The Widow's Season by Laura Brodie

The Widow's Season (2009)

by Laura Brodie

English (11)  Spanish (1)  All (12)
A light, summer read with a bit of mystery that you can finish in a couple days. It's only 300 pages. ( )
  admccrae | Apr 3, 2013 |
The Basic Story: The opening line of the novel sets the scene perfectly: “Sarah McConnell’s husband had been dead three months when she saw him in the grocery story.” Right away, we are thrust into Sarah’s confusing world—where her grief and mourning play tricks on her mind. When she confesses her “vision” at a widow’s group, she finds support and empathy. After all, it is normal to “see” your loved ones when the loss is fresh and new. (I remember “seeing” my dad everywhere after he died. I’d glimpse a man with his build across the room and it would take my breath away. Of course, they always turned around and the illusion would be broken.) Complicating Sarah’s loss is that her husband David’s body was never recovered after his kayak was swept away in a flash flood. As Sarah attempts to create a life without David, she is forced to confront the realities of their marriage and some of her long-buried feelings. And as she continues to sense and feel David’s presence, she begins to wonder if the fact that David’s body was never found means something different after all.

My Thoughts: Oooohhh…this was so good! It had everything a good ghost story should—unease, dread, longing, hope, uncertainty and (finally) closure. Brodie does such a brilliant job of keeping you guessing about what is actually happening that you’ll be captivated until the very last page. I thought Sarah’s journey felt authentic and fully lived in. Sarah realizes that her marriage to David was flawed and possibly doomed. Their inability to have a child had created a wedge between them, and Sarah is forced to confront the reality that she wasn’t the best wife. Complicating things further is the presence of Nate—David’s younger and very handsome brother. Although Sarah doesn’t want to admit it, she’s always felt attracted to Nate and now she has the opportunity to pursue that feeling. Yet guilt and David’s presence make things tricky. I got very involved in Sarah’s story—and found myself conflicted about where I was hoping it would go. In the end, I think Brodie handled things fabulously and made all the right choices. If you’re looking for an emotionally involving novel that deals intelligently with the issues of grief, mourning, marriage and love, this would be an excellent choice. Highly recommended! ( )
  Jenners26 | Mar 18, 2011 |
Sarah's husband died three months before his ghost began appearing to her. She is confused, mourning her husband, trying to figure out how to deal with her life, and it's unclear what role the "ghost" is playing. I found this book mildly entertaining, confusing at times, not really compelling to read. There is a little surprise at the end that helps. ( )
  jovilla | Feb 24, 2010 |
The book begins, “Sarah McConnell’s husband had been dead three months when she saw him in the grocery store."

Reading the back cover of the new novel by Laura Brodie, I thought it would be a ghost story; but it's actually much more. It's also a romance, has an element of suspense and plot twists and turns, all made thoroughly enjoyable by Laura Bordie's beautiful writing style. Her descriptions make the people and places come to life.

In the story, Sarah McConnell is at a turning point in her life. She is 39 years old and a recent widow when she begins to see her dead husband. Her friends dismiss it as grief, but the body was never found. Was he still alive? Was that really him? Sarah begins to see him more often, talk with him and discuss all the things they should have discussed during the years of their marriage. She begins to dwell on the many paths not taken for either of them, the children they never had, the career choices they made. But who is she talking to? Is he alive, is he a ghost or is she having a nervous breakdown?

This book kept me captivated until the very end. I found myself liking the character and empathizing with her, even though I would not have done some of the things she did.To say any more about the plot would spoil the story. I, for one, am looking forward to future novels from Ms. Brodie. ( )
  UnderMyAppleTree | Dec 18, 2009 |
This book is about a woman who's husband dies in a flood but the body hasn't been found yet. They hold a memorial service. She gets paid the life insurance. They she starts seeing him.

I like books that kept me questioning and wondering what's true and what isn't. Good book. ( )
  CatheOlson | Oct 28, 2009 |

A mesmerizing debut novel about love, grief, and the ghosts who show up where we least expect them.

Sarah McConnell's husband had been dead for three months when she saw him in the grocery store.

What does a woman do when she's thirty-nine, childless, and completely alone for the first time in her life? Does it mean she's crazy to think she sees her late husband beside a display of pumpkins? Or is it just what people do, a natural response to grief that will fade in time? That's what Sarah McConnell's friends told her, that it was natural, would last a season, and then fade away.

But what if there was another answer? What if he was really there? They never found the body, after all. What if he is still here somehow, and about to walk back into her life?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:44 -0400)

Spotting her husband at a grocery store three months after his death, grieving young widow Sarah McConnell is reassured by friends that her experience is just a natural psychological response to her grief but wonders if her husband, whose body was never found, may still be alive.… (more)

Laura Brodie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,929,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible