Serenity by Joss Whedon

Authors:Joss Whedon
Info:Dark Horse (2006), Paperback
Tags:graphic novel, science fiction

Serenity: Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon

Serenity: Float Out by Patton Oswalt (ghilbrae)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (Jannes)
    Jannes: Retribution falls is, for better or worse, essentially Firefly/Serenity in steampunk drag.
    My Own Kind of Freedom by Steven Brust (ghilbrae)
    ghilbrae: Highly recommendable fan fiction by the author of The Phoenix Guards, very true to the show.

This graphic novel was a worthy follow-up of the Firefly series. While not fantastic as far as graphic novels go, it genuinely felt like a continuation of the series. It felt as if it were a small, self-contained episode. The writing was clever, the artwork generally good, and the intro to the book by Nathan Fillion made it all feel very much worthwhile. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I liked the story in this one and all the concept artwork sprinkled in was really cool ( )
  JillKenna | Dec 6, 2017 |
So, I had some library fines. A book that I checked out for Jefferson was left lying on the living room floor. Solomon picked it up, and with seemingly no effort at all, popped one of the sections right out of the binding. I inquired at the library, and there was no repair option. Basically, I had to pay $20 to replace the book. I spent a lot of time grousing and contemplating options and avoiding the library entirely until one night my husband asked if I would be willing to donate $20 to the library. "Of course!" I answered. So he suggested I take a twenty to the library for the fine and tell them to keep the change as a donation. Somehow that changed it entirely, and off to the library I went.

My brother-in-law came along to pick out some dvds, and as I made my selection immediately, I got bored waiting for him and started to wander. And finally found the adult graphic novel section! (Not "adult" as in "naughty," of course, but "adult," as in not children's or young adult.) I circled the stacks and was delighted to find a copy of Buddha, Vol. 3, the next in the series that I hadn't read. Inspired by this success, I tromped over to the young adult graphic novel section and checked out the Whedon selection, as I had yet to read any of his comics and was curious. Of course, I ended up picking up this copy of Serenity.

It's strange, switching to a comics format after a much-beloved TV series. Both genres are of course so visual, and it took a little bit of time to get used to the artist's renderings of such familiar characters. In particular, there was one character who was not a regular, but had only previously appeared in a single episode. He was referred to by name once, and it seemed familiar, but I was left examining his face for pages, hunting for clues that I had identified him correctly. What finally nailed it for me was the dialog. As soon as the character got a change to make a speech, I could hear his voice ringing in my ears.

I do sympathize with the task of drawing for this kind of comic. Instead of getting to invent the look of your characters afresh -- to be bound to representing those characters as they were portrayed by actors. Certainly it's a skill I'm lacking. Some of the drawings were wonderful. But I can't keep from mentioning that in nearly every frame containing Simon my brain was screaming, "Who in the 'verse are you trying to draw here?"

Anyway, it was interesting to get a glimpse of how the story moved from Point A (the end of the series) to Point B (the beginning of the movie). I know, sometimes such things are better left a mystery, but I can't look away. I'll have to go pick up the next in the series... ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Loved it! I really wish there were more than just 3 Firefly graphic novels. I loved the show and love being able to revisit the Firefly world. ( )
  J_Colson | Nov 30, 2017 |
After the cruel and heart-wrecking cancelation of Firefly, many of us were left desperate to know about how our anti-heroes fared in the ‘verse. Thankfully, Whedon and Co. stepped in to tell us. These four volumes, spanning the time before Firefly to long after Serenity, are extensions of the bigger story. From the Shepherd’s background, to general mayhem, to what happened after Serenity, these stories carry us back to that world and those people whom we loved so much.
Most reviews are meant to either deter would-be readers or entice – but truthfully, I seek to do neither. If you are a Firefly fan, you’ll read these, because they are cannon. They are the stories we would have seen on TV and didn’t get to because FOX is an asshole. ( )
  empress8411 | Nov 21, 2017 |

Whedon, Jossprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Conrad, WillIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Matthews, Brettmain authorall editionsconfirmed
And so I say to you on this fine day, citizens of Constance, that your lives are not defined by that with which you enter this world, but rather with what you leave behind on it.
Please do not combine this record that is Volume 1 with the individual Part/Issue that is #1.

In a universe filled with hearts and minds as cold and dark as the reaches of space, one small Firefly-class starship named Serenity takes its ragtag crew of mercenaries, outlaws, and fugitives in search of a job, any job, that'll earn them enough cash to afford that most elusive commodity, peace.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,024,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible