Dangerous Obsessions by Blake Deveraux

This is not an easy book for me; truth be told I had to start it two times before being able to finish it, mainly since I had to find the courage to go over the first chapters, about a young man and his downfall towards Inferno.

When Daniel meets Brandon, the scene seems pretty much an ordinary romance; Daniel is a former Marine, with apparently a big heart, big enough to welcome and love damaged Brandon; Brandon is like a Fallen Angel, beautiful like an angel but with a dark past haunting him like all the fallens. The meeting of these two should be Brandon’s ticket to happiness, but instead the young man is not able to accept Daniel’s love. He puts himself into situations that are reasons for Daniel to cast him away, but instead Daniel is always ready to forgive and accept Brandon for who he is, more than Brandon is able to accept himself.

At first I thought the damaged one was only Brandon, but then we found that also Daniel has reasons to regret his past and maybe some sins he wants to expiate; maybe helping and loving Brandon is also a way to expiate those sins.

There is a lot of sex in Dangerous Obsessions, not always consensual sex and not always between Daniel and Brandon; for these two to become an exclusive couple the path is long, and probably not even the length of the novel will be enough. I had the feeling that both of them are arriving from experience where the sex, more than an intimate experience, was almost a bartering good, something you use to reach or buy something else. There are few times, when they are together, that I can see between them can be different, but as I said, the journey is long and full of obstacles.

I’m not sure I’m totally comfortable with recommending this novel to all the readers without warning. It can be an intense read, but you have to be prepared. And if you are more the romantic type, the one who wants to see everything through a pink glasses perspective, then maybe this is a little too strong for you.

elisa.rolle | Aug 4, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,549,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible