The Sound of Water: A Novel by Sanjay…

The Sound of Water: A Novel

by Sanjay Bahadur

Review; The Sound of Water by Sanjay Bahadur.

For being Sanjay Bahadur first book I feel he did a fabulous job. Well written, captivating and strong. The author unfolds a story about of a small India community of people and a life only coal miners experience down deep under the folds of dirt and rocks through the tunnels of their uncertain fate.

Sanjay Bahadur uses vignettes to weave through the creation of his novel to relate both the characters complicated plot of Indian life as well as the dangers of the government officials of their country. I liked the way he was descriptive and informative. I felt it made the story more intriguing. I believe he can be a promising writer for his readers.

It was a quick read with a lasting impression. I do think he could have added more to the story at the end but it still was a great novel and I highly recommend it.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Some books are great because they take you to a place you will never go, other books introduce you to people or a life you will never experience. Fewer can do both, but the Sound of Water accomplishes just that.

Small vignettes weave the story through a coal mine accident deep in India. This book is both character study of people from the various, complicated strata of Indian life as well as a warning against materialism and the dangers the "beast" of a bureaucracy. The sections on the actual mining operations are fascinating and manage to keep up interest.

Beautifully written and fraught with philosophy, it is not necessarily an easy read, mostly because its English is Indian. Still, once I picked up the rhythm I breezed through it and it was well worth the effort. ( )
  kshaffar | Jun 28, 2009 |
There was neither non-existence nor existence then:
There was no realm of air, no sky beyond it.
What covered in, and where? and what gave shelter? Was water there, unfathomed depth of water?
Death was not then, nor was there aught immortal: no sign was there, the day's and night's divider.
That One Thing, breathless, breathed by its own nature: apart from it was nothing whatsoever.
Darkness there was: at first concealed in darkness. This all was watery chaos.
All that existed then was void and formless: by the great power of Warmth was born that Unit.
--from the Nasadiya Sukta of Rig Veda (Hymn 129 of the 10th Mandala) based on translation by Ralph T.H. Griffith, 1896
If there were water
And no rock
If there were rock
And also water
And water
A spring
A pool among the rock
If there were the sound of water only
Not the cicada
And dry grass singing
But sound of water over a rock
Where the hermit-thrush sings in the pine trees
Drip drop drip drop drop drop drop
But there is no water
---T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land
In memory of Fate Jung Bahadur, officer, gentleman, thinker, book lover, and my father
It is comfortable in the tombdark womb of the earth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,583,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible