Peter & Max: A Fables Novel (Fables…

Peter & Max: A Fables Novel (Fables (Unnumbered)) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Bill Willingham, Steve Leialoha (Illustrator)

5203329,135 (3.79)26
Member:2stepnk8
Title:Peter & Max: A Fables Novel (Fables (Unnumbered))
Authors:Bill Willingham
Other authors:Steve Leialoha (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages

Peter & Max: A Fables Novel by Bill Willingham (2009)

The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm by Jacob Grimm (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Darker and scarier and grimmer than anything ever written ...
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Stardust is not as dark, but these book share a similar feel and tone.

This was the first book I read on my new Nook. It was a very enjoyable experience. As to the book itself, it started off slow and a little boring but the story quickly picked up after the first few chapters. It really helps to be familiar with the Fable graphic novels. The author gives a good introduction to the universe, but you'll enjoy it more having read the comics. I still think Willingham is better suited to comic book writing, but this was a good read overall.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
I love this book.

Peter & Max manages to be both fantasy, and a very believable story about people. You don't need to know anything about the author's graphic novel series, you just have to enjoy good, compelling storytelling. ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |
I liked this book a lot but must admit that my prior knowledge of the comic book Fable (one of my favorite comics) probably helped further my enjoyment. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
a fables novel
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |

I read most of Bill Willingham's Fables series of graphic stories back in 2008-11 when they were getting Hugo nominations, but rather lost interest after the big battle between our heroes and their enemy was resolved in Volume 11 (of at least 19). This however is a spinoff prose novel, explaining the tortuous relationships between Peter Piper, Bo Peep and Peter's evil brother Max, coming to a gruesome climax in medieval Hamelin with echoes through to the present day, where fairy tale characters are living under cover in New York.

It's gorgeously illustrated, clever and well-written, but not especially so, and while it's supposedly standalone with respect to the comics, I think they do crucially reinforce each other. So I can't recommend this to those who haven't tried (or don't want to try) the graphic stories it's rooted in. ( )
  nwhyte | Oct 7, 2016 |
The characters and stories are very engaging, the tension real, the mythos powerful. There's everything to like about Peter & Max, even if you've never cracked a Fables comic.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Nov 9, 2009)

Peter & Max isn’t a bad book, it just isn’t a good one, either. It’s a fast read with just enough substance to appeal to dedicated Fables fans, but it isn’t satisfying enough to recommend to anyone else.

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leialoha, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leialoha, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This novel is dedicated to Mike,
respected, admired and reliable friend,
who first explored these dark and
wonderful lands with me long ago,
before pen was ever put to paper.
For most of his long years, Peter Piper wanted nothing more than to live a life of peace and safety in some remote cozy cottage, married to his childhood sweetheart, who grew into the only woman he could ever love.
Somewhere in New York City there's a tiny, secretive neighborhood no one knows about except those who live there and a few scattered others in our wide world.

"When an unspeakable tragedy befalls a family of traveling minstrels, they become stranded and left for dead. Here in the heart of The Black Forest, Peter Piper and his older brother Max encounter ominous forces that will change them both irreparably. Thus begins an epic tale of sibling rivalry, magic, music and revenge that spans medieval times to the present day when their deadly conflict surfaces in the placid calm of modern-day Fabletown."--dust cover flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,090,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible