Wish You Were Dead by Todd Strasser

Wish You Were Dead

by Todd Strasser

I found myself actually holding my breath at times while reading this book. The plot is a just so believable. The story is written in worded text, blogs with comments as well as email messages. Due to the strange login names you don't know who the people are until the end of the book. This is definitely a thriller and a mystery.

Students in a high school in an affluent area are disappearing. What do they have in common? They are the most popular kids, with money, looks and fame. Unfortunately they are not very nice to those outside their group. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
High schooler Madison tries to solve the disappearance of popular kids mentioned by an anonymous blogger as she herself feels stalked online. Tight murder mystery that explores the cliques and ostracism among high school students. First of a "thrillogy".

Second book is a stand alone: "Blood on My Hands" and while it is also a mystery involving high schoolers and modern technology (in this case a cell-phone pic that goes viral), the second book feels disjointed and harder to follow as the narrative jumps from present to past in Callie's effort to find frenemy Katherine's killer. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
Just about all the notes I want in a teen thriller: revenge, comeuppance, red herrings, and a bit of torture. Characters are distinct from each other; readers can tell apart even the background characters (though some of these are still fairly one-dimensional). Strasser’s writing is still more functional than lyrical, but the gripping plot will keep readers turning pages late into the night anyway. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
teeniethriller, it's ok. ( )
  juhudo | Jun 20, 2012 |
2.5 stars

Wish You Were Dead tells about the strange coincidence of a mysterious bloggers wish for all the mean popular kids and the sudden disappearance of well...mean popular kids.

This book...this book. I wanted to like it so bad but I just did not care about anything. The premise was something right up my alley. A mysterious bloggers wish comes true and a bunch of nasty kids get killed? Yes please! Sadly the execution fell flat.

My main issue with the novel is that all of the characters are stereotypes except for the main character who is popular and as sweet as they come. She's perfect. Which is annoying when she is the only one who defies a stereotype. We have the rich bitch, the typical jock, the goth/punk/whatever and the angry lesbian. NONE OF THEM HAD PERSONALITIES. Which I partially blame on the use of the first person.

The novel opens during a course of actions. Madison the main character and her goth crush are dropping off "rich bitch" Lucy when she is kidnapped. And from there the story develops. The main character does not give adequate background on characters, all we know is that "Character A" and "Character B" are friends but no longer. Why? What was the explosion that ended the relationship. My brain needs more information!

Also there are so many gaping plot holes. It's like the author had an idea, got bored with it, and expected us to forget as well.

The plot itself was decent. Although a bit predictable, it didn't keep me from guessing. The ending is what rose my final rating from a 2 start to a 2 and a half star. It was clever and entertaining, but that doesn't make up for the other 200 pages I struggled through. ( )
  HarkiQuinn | Aug 25, 2011 |

Madison, a senior at a suburban New York high school, tries to uncover who is responsible for the disappearance of her friends, popular students mentioned in the posts of an anonymous blogger, while she, herself, is being stalked online and in-person.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,690,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible