A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

A Walk to Remember (1999)

by Nicholas Sparks

English (147)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (150)
It is a beautiful and moving story that you can easily connect. Both because of the story itself from real life and flowing writing style. The story written fluently and reliably. The hero shares with us all his internal thoughts and dilemmas that create immediate identification with him until the story ends. There is nothin moment in the book, every word and line "serve" the plot and all together create perfection. The writer has spared readers and denied us the details of Jimmy's bitter end, and for that I thank him.

As I read the book, it immediately occurred to me how appropriate it was to create a movie.

The book reinforces the message we all know (though forgotten by the mad race of life) that nothing in our world is self-evident.

It is strongly recommended to read the book. ( )
  Johenlvinson | Jan 13, 2019 |
Boy, I'll bet Erich Segal is pissed. This is Love Story all over again. Bleh. Boy knows Girl. Girl is dumpy & pious. Girl is transformed, Boy is redeemed, and they all go riding off into the sunset. Yuk. It might be titled, A Walk to Remember, but this is a story you've read or heard a thousand times; forgettable because it's so familiar. The only thing missing is a castle. ( )
  MeeshN_AZ | Oct 18, 2018 |
Yeah, so, this book was laying around our house and I'd not yet read it. I kept hearing about it, seeing it, and finally decided to see what the fuss is all about.

Yeah...

This book was too cliche for my taste. You can read the prologue and essentially get the full story. The writing is a bit sloppy, too repetitive for my taste, and didn't really do enough to elicit the feel of the times for me. I didn't much feel for the characters and thought them a bit too much like caricatures than real people. [b:To Kill a Mockingbird|2657|To Kill a Mockingbird|Harper Lee|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1361975680s/2657.jpg|3275794] did much more to explain childhood, coming of age, and the realization of just what people mean to you for me. Hell, even [b:A Prayer For Owen Meany|4473|A Prayer for Owen Meany|John Irving|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1260470010s/4473.jpg|1734019] did a better job of making me care than this did.

Looking into it all, it seems as if [a:Nicholas Sparks|2345|Nicholas Sparks|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1332884095p2/2345.jpg] may have written this for a relative of his who was dying of cancer. If that is the case, then I can understand a bit more why the book came off the way it did, but all the same, I still don't understand how this got as popular as it did in time. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
4.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
I've read this twice in the last few years. This is my third go-around. It's still the only Nicholas Sparks book I can tolerate. ( )
  ZoeWashburne | Feb 16, 2018 |

Sparks, Nicholasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bouchareine, ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Honkasaari, LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petrelli, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I was seventeen, my life changed forever.

What a valuable lesson this novel serves to teach. Those who may be different from us, status or otherwise, can be the most wonderful people to know.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446693804, Paperback)

In the prologue to his latest novel, Nicholas Sparks makes the rather presumptuous pledge "first you will smile, and then you will cry," but sure enough, he delivers the goods. With his calculated ability to throw your heart around like a yo-yo (try out his earlier Message in the Bottle or The Notebook if you really want to stick it to yourself), Sparks pulls us back to the perfect innocence of a first love.

In 1958 Landon Carter is a shallow but well-meaning teenager who spends most of his time hanging out with his friends and trying hard to ignore the impending responsibilities of adulthood. Then Landon gets roped into acting the lead in the Christmas play opposite the most renowned goody two-shoes in town: Jamie Sullivan. Against his best intentions and the taunts of his buddies, Landon finds himself falling for Jamie and learning some central lessons in life.

Like John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, Sparks maintains a delicate and rarely seen balance of humor and sentiment. While the plot may not be the most original, this boy-makes-good tearjerker will certainly reel in the fans. Look for a movie starring beautiful people or, better yet, snuggle under the covers with your tissues nearby and let your inner sap run wild. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

Every April, when the wind smells of both the sea and lilacs, Landon Carter remembers 1958, his last year at Beaufort High. Landon had dated a girl or two, and even once sworn that he'd been in love. Certainly the last person he thought he'd fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the shy, almost ethereal daughter of the town's Baptist minister ... Jamie, who was destined to show him the depths of the human heart--and the joy and pain of living.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,656,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible