The Secret Intensity of Everyday Life by…

The Secret Intensity of Everyday Life (original 2009; edition 2010)

by William Nicholson (Author)

Series: Sussex novels (1)

"Laura is a happily married mother of two. But when her college boyfriend resurfaces after twenty years, she's forced to compare the passion of that first love with the domesticity of her suburban life in a gentrified English village. What if she'd stayed with him? Would she be happier? And what is happiness, really? Little does she know that many of her neighbors are struggling with their own personal crises. Among the cast of characters are a rector who has lost his faith, a school teacher who longs to be a screenwriter but receives only rejections, a struggling farmer who resents the influx of young professionals and their privileged offspring to this formerly rural area, and a journalist who can't stop sleeping with her ex, even though it's ruining her life"--Cover, p. 2.… (more)
Member:Albert_911
Title:The Secret Intensity of Everyday Life
Authors:William Nicholson (Author)
Info:Soho Press (2010), 346 pages

The Secret Intensity of Everyday Life by William Nicholson (2009)

English (5)  French (1)  All languages (6)
Every single chapter - no matter how short - was about a different character. Even around chapter 39 there were characters that I honestly didn't even recognize.
And the stories connected, but not enough to really justify the new-character-for-every-chapter jazz.

All in all, I was not a fan. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
The British seem to do family dramas so well. Laura gets a letter from an old boyfriend. He wants to meet after all these years, but Laura is happily married with two children. Why is she even tempted to respond to this letter? There are many other mini-dramas in this small English village and Nicholson expertly draws the reader along as we get to peek in on their secret intensities. This is a compelling read that deals with the real life dramas of everyday people, and is not "chick-litty" in any way. ( )
  hayduke | Apr 3, 2013 |
This book is not only about a woman whose ex-lover has reappeared in her life, as the front cover suggests. The book does start off with a chapter about the ex-lover getting in touch with Laura Broad, but this is actually a book about a Sussex village and its inhabitants, and takes place over the course of six days in 2000.

I felt it got off to a slow start, and I think that was because it was flitting around a bit and I didn't feel able to get my teeth into anybody's story. However, I quickly realised that this is a brilliantly written novel of life's dramas and mundanities, and I think the author did a very good job of interweaving many stories together. This is a book which creeps up on the reader and draws them in, and it certainly made me want to keep reading to the end to find out what happens to the characters.

I see that William Nicholson has a sequel coming out next month, and I'm really eager to read it.

I would definitely recommend it to anybody who likes a 'slice of life' story and a book where you care about the characters. ( )
  nicx27 | Aug 15, 2010 |
Another book I read at one go, virtually. On the train to London and on the way back the next day. ( )
  Adrianburke1 | Jul 10, 2010 |

Belongs to Series

She recognizes the handwriting on the envelope.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,605,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible