The Poison Eaters: And Other Stories by…

The Poison Eaters: And Other Stories (edition 2011)

by Holly Black, Theo Black (Illustrator)

Series: Modern Tales of Faerie (short stories)

A girl wagers her soul in a sour-gummy-frog-eating contest with the devil. Love and a homemade coat rescue a boy from his fairyland jailers. A newly bitten teenage vampire uses the Internet to show the world just how uncool the "cold" life is. In this collection of stories, the supernatural intersects with everyday life in surprising and dangerous ways.… (more)
Member:carletonsfa
Title:The Poison Eaters: And Other Stories
Authors:Holly Black
Other authors:Theo Black (Illustrator)
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:poison eaters, short stories, sfa, pb, bla

The Poison Eaters by Holly Black

Some stories were better than others, but enjoyable over all. ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Sep 17, 2020 |
Humble eBook Bundle 2
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Holly Black writes cities that I'd be both thrilled and terrified to find myself in.

Stories I liked:
"The Coldest Girl in Cold Town." A teenage girl tries to stay drunk to keep herself human, but then one of her old friends finds her and begs for her help.

"A Reversal of Fortune." Nikki is a poor girl with a rescued dog, a crush on her tattooed neighbor, and a constantly demanding stomach. To save her dog's life, she challenges the devil to an eating contest. I liked Nikki, and her personality and life felt unique and believable.

"The Dog King." Classic fantasy setting, but twisted and darkened with base human desires for power and revenge. A wolf stalks the courtiers of the king.

"Virgin" had an interchange I loved: "'Reading [fantasy] would depress me. People like us--we're not in those kind of books. They're not for us.'
I stared at her. It might have been the worst thing anybody had ever said to me.
Because no matter how much I thought about it, I couldn't make it feel any less true."

The Stories I loved:
"The Night Market." I don't know how accurate this story is, never having been to the Philippines myself, but it's delightfully novel to my eyes. Tomasa tries to save her sister from an elf's love sick curse. Her interactions with her family, the elf, and the Night Marketers are great, but what really captivated me were the twists Black threw into the classic story.

"The Coat of Stars." Rafael returns home and tries to hide behind noncommittal answers and gifts. But his sexuality, his artistry, and the painful loss he suffered years ago cannot stay hidden forever. A wonderful modern retelling of a classic fairy tale. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Great book of short stories. I really enjoy how she infuses her writing with emotion. Makes me want to go back and read her other work. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Black, Hollyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Black, TheodorIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Modern Tales of Faerie (short stories)
For Steve Berman,

who bullied me into being a better writer

and to whom I will always be grateful.
Matilda was drunk, but then she was always drunk anymore.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

Going Ironside

The Land of Heart’s Desire

The Poison Eaters

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Holly Black's book The Poison Eaters and Other Stories was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Small Beer Press

An edition of this book was published by Small Beer Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,701,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible