Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete…

The vampire-hunting teenager fights more monsters.

Better than season one. About half of it follows the pattern of the first season (monster shows up, buffy kills it), while the rest is full-on soap opera. The former is getting tedious, while the latter is uneven but interestingly unpredictable.

Concept: C
Music: D

Enjoyment: B

GPA: 2.4/4 ( )
  comfypants | Nov 18, 2015 |
There's no better television than this--Season Two might very well be Buffy's best season. I know it's my favorite and for me the most powerful. In that this season is on a much higher level than the first. Don't get me wrong--I greatly enjoyed that first season. I have no complaints, nothing that I wish had been done differently. It's witty, funny and the characters quickly endeared themselves to me. But Season Two has an amazing story arc and is darker and deeper in its emotions.

The episodes you'll see listed on Best of Lists? The earliest is "School Hard" (3), which introduces Spike and Drusilla. Those characters alone made for a stronger season--both made much more engaging and fascinating villains than the Master from the first season. The real story arc though starts mid-season with "Surprise" (13) and "Innocence" (14). It's not an original observation but a common place that both those episodes take the Buffy the teen-years-are-hell horror and fantasy metaphor to its heights. "Passion" (17) is a shocker. In case you're actually reading this review before watching, I won't say why, except that with it Joss Whedon proved he can mess with all your expectations for a television show and that no character is safe--and even having seen it before, the ending had me in tears. "I Only Have Eyes for You" (19) is another fan favorite--the scene between Buffy and Angel at the end having poignancy at two levels. And the last episodes of the Season, "Becoming, Part One and Two" (21 and 22)? Well, they're something special. Maybe my favorite of the entire series. A friend said the show sealed the deal with her with the last episode of Season One, "Prophecy Girl," but it was the last episode of Season Two that cemented Buffy as one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. The nature of the price she willingly paid defines heroism to me and reminded me of another favorite character, Captain Kirk of Star Trek. Buffy can make heart-breaking choices, and with this one my heart broke with her.

But there are other episodes in the season that stand out for me one way or another. The very first episode of the Season, "When She Was Bad" was memorable because of Cordelia acting like a real friend in telling off Buffy. Cordelia--the character that in last season I most loved to hate. The entire season is amazing alone just for the development of her character--and she has no finer moment than when in "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" (16) she tells Harmony she's a "sheep." "Halloween" (6) is a favorite for several reasons. For one, it's the first glimpse we have that sweet Willow is made of stronger stuff--that she has qualities of leadership. And she has the best and funniest line in the episode when she says, "She couldn't have dressed as Xena?" (You have to be there.) "Lie to Me" (7) is another favorite, especially for the bit between Buffy and Giles at the very end. And "The Dark Age" (8) gives Giles more dimension by showing he does have a dark side. Oh, and hey, this is the season that introduces Oz--the Season would get bonus points for that alone. That leaves Xander. He's a character I found problematic throughout the series--particularly for his dog-in-the-manger qualities and there's a moment in the very last episode where I wish I could thrash him. On the other hand, he has his moments, and one of the finest is in "Killed by Death" (18) when this ordinary boy with no superpowers refuses to stand aside and let Buffy be hurt.

Some would name Season Three as Buffy's best--and it's a good candidate. I'm not saying the third is the lesser season. Just that Season Two is the one that definitely pulled the most at my heart. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Nov 25, 2011 |
Great season! After watching the first season on Netflix, couldn't get enough of this show! This is really where the series took off. The first season was a little strange, but considering it was made as a mid-season replacement for another show. ( )
  Laura_Jean | Jul 6, 2011 |
I suspect many people don't believe that the show truly began until Spike and Dru entered the scene. Angel was never better than when he was bad. And the ending, the saddest ending ever, defined heroism and honor. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Mar 12, 2011 |

Is contained in

Contains

Inca Mummy Girl [1997 Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV Episode] by Gail Berman

When She Was Bad [1997 Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV Episode] by Gail Berman

Some Assembly Required [1997 Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV Episode] by Gail Berman

School Hard [1997 Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV Episode] by Gail Berman

• Reptile Boy
• Halloween
• Lie to Me
• The Dark Age
• What's My Line (Part 1)
• What's My Line (Part 2)
• Ted
• I Only Have Eyes for You
• Go Fish
• Becoming (Part 1)
• Becoming (Part 2)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,784,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible