Oishinbo à la Carte: Izakaya: Pub Food by…

Oishinbo à la Carte: Izakaya: Pub Food

by Tetsu Kariya

I picked this volume up since it sounded the mos interesting of all the ones in the library. Since there were a couple of volumes it was pretty easy to figure out that it was a rather long running manga series and each volume is bits and pieces from the chronology. A bit of an odd choice.

That being said, the stories are good and the description of the food is wonderful. There's a "recipe" included in the front of each volume, but the description of food usually gave one enough of an idea of what it was. I wish I had noticed the glossary/page notes in the back earlier.

The translation felt a little rough at points, but I suspect translating literature about food is difficult due to the large number of cultural references that a non-native reader might not catch.

I liked this enough I think I'll try reading some of the other volumes. Might even try cleaning some ( )
  JonathanGorman | Nov 7, 2010 |
i've been reading the other books in the series and i really like them. the choice of doing the "a la carte" edition sometimes strikes me as questionable since bits and pieces of the story are given to you in a sort of random fashion. anyway, this one is enjoyable, the character of Kaibara Yuzan (the father) doesn't appear here which is a rest from the usual structure of the episodes. ( )
  eeio | Oct 29, 2010 |

"Izakaya occupy the same vital space in the Japanese culinary landscape as tapas bars in Spain or tavernas in Greece. Unpretentious, frequently boisterous, they're places to meet with friends or business partners to unwind over drinks and small dishes that range from hearty standards to refined innovations. In this volume of Oishinbo, Yamaoka and Kurita investigate classic izakaya foods such as edamame and yakitori, devise new dishes to add to the menu of an old shop, and discover how the concept of 'play' is essential to the enjoyment of food."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,528,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible