wanted to give this book lots of stars so people would be enticed to read it and learn more about honor killings. Things were looking good for a high rating after the first several chapters which interestingly recount the author’s personal experiences investigating and reporting on honor killings in Jordan. (The author is a newspaper reporter there.) However, the final chapters of the book, in which the author details honor killings in other countries, were kind of tedious.

One issue I had with the book was that a few details presented about US honor killings were somewhat different than information provided in other sources I’ve read. For example this book mentions how Soraia Salem ‘said the system failed her sister’ Tina Isa who was murdered by her parents in an honor killing, suggesting that Soraia was upset about Tina’s death. Other sources present Soraia as participating in the planning of the Tina’s murder, which is not mentioned in this book. It could just be that this book sought to fit in mention of every US case so some details had to be spared, but it did leave me wondering what was left out of other cases discussed in the book.

Nevertheless, you might want to check out this book. The fact that there was just a reported honor killing attempt in Arizona yesterday (October 21, 2009) shows the book's relevance even for those American readers who don't like to worry about things that happen outside of US borders. ( )
  LBM007 | Oct 22, 2009 |
To my mother Randa Saifi-Husseini, my mentor, who taught me the joys of life and showed me the value of being grateful for every good thing that happens to me.

To my late father Ahmad Husseini, who dedicated himself to make sure we lived the best life. He did not live to see my accomplishments but I live better knowing that he would have been proud

To my brother Moutaz, who has continuously shown support for my work and who still looks out for his little sister.
(Foreword) As I write this foreword, CNN is broadcasting the footage of a young woman being publicly stoned to death by a lynch mob, while the police just stand by watching.
(Introduction) Imagine your sister or daughter being killed for chewing gum, for laughing at a joke in the street, for wearing make-up or a short skirt, for choosing her own boyfriend/husband or becoming pregnant.
(Chapter 1) In summer the temperature in Jordan soars to the unpleasantly high thirties.
Amazingly, the USA seems to be startingly unaware of so-called honor killings.

A hard-hitting and controversial examination of honor crimes. Claiming the life of 5,000 women every year, the practice is common in many traditional societies around the world, as well as in migrant communities in Europe and the USA.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,542,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible